manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

Now that it is -5 degrees in the Northeast, I can't help but look forward to the 2018 racing season.  My car has SFI Spec 16.1 seat belts, with a manufacture date of Jan 2016.  The tag says, "Valid 2 years from punched date"  The GCR says that SFI 16.1 belts are good for 5 years.  I think I remember seeing a Supps for a race at NJMP that said that New Jersey state law mandates that SFI 16.1 belts are only good for 2 years.  The annual inspection in my log book for 2016 and 2017 says "belts good until 2017".

So, do I need to ask Santa for new belts before the 2018 season starts?  Are there any other states in the NE that have a state law regarding seat belts in race cars?  Should I stop being such a cheapskate, and just buy a new set of belts regardless of what the GCR says?

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rick Worth

Rick Worth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:24

I run NASA and they are good for 2 years. Window net is good for 5 years.  I would think that SCCA is the same. I run Ultrashield 6 point harness and they re webbed mine and checked cam lock. Also all the latches were replaced for $86 including shipping. Good as new without new price.  

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I think I remember seeing a Supps for a race at NJMP that said that New Jersey state law mandates that SFI 16.1 belts are only good for 2 years.  The annual inspection in my log book for 2016 and 2017 says "belts good until 2017".

:noidea: on New Jersey state law or NJMP.

January 2018 SCCA GCR:

1. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 or 16.5 shall bear a dated SFI Spec label. The certification indicated by this label shall expire on December 31st of the 5th year after the date of manufacture as indicated by the label. If for example the manufacture date is 2014 the fifth year after the date of manufacture is 2019.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

January 2018 SCCA GCR:

1. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 or 16.5 shall bear a dated SFI Spec label. The certification indicated by this label shall expire on December 31st of the 5th year after the date of manufacture as indicated by the label. If for example the manufacture date is 2014 the fifth year after the date of manufacture is 2019.

Yes, that paragraph has not changed from previous editions of the GCR.  Which makes me wonder why the annual inspectors are going by the "2 year rule"?  I'd hate to be refused a tech sticker because my belts are more than 2 years old!

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Ask the tech who noted your logbook.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Terry Hanushek

Terry Hanushek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Region:South Jersey

January 2018 SCCA GCR:

New Jersey

NJ 13:62-3.7.c.1  1. SFI Specification 16.1 (May 1, 2008) or SFI Specification 16.5 (June 5, 2012), incorporated herein by reference, as amended and supplemented, and available at http://www.sfi foundation.com, seat belts shall be valid until December 31st of the second year after the date of manufacture punched or indicated on the SFI tag. There shall be one original tag attached to one of the two shoulder belts, one original tag attached to one of the lap belts and a third original tag attached to the crotch belt.

The Region has unsuccessfully requested a waiver of this provision of Chapter 62.  Unfortunately this wording complies with the SFI recommendations and the state does not want to accept the liability of a rule inconsistent with SFI recommendations.

It should be noted that the only time SCCA tech inspectors physically examine seatbelts is during annual inspections.  Tech stickers are normally issued based on the current annual inspection entry in the car logbook.

Terry

• Bench Racer and manthony121 like this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

You don't need up-to-date belts if you don't wreck.

• -P- and manthony121 like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

It should be noted that the only time SCCA tech inspectors physically examine seatbelts is during annual inspections.  Tech stickers are normally issued based on the current annual inspection entry in the car logbook.

Terry

Meaning...don't do your Annual Tech at NJMP.  That said, if you have a Log Book that says, "Belts good until 2017" you'll have to explain it to the official doing your annual tech this year.  And if you go to NJMP this year, try to steer the tech official away from that comment when he looks for your 2018 Annual Tech.

• manthony121 likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Or buy belts that have FIA approval which have expiration dates good to 5 yrs, unlike the SFI's 2 yr recommendation. NASA follows FIA expiration date and SFI 2 yr recommend life. The SCCA differs in that regard giving 5 yrs to the SFI build date and adhering to the FIA expiration date.  The NJ law doesn't mention FIA sanctioned belt in the statute section posted above.

2017 SCCA CGR

9.3.18. DRIVER’S RESTRAINT SYSTEM 

E.

2.  Restraint systems homologated to FIA specification 8853/98 and 8854/98 will have a label containing the type of harness designation (‘C-###.T/98 or D-###.T/98) and date of expira- tion which is the last day of the year marked. All straps in this FIA restraint system will have these labels.

3.  If a restraint system has more than one type of certification label, the label with the latest expiration may be used. 

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

John Nesbitt

John Nesbitt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

As Terry points out, the Region's hands are tied by the NJ Chapter 62 rules.  And they have real teeth.  The authorities do make random inspections, and can (and have) shut down an event for a non-compliance.  The Region is stuck.

As far as the logbook notation goes, the tech guys can finesse by writing something like, "Belts good till end of 2018 at NJMP, till end of 2021 elsewhere."  That should satisfy NJ and avoid delays elsewhere.

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

As Terry points out, the Region's hands are tied by the NJ Chapter 62 rules. And they have real teeth. The authorities do make random inspections, and can (and have) shut down an event for a non-compliance. The Region is stuck.

Ridiculous. Hope I never have to visit that state. Are you allowed to fuel your own car at the track? 😆
  • DrDomm likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You don't need up-to-date belts if you don't wreck.

You better check the date on your belts John :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

As Terry points out, the Region's hands are tied by the NJ Chapter 62 rules.  And they have real teeth.  The authorities do make random inspections, and can (and have) shut down an event for a non-compliance.  The Region is stuck.

As far as the logbook notation goes, the tech guys can finesse by writing something like, "Belts good till end of 2018 at NJMP, till end of 2021 elsewhere."  That should satisfy NJ and avoid delays elsewhere.

Here is NJ law concerning FIA belts.

§ 13:62-3.7 Safety belts, shoulder harness and crotch belt

© Practice days and road races for any vehicles (except motorcycles) require a minimum of a five-point safety belt for each occupant meeting one of the following standards:

1. Posted above

2. FIA 8853, incorporated herein by reference and available at http://www.fia.com/s.../standregs.html, seat belts shall be valid for five years from the year of manufacture. Belts are stamped or printed with an expiration year. FIA seat belts expire on December 31 of the year printed or stamped on the FIA tag. FIA tags are located on each leg of the shoulder belt and lap belt, and on one leg of the crotch strap

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users