Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Maybe it just me...receiving contact and fixing/repairing contact are 2 different things.

But I understand and agree with repairing significant damage, but even there it's how soon.

That weekend, the next session? Best attempt at repair that weekend and fix it before the next race ?

I have OCD, any damage and the car is in the body shop unless its back to back weekend. My SM car is at Jim shop getting all pretty for the run-offs, I want to be the best damn looking car in last place. :)

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I have OCD, any damage and the car is in the body shop unless its back to back weekend. My SM car is at Jim shop getting all pretty for the run-offs, I want to be the best damn looking car in last place. :)

So if you had a back to back weekend, could you come on the 2nd weekend with this rule ?

Do you need 2 weeks? 30 day ? instead.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I think many of us have raced the second day of an event with tape and mismatched paint covering up a number of issues.  I rolled at Canada corner at the Runoffs, jacked the roof up and taped up the cracked windshield and was allowed to qualify the next day.  SCCA is not unreasonable about this stuff although there are some who screw with us over the slightest defect.  I think we have been pretty successful weeding out those individuals, although some have slipped through.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

AND ONE MORE BLACK MARK ON DAVE"S CAR AND HE"S OUT OF HERE!!!  :rotfl:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

You all realize that any action taken about dented SM cars came as a result of the SM community bitching about on track contact.  The discussion was that there would not be so much on track contact if the cars weren't dented before the green flag dropped.  In spite of that, the change in the rule is actually more liberal than the old rule, which allowed a steward to bust you for any damage.  The new rule says significant damage, which means they can't mess with you over any little ding.

Yeah and I think that asking drivers to enter cars in presentable condition and to keep them that way is a part of the solution. A small part.  It's disappointing though that after a year of in-action by the club to come up with some sort of contact review process that the Sprints surprise was about all we have to show for it.  I'm embarrassed that my home region was involved in that and also that in CENDIV we have a contact rule in the supps that has been ignored more by the stewards in its application than by the drivers. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I view the move at the sprints more as some sort of punishment by the club to stop us from complaining about their lack of action,not as any type of solution on how to stop the guy who is out there wadding up cars! I flat said that day if they don't change that bs I would never attend another super tour or majors event,enough of us stop showing up to those and they will change their tune quickly as regions will suffer who put on the event.

Now they then came back and backed way off which was the correct move,but I still feel like they just wanted to shut us up,not fix a problem.

I am not for any nasa contact system myself but we may need something in place that is a bit more aimed at curbing real repeat offenders.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

The contact review process is out for member input and there will be something done about it next season.  Some of the cars at the Sprints had damage on every panel and the damage was also on the one of those cars at Hallett, months before.  That type of car is more likely to damage another car than one that is pristine on the grid.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Caveman, don't know if your doing Runoffs or what your exterior coverage coat is, if it were me I'd have some mfg. written info proof it's not primer.  :scratchchin:

Sarcasm mode, proof it's not primer, being what the tech folks view. The eyes are the first thing to fail and you have that covered. I never said your car was in primer, please read above. Are you saying your exterior coverage coat (gloss) is similar to ESR cars other than Stearns car.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Sarcasm mode, proof it's not primer, being what the tech folks view. The eyes are the first thing to fail and you have that covered. I never said your car was in primer, please read above. Are you saying your exterior coverage coat (gloss) is similar to ESR cars other than Stearns car.

Both my card have factory paint with factory clear coat. Other then my old car that was wrapped in flat black. Both of my cars normally go unwashed untill I feel I need to change my luck... My car at the sprints was the only car under the esr tent to not have damage noted in log book lol... Maybe I am not hated as much as Jim, maybe that's why my car is normally far less dented ;)
  • dstevens and Jim Drago like this

K. Webb