• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

r2hubert

r2hubert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:California

Can someone confirm to me that part #BP58-40-500B has a bung for O2 sensor?

From what I researched it seems like it does, and part #B690-40-500(A) does not... but I would like to confirm before sending my order.

Cheers.

-- Renaud

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
No idea if mazda sells something different now but all 1.6 O2 sensors are originally mounted in the exhaust manifold...no bungs in the down pipe. You might be seeing a down pipe for a early 1.8 car? Which by the way does not work on the 1.6 car!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

I don't remember the details, but years ago when I ran a 1.6, I needed a new downpipe. The one I got from Mazda had an extra O2 bung( I think both numbers were superseded to the one number with the extra bung), which I just plugged. You can always use the extra byng to put a wideband sensor for an AFR gauge or for dyno testing.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

What Dave D said. Same deal - I bought a new 1.6 downpipe from Mazda Motorsports and it had a bung on it. If memory serves it was a superseded part number.

Why not call Mazda Motorsports, 800-435-2508, and get the info directly from them?

• Ron Alan likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Can someone confirm to me that part #BP58-40-500B has a bung for O2 sensor?

From what I researched it seems like it does, and part #B690-40-500(A) does not... but I would like to confirm before sending my order.

Cheers.

-- Renaud

If I understand Mazda's part numbering system, the A --> B difference reflects a superseded part which could explain the appearance of the O2 bung.

Even if you were to order the -A part, they would ship you the -B one.

You can see the same sort of reference on the front and rear LCAs when the transition from NA to NB was made. There were minor changes to the component so the part numbers were one increment higher and attempting to order the NA LCAs will get you the superseded NB part.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

r2hubert

r2hubert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for the answers. I did call Mazda Motorsports and the answer was not really convincing, they first said no, then maybe.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Please remember that the guys at Mazda Motorsports do not see the parts. Nor do they have access to them. The warehouse is in a different location from the Mazda corporate offices (where Scott, James and Dan are located)

• tylerbrown likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
The last one I bought for a 1.6 had the O2 bung, but as I recall it did not quite follow the same path so I had to straighten it very slightly for things to line up and clear everything. Not a huge deal and hadn’t mentioned it before now but curious to hear if others have had to do the same.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

r2hubert

r2hubert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Please remember that the guys at Mazda Motorsports do not see the parts. Nor do they have access to them. The warehouse is in a different location from the Mazda corporate offices (where Scott, James and Dan are located)

Oh yeah Dave, I'm not saying they don't do a good job. Every time I call they are really helpful and he did check the part and noticed that it come with 2 parts which would suggest the plug for the O2 sensor. I just wanted to confirm with you guys before sending my money :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users