av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:121

So I drove my new ESR car into the tire wall in turn 16 at Sebring in order to conduct a proper inspection of the tire wall integrity.  Donated a couple of grand to my local body shop to replace the rear qtr panel and trunk lid, then set the car up for its next trip to Sebring.  Everything appeared straight and I had to make a couple of turns on the tie rods but no more than a 1/16" adjustment.  Car ran great, but occasionally in the middle of the T7 hairpin (2nd gear hard right hand turn), I would get binding in the steering.  I put the darn car on jack stands 5Xs over the weekend and could not find any signs of a problem with the front end. Getting ready to set her up for the Turkey Trot and just thought I would throw it out to the gallery, any ideas, anybody see this before.  If I didn't have such confidence in the really simple Miata rack I would think I damaged the gear in the steering box, but I find that unlikely since I didn't bend either tie-rod... 

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I guess I am not sure what you mean by binding.  But could it be you were on the bumpstops there?  I have to raise my car a lot or I am on bumpstops in 7 and 17 big time

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

With front tires off the ground, turn the left front wheel lock to lock by hand. Watch the steering shaft through the wheel well. Look for a bow/bannana in the shaft.

Then remove the power steering plugs, turn the wheels by hand from lock to lock. You should get little to no fluid out the ports on the rack.

You may also have a bent ball joint that is binding, was caster or camber effected?

Check the 2 bolts on drivers side of the rack. Try to spin the washers. I have seen the bolts bind, leaves the washers loose (the bolts feel tight with a wrench) which gives a loose/click feeling that feels like a bind. The thread is odd ball. Chase with a tap, no need to remove the rack to do it. If you do not have the proper tap, install an extra washer and see if the problem goes away.

That is where I would start

dave

• Justin Casey, Danica Davison and lillyweld like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

thanks Dave - digging into it tonight.

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

I guess I am not sure what you mean by binding.  But could it be you were on the bumpstops there?  I have to raise my car a lot or I am on bumpstops in 7 and 17 big time

John - thanks for the input.  Doesn't feel like the bumpstop.  I feels like the joint in the steering column is binding, Dave may be on to something.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

John - thanks for the input.  Doesn't feel like the bumpstop.  I feels like the joint in the steering column is binding, Dave may be on to something.

Lol.. The bumpstop.. 

What Dave said

start there

Jim

• Danica Davison, Preston Pardus and av8tor like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Lol.. The bumpstop.. 
What Dave said
start there
Jim

I am just a driver

• Jim Drago likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

it was the protective boot that was torn and being pulled into the pinion gear.  New boot, problem solved.  

• Jim Drago, Justin Casey, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

it was the protective boot that was torn and being pulled into the pinion gear.  New boot, problem solved.

Ah yes. That was my second guess.

• Jim Drago likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Ah yes. That was my second guess.

that's some funny sh*t, right there!

• Danica Davison likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users