• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Danny has taken responsibility but there will no doubt be more questions, and the inevitable discussion about rules, tech, etc. so better to have that separate from the rest.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

To the Spec Miata Community:- my sincere apologies. I cheated at the biggest SCCA race in history. This is not good for the class. I deserve to be punished. I had one of my best races in my entire career, and it has been erased from existence. I totally deserve your criticism, scorn, ridicule, hate and whatever other invective you want to throw at me.

To those of you who have offered your support, thank you it is greatly appreciated, but I do not deserve it. I look in the mirror and I do not like the person I see.
However, please direct your invective it at me and no-one else. I am the driver of the car and I am totally responsible for whatever is on my car.

And I would suggest to those that have more to say, create a new thread and crucify me there, but let the rest of this Runoffs thread focus on the amazing drives of Preston, Selin and Chris at the 2017 SCCA Runoffs at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

• BorisB likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

Before I state my opinion, I would like to say that I do not want anyone to get caught in the tech shed for being a cheat. Not just because I don't want cheating going on, but because I am sure it is very tough to be in that position, whether it is deserved or not.  Two years ago at Daytona, my teammate, Cory, was thrown out for an error in the head of the motor and it was gut-wrenching.  I do not wish this on anyone, not even my biggest rivals, nor Danny. However .....

Firstly, I think for the sake of the community, this apology and explanation is too vague.  There is more to the story and since I don't want to be too much of an ass, I want to give Danny the chance to bring it all to light before the telephone game starts and we hear twisted stories, instead of the right one. This is personal for myself and others as Danny has called our cars, and Drago's cars cheated up this whole year, yet shows up to the runoffs with an intentional cheat. Danny, this is your chance to make it right by us, own up to it all the way, and bring everything in to light.  If you do that, you will earn my some of my respect back, whether you care about my respect or not.

I will add, this car was not built by Tom Fowler, and was built by Mike Rossini.  Yes, it was in Tom's camp and he, unfortunately, shares some of the blame.  We all know Tom and the OPM crew are great people, and I sincerely doubt that they would intentionally put anything on this car to cheat, but we need to know this was not Tom's car.

Secondly, the level of disrespect that was given to Preston Pardus by Danny after he won is completely unacceptable. During the podium speeches... As you know, everyone on the podium gets a chance to talk. First Selin talked, then Danny, then Preston. Well, when Preston was done talking and he went back up to the podium and hugged Selin, and instead of greeting Preston on the Podium, Danny came off the podium and grabbed the Mic again from the announcer, bringing the attention back on himself.  He pulled a real Kanye West and took the attention away from Preston in PRESTON's moment of glory.  Nobody actually even heard what he said because everyone was cheering for Preston instead of listening to him. It was utterly disrespectful and selfish! Everyone, I mean everyone, not just me, who witnessed that, was angry. 

It absolutely amazes me how a 20 year old kid can handle himself more like a grown, mature man, than guys who are over double his age.

I felt a little bad at first, admittedly, when Danny was upset and apologized for me, saying it was his car that failed tech. I felt Danny and I actually made some ground earlier in the week at the Flatout Party with a healthy, lengthy discussion. But after these events and the disrespect shown to Preston, to our camp and Drago's camp over the year, and an intentional cheat ... I don't feel that bad at all. If everything is brought to light and the correct/sincere apologies are made ... I will delete this post and will give my respect. This is your chance to make it right Danny. For me, yourself, Rossini, Tom, Preston, and the rest of the Spec Miata Community, I really hope you do.

Edited by Danica Davison, 10-01-2017 10:45 AM.
Edited out Mike Rossini interaction with Preston. It has come to my attention he later apologized and congratulated Preston and Dan

• john mueller, David L, FTodaro and 1 other like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Spencer Rutherford

Spencer Rutherford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Region:CKR
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:#04

Before I state my opinion, I would like to say that I do not want anyone to get caught in the tech shed for being a cheat. Not just because I don't want cheating going on, but because I am sure it is very tough to be in that position, whether it is deserved or not. Two years ago at Daytona, my teammate, Cory, was thrown out for an error in the head of the motor and it was gut-wrenching. I do not wish this on anyone, not even my biggest rivals, nor Danny. However .....

Firstly, I think for the sake of the community, this apology and explanation is too vague. There is more to the story and since I don't want to be too much of an ass, I want to give Danny the chance to bring it all to light before the telephone game starts and we hear twisted stories, instead of the right one. This is personal for myself and others as Danny has called our cars, and Drago's cars cheated up this whole year, yet shows up to the runoffs with an intentional cheat. Danny, this is your chance to make it right by us, own up to it all the way, and bring everything in to light. If you do that, you will earn my some of my respect back, whether you care about my respect or not.

I will add, this car was not built by Tom Fowler, and was built by Mike Rossini. Yes, it was in Tom's camp and he, unfortunately, shares some of the blame. We all know Tom and the OPM crew are great people, and I sincerely doubt that they would intentionally put anything on this car to cheat, but we need to know this was not Tom's car.

Secondly, the level of disrespect that was given to Preston Pardus by Danny after he won is completely unacceptable. During the podium speeches... As you know, everyone on the podium gets a chance to talk. First Selin talked, then Danny, then Preston. Well, when Preston was done talking and he went back up to the podium and hugged Selin, and instead of greeting Preston on the Podium, Danny came off the podium and grabbed the Mic again from the announcer, bringing the attention back on himself. He pulled a real Kanye West and took the attention away from Preston in PRESTON's moment of glory. Nobody actually even heard what he said because everyone was cheering for Preston instead of listening to him. It was utterly disrespectful and selfish! Everyone, I mean everyone, not just me, who witnessed that, was angry.

It absolutely amazes me how a 20 year old kid can handle himself more like a grown, mature man, than guys who are over double his age.

I felt a little bad at first, admittedly, when Danny was upset and apologized for me, saying it was his car that failed tech. I felt Danny and I actually made some ground earlier in the week at the Flatout Party with a healthy, lengthy discussion. But after these events and the disrespect shown to Preston, to our camp and Drago's camp over the year, and an intentional cheat ... I don't feel that bad at all. If everything is brought to light and the correct/sincere apologies are made ... I will delete this post and will give my respect. This is your chance to make it right Danny. For me, yourself, Rossini, Tom, Preston, and the rest of the Spec Miata Community, I really hope you do.

Well said John. #Peopleschamp for SMAC

• Danica Davison likes this
Spencer Rutherford
Eaststreet Racing
overconfidence award - Given to those who think they are better than the sum of their results We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Well said John. #Peopleschamp for SMAC

In all seriousness, this is a bad idea. I barely know how to change a tire!

• William Keeling and Jim Drago like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

I will add, this car was not built by Tom Fowler, and was built by Mike Rossini.  Yes, it was in Tom's camp and he, unfortunately, shares some of the blame.  We all know Tom and the OPM crew are great people, and I sincerely doubt that they would intentionally put anything on this car to cheat, but we need to know this was not Tom's car.

Actually I believe it was built by Long Road Racing and Rossini together if memory serves.  Since Danny taking all of the blame is some fall on sword type BS, I'll run through some scenarios:

A) Long RR modified the arms when building the car:  This is idiotic, why blatantly cheat up the FIRST car of a new joint venture car building deal?  ESPECIALLY with the attention (mostly good) that Danny draws to himself and his program.  AND possibly ruining their factory deal to build Global cars for Mazda Corp?  

B ) OPM modified the arms when prepping the car:  I would bet my car this didn't happen, Tom has careered making Danny's cars top flight and is way smarter than this.  HOWEVER: Jeff at Autotechnik has a pile of cheated parts from customers that have come through the door over the years with cheated shit and does not allow this BS in our camp.  IMO there's no way OPM didn't see this and advise Danny/Long/Rossini, when you turn the rear cams straight up and you get 5 degrees it's bloody obvious.

C) Rossini modified the arms after Long built the car and before Danny got it:  This saves Long but not OPM for knowing, although Mike is an engine builder and mostly stays in that lane from what I can tell.  He also knows how many times Danny (and us) get taken apart, he's smarter than this... It's like Lance Armstrong cheating.... wait what?

• john mueller likes this

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:80

I am new to the game however I have heard severals ways to get more camber.....Just make the rules clear cut so there are no grey areas. 

In T4 my NC is only allowed a max -3 degree camber...simple to check..the rule is clear.

Set the max limits within the factory specs and you do not need to check bent spindles, sub-frames, bump stops. Arms, etc. 

All tech needs to do is roll the car thru the scales..check camber, ride height, weight etc. 

Having said that this will never solve the problem 100% we are all competitors and there is always someone pushing the limits in order to gain an advantage, whether it's grass roots, pro racing, MLB,NFL etc. 

As far as Danny Steyn...I am not one to critique nor throw stones. We are all humans and make mistakes...I am sure this is going to sting for a little while. 

• sentercut likes this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:80

In all seriousness, this is a bad idea. I barely know how to change a tire!

Ha but you certainly know how to stir the pot! 

• Muda, Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

I am new to the game however I have heard severals ways to get more camber.....Just make the rules clear cut so there are no grey areas. 

In T4 my NC is only allowed a max -3 degree camber...simple to check..the rule is clear.

Set the max limits within the factory specs and you do not need to check bent spindles, sub-frames, bump stops. Arms, etc. 

All tech needs to do is roll the car thru the scales..check camber, ride height, weight etc. 

Having said that this will never solve the problem 100% we are all competitors and there is always someone pushing the limits in order to gain an advantage, whether it's grass roots, pro racing, MLB,NFL etc. 

As far as Danny Steyn...I am not one to critique nor throw stones. We are all humans and make mistakes...I am sure this is going to sting for a little while. 

The rule is crystal clear and what was done to Danny's car was not a grey area; it was an outright cheat and no amount of BS coming from Danny or Rossini is going to fix that. I can't tell you how many times I have heard Danny make comments about other peoples cars when he gets beaten. Danny's DQ is not the same as being bounced for whistling a 9.6 instead of 9.5,  having one valve not pass on an otherwise good engine, or even finding the grey area in the rule book regarding fuel. Danny's cheat is up there with not running a plate, having adjustable shocks, or pulling a Sammy ( thats old school). A knowingly willful act to cheat by a current SMAC member and SM engine builder is bad enough but was made even worse by Rossini's and Danny's actions before and after the race. Pretty pathetic all the way around.

• dstevens, john mueller, FTodaro and 3 others like this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tim Wright

Tim Wright

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:#14

The rule is crystal clear and what was done to Danny's car was not a grey area; it was an outright cheat and no amount of BS coming from Danny or Rossini is going to fix that. I can't tell you how many times I have heard Danny make comments about other peoples cars when he gets beaten. Danny's DQ is not the same as being bounced for whistling a 9.6 instead of 9.5,  having one valve not pass on an otherwise good engine, or even finding the grey area in the rule book regarding fuel. Danny's cheat is up there with not running a plate, having adjustable shocks, or pulling a Sammy ( thats old school). A knowingly willful act to cheat by a current SMAC member and SM engine builder is bad enough but was made even worse by Rossini's and Danny's actions before and after the race. Pretty pathetic all the way around.

Pulling a Sammy! - or - Pulling an Andrew!!

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Pulling a Sammy! - or - Pulling an Andrew!!

You're  showing your age :) 

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tim Wright

Tim Wright

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Number:#14

You're  showing your age :)

Ha!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

You're showing your age :)

Really?? Geez I’m old.

But you know the old line about those who do not remember the past...

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Sammy just got popped for shocks in solo

• Tim Wright likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

To the Spec Miata Community:- my sincere apologies. I cheated at the biggest SCCA race in history. This is not good for the class. I deserve to be punished. I had one of my best races in my entire career, and it has been erased from existence. I totally deserve your criticism, scorn, ridicule, hate and whatever other invective you want to throw at me.

To those of you who have offered your support, thank you it is greatly appreciated, but I do not deserve it. I look in the mirror and I do not like the person I see.
However, please direct your invective it at me and no-one else. I am the driver of the car and I am totally responsible for whatever is on my car.

And I would suggest to those that have more to say, create a new thread and crucify me there, but let the rest of this Runoffs thread focus on the amazing drives of Preston, Selin and Chris at the 2017 SCCA Runoffs at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Firstly, I think for the sake of the community, this apology and explanation is too vague.  There is more to the story and since I don't want to be too much of an ass, I want to give Danny the chance to bring it all to light before the telephone game starts and we hear twisted stories, instead of the right one. This is personal for myself and others as Danny has called our cars, and Drago's cars cheated up this whole year, yet shows up to the runoffs with an intentional cheat. Danny, this is your chance to make it right by us, own up to it all the way, and bring everything in to light.  If you do that, you will earn my some of my respect back, whether you care about my respect or not.

Actually I believe it was built by Long Road Racing and Rossini together if memory serves.  Since Danny taking all of the blame is some fall on sword type BS, I'll run through some scenarios:

A) Long RR modified the arms when building the car:  This is idiotic, why blatantly cheat up the FIRST car of a new joint venture car building deal?  ESPECIALLY with the attention (mostly good) that Danny draws to himself and his program.  AND possibly ruining their factory deal to build Global cars for Mazda Corp?  

B ) OPM modified the arms when prepping the car:  I would bet my car this didn't happen, Tom has careered making Danny's cars top flight and is way smarter than this.  HOWEVER: Jeff at Autotechnik has a pile of cheated parts from customers that have come through the door over the years with cheated shit and does not allow this BS in our camp.  IMO there's no way OPM didn't see this and advise Danny/Long/Rossini, when you turn the rear cams straight up and you get 5 degrees it's bloody obvious.

C) Rossini modified the arms after Long built the car and before Danny got it:  This saves Long but not OPM for knowing, although Mike is an engine builder and mostly stays in that lane from what I can tell.  He also knows how many times Danny (and us) get taken apart, he's smarter than this... It's like Lance Armstrong cheating.... wait what?

I'm right there with Mr. Davison and Mr. Bolanos...  I tried to express it on the "SM Man Drama" facebook page but failed.  We all know how little wrenching Danny has done over the past years.  Danny needs to explain in detail how he got these arms got on his car and how "his team/shops" never saw them.  Until that happens, all involved are part of the story which is a sad one.

This morning I fb messaged Tracy Fowler expressing my sorrow that Danny has put them in a very bad position and that I hope that Danny would come 100% clean and explain how he was able to do this on his own.  Then and only then will those who support Danny's racing program be unscrewed or not if they indeed were negligent and part of it.

Yeah yeah yeah...  I'm out of the sport....  I still love the class and still think the on-track product is the best in amateur racing.

The stupid bullshit cheating needs to stop, It takes all the fun out of it.  It's time to hold all involved accountable not just the driver.  

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Let me get my shocked face

• john mueller likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

So where does he go next?

Haydon-Kiddie-Go-Karts-sm.jpg
  • Cnj likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Look, we all know I like to troll and all that ... but this isn't trolling. Some of us in the community take this very personally and a vague response isn't enough. Also not to mention being on the SMAC while being tossed out of the tech shed.

I will respect Danny more as a man and a competitor if he comes clean with the entire thing. My goal is not to have the hand of God come down on him, or to make him feel like shitty person, or whatever. I know he already feels that way, just as I would, or any other person would too. I just think he owes it to the ones he offended and accused this year, owes it to the SM community, and to everyone else involved. Honesty, truth, and transparency will always the best medicine. Then we can move on ...

• john mueller, Caveman-kwebb99, pitbull113 and 1 other like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Number:35
Shout out to the folks at tech, the tech process and the SMAC for setting the rules...and all drivers who respect the rules and the sprit of the class. We'd all like to see tech not find anything but they did and the process worked.

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:29

Can someone please go into more detail about the podium behavior of Danny and Mike?

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users