Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Congratulations to Matt Reynolds...
He won the BFG Super tour race at Hallett this weekend, it was the best race I have ever seen, let alone participated in. At a track that is notoriously hard to pass, I think we swapped the lead 8-10 times and were side by side through most of the track, many places you can barely get one car through at speed. It is nice to able to have the trust and mutual respect in your competitors to be able to race that way. Many commented to me after the race that it was the best they had ever seen at Hallett. I came up on the short end, but would do it again tomorrow if I could. After all the stuff at Atlanta got blown up, it was nice to see that many still run this way and I find it to be more the rule than the exception. I didn't run my camera, Matt did, hopefully he will post the video somewhere. Also a solid congratulations to Kyle Jones who is the best SM driver in the country that most of us have never head of! :blink: Hopefully this year is his year at the NASA champs.

Nice to see the saferacer guys, Sam Henry, Sidewalk, Renny Bobby and Ray... I really miss our friend Mac Spikes, this race last year was the last time I raced with Mac. Lots of stories and memories of him were exchanged this weekend.

Thanks guys,

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Gary Norris

Gary Norris

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:26
Jim, what was Wheeler driving that he was almost 5 seconds faster in qualifying?...congrats to both you and Matt
Gary Norris

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30

...I think we swapped the lead 8-10 times and were side by side through most of the track, many places you can barely get one car through at speed. It is nice to able to have the trust and mutual respect in your competitors to be able to race that way.

Congrats to both of you. Club racing the way it was meant to be!!

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Jim, what was Wheeler driving that he was almost 5 seconds faster in qualifying?...congrats to both you and Matt

I believe it was spec miata of the A sedan variety:) He was a gentleman and started from the back to let us run our race.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I believe it was spec miata of the A sedan variety:) He was a gentleman and started from the back to let us run our race.
Jim

Since I was the only AS, I started from the back, so they could duke it out. After the 2nd lap, or so, I passed my way up so I could watch those guys go at it from behind. Some time after half way, I came in to the pits, and watched the last couple of laps from the final turn. Drago is right. I've never seen a race like that at Hallett, or anywhere else, for that matter. Excellent.

wheel

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
Sounds like fun!

Randy Saucier, Ara and I had one of those there in 2002. Back when we all really had 115 HP cars. I'll say it again, you ain't a road racer until you compete at Hallett.

When the Rooster crows the bull SH*$ flows...............

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Also a solid congratulations to Kyle Jones who is the best SM driver in the country that most of us have never head of! :blink: Hopefully this year is his year at the NASA champs.
Jim

I have :excl: Being that the SCCA doesn't beleive it's important that the year car be included with the event results sheets was Kyle in his 1.6 or another spec line car?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

nemo65

nemo65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:SCCA / NASA
  • Car Number:65

I have :excl: Being that the SCCA doesn't beleive it's important that the year car be included with the event results sheets was Kyle in his 1.6 or another spec line car?

We had the the 1.6. The start was a bit of a mess, so we spent too many laps working free from other cars. At that point, we were fortunate Jim and Matt were dicing and helped us close a 5+ second deficit. Unfortunately, we probably spent too much of the tires just getting to the fight, not that it would have really made a difference. They were running mistake free and side by side. They both drove a fantastic race that was fun to watch.

Congratulations to both.
Kyle Jones
1990 powered by Stewart
2010 SCCA Midiv SM Champion
BVTAmerica.com
East Street Racing
Springfield Dyno

nasa-rm

nasa-rm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:RM & TX
Another shot at Hallett just 2 months, 2 weeks and counting. I would LOVE to see 30+ SM's there again like we had back in Sept 2005.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
Thank you Kyle. Been tracking you since the summer & Runoffs of 2009. I kind of follow the 1.6'ers. You, Slattery & Verges........... B) Did track Wiese, but he went really to the dark side. :wacko:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
I know this is long but bear with me.

Congratulations to Jim Drago...

I have to say this as well because the race was so intense that even 2nd place deserves a congratulations. If anyone else has seen the Casey Stoner and Valentino Rossi race at Laguna Seca in 2008, our race blows that one out of the water. SCCA.org says that we officially had 9 lead changes in the race, but I counted 10 after watching the video. Most of the action was from lap 14-25. Jim and I had a comfortable lead of about 5 seconds on Kyle Jones after 10 laps and we began to battle. Consistant laps gave Kyle the opportunity to fight for the top 2 spots on the podium. I have been racing at Hallet for 8 years now, and I claim that to be my home track. We tried lines and overtakes in spots I had deemed undoable before. I contribute these conditions to the fact that we are truely racecar drivers. I have never been able to say that with so much confidence before, but it is the honest truth. We both had the same goal and were truely in our element. I was not thinking about anything besides winning that race at that moment. If Chris would have asked me what day it was over the radio, I would not have been able to answer. That is the amount of focus and concentration I was putting into this raace. This is what anybody that participates or follows roadracing wants to see. Sure, getting a 10 second lead and taking the win is great, but it does not give you the satisfaction and gratitude that a hard fought battle does. Finding gaps, pouncing on mistakes, and studying the other driver while following was absolutely crucial for this race.

I am not one that posts videos of my races because I am selfish and do not want others to see my lines and driving style. But, I feel it is my duty as an SCCA member, a Spec Miata driver, a racecar driver, and a fan of roadracing to post this video to the public. On the 2nd lap I passed Jim going into turn 7 cresting the hill. Our mirrors touched, my passenger side mirror was knocked inward, and Jim's driver side mirror was knocked forward. This left Jim with a blind spot on his left side for the remaining 23 laps. We each made the typical mis-shift from 2nd to 5th which alloted the tailing driver the advantage and the next corner. Multiple times we went 2 wide through turns 4,5,6 and 7, which is completely absurd. I made an overtake going into turn 10 while we were both passing an SSC car. It was not a planned move, just a spontaneous one, and resulted in some minor contact. After the race I spoke with Jim about a couple minor touches we had during the race because I was worried what he thought about it. He and I agreed that the touches were negligable in the result of the race and provided for great racing. I was not able to partake in my victory lap due to the fact my car began to cut out on the cool down lap. Mark Donohue's view about racecars was that your car should not be able to run a single lap more than required. Again, something that wasn't planned, but happened.

Ayrton Senna once said "By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it's possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I'm doing it right."
I do not claim to be anything comparable to Senna, but I do follow his philosophies about life as a person and a racecar driver.

Now for the thanks,
I have to thank Chris Campbell and Eddie Williams of Prodigy Motorsports for the car and the amazing set up for the race. These guys have regular jobs but choose to support me at the races in their spare time, which results in less time with their families. I appreciate this to no end and it is impossible for me to express this to the extent that it deserves. Also, thank you Bob Thorton and Race Engineering for supplying me with the power to compete at the front of the field. The Puskar family and Carbotech Brakes for slowing that power down for the corners. My dad, David Reynolds, for the financial support and instilling the passion for all motorsports inside me. One time at a race he was asked if he was crazy for letting both of his sons participate in roadracing. His response was "I used to race motorbikes." Take that how you will, but I see it as a family tradition that I must carry on. I would also like to thank my friends for supporting me at the track and off. Alex, Taylor, Raleigh, Logan, Stuart and the countless others that ask me "How'd your race go?" Without this solid circle of friends and family, this would not be possible.
  • KentCarter likes this
BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91
I love Hallett.... and I love to see and hear about really classy racing. Kudos, Gents.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I am not one that posts videos of my races because I am selfish and do not want others to see my lines and driving style. But, I feel it is my duty as an SCCA member, a Spec Miata driver, a racecar driver, and a fan of roadracing to post this video to the public.

Where's the meat. Naw, not Collins the video ^. :unsure:

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I know this is long but bear with me.

Congratulations to Jim Drago...

I have to say this as well because the race was so intense that even 2nd place deserves a congratulations. If anyone else has seen the Casey Stoner and Valentino Rossi race at Laguna Seca in 2008, our race blows that one out of the water. SCCA.org says that we officially had 9 lead changes in the race, but I counted 10 after watching the video. Most of the action was from lap 14-25. Jim and I had a comfortable lead of about 5 seconds on Kyle Jones after 10 laps and we began to battle. Consistant laps gave Kyle the opportunity to fight for the top 2 spots on the podium. I have been racing at Hallet for 8 years now, and I claim that to be my home track. We tried lines and overtakes in spots I had deemed undoable before. I contribute these conditions to the fact that we are truely racecar drivers. I have never been able to say that with so much confidence before, but it is the honest truth. We both had the same goal and were truely in our element. I was not thinking about anything besides winning that race at that moment. If Chris would have asked me what day it was over the radio, I would not have been able to answer. That is the amount of focus and concentration I was putting into this raace. This is what anybody that participates or follows roadracing wants to see. Sure, getting a 10 second lead and taking the win is great, but it does not give you the satisfaction and gratitude that a hard fought battle does. Finding gaps, pouncing on mistakes, and studying the other driver while following was absolutely crucial for this race.

I am not one that posts videos of my races because I am selfish and do not want others to see my lines and driving style. But, I feel it is my duty as an SCCA member, a Spec Miata driver, a racecar driver, and a fan of roadracing to post this video to the public. On the 2nd lap I passed Jim going into turn 7 cresting the hill. Our mirrors touched, my passenger side mirror was knocked inward, and Jim's driver side mirror was knocked forward. This left Jim with a blind spot on his left side for the remaining 23 laps. We each made the typical mis-shift from 2nd to 5th which alloted the tailing driver the advantage and the next corner. Multiple times we went 2 wide through turns 4,5,6 and 7, which is completely absurd. I made an overtake going into turn 10 while we were both passing an SSC car. It was not a planned move, just a spontaneous one, and resulted in some minor contact. After the race I spoke with Jim about a couple minor touches we had during the race because I was worried what he thought about it. He and I agreed that the touches were negligable in the result of the race and provided for great racing. I was not able to partake in my victory lap due to the fact my car began to cut out on the cool down lap. Mark Donohue's view about racecars was that your car should not be able to run a single lap more than required. Again, something that wasn't planned, but happened.

Ayrton Senna once said "By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it's possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I'm doing it right."
I do not claim to be anything comparable to Senna, but I do follow his philosophies about life as a person and a racecar driver.

Now for the thanks,
I have to thank Chris Campbell and Eddie Williams of Prodigy Motorsports for the car and the amazing set up for the race. These guys have regular jobs but choose to support me at the races in their spare time, which results in less time with their families. I appreciate this to no end and it is impossible for me to express this to the extent that it deserves. Also, thank you Bob Thorton and Race Engineering for supplying me with the power to compete at the front of the field. The Puskar family and Carbotech Brakes for slowing that power down for the corners. My dad, David Reynolds, for the financial support and instilling the passion for all motorsports inside me. One time at a race he was asked if he was crazy for letting both of his sons participate in roadracing. His response was "I used to race motorbikes." Take that how you will, but I see it as a family tradition that I must carry on. I would also like to thank my friends for supporting me at the track and off. Alex, Taylor, Raleigh, Logan, Stuart and the countless others that ask me "How'd your race go?" Without this solid circle of friends and family, this would not be possible.

Great report. Hopefully many more like it as the season progresses.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Great post Matt, you don't post much, but when you do, they are worth reading! I felt the same way... For those that don't know Hallett, it is hard to comprehend what we did. I still can bring the goose bumps back to the surface thinking about it two days later :) Thanks again, that was the most fun I have had on the race track in years.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Sorry it took so long guys. I had to break the race up into 3 parts on YouTube. This website wont let me post 3 html links so here are the titles for the videos on YouTube.
Enjoy.

Matt Reynolds

Spec Miata National Hallet 4-3-2011 (Part 1)

Spec Miata National Hallet 4-3-2011 (Part 2)

Spec Miata National Hallet 4-3-2011 (Part 3)
BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Thanks for posting Matt! That was a lot fun!
Congrats again and thanks for a good clean race
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Matt,
Thanks for posting. I loved them, especially seeing that even the fast guys occasionally do the 2nd to 5th upshift coming up out of the bitch. I did that on lap 1 of my first SM race there. Of course, I also did a 2nd to 1st upshift at the same spot on a later lap.
wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users