Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Thanks Kyle. The Region is doing what they can to make it better. They just spent a fair sum to modify the single scale they had to make it into a drive on scale so that the driver can stay in the car. Also, we hope, this will help with having to not push the car over that drain hump that always stops the cars. Doesn't sound like much but it was always a pain for all.

With the private test day, I figure we will not get into track to set up until after 5PM. Maybe we can figure out a way to handle any annuals you may need out in the holding area. That way, everyone can get through express tech and not have to come to the tech building to get decal. As long as I can see the car, I don't mind crawling around in trailers. Make sure you keep your logbooks where you can get to them and if it's your first race for 2018, we'll need to check gear and give you decal for helmet. Again, we can do this so you can go thru express tech.

I know these are little things but anything will help.

Jim that is really good news I think the car I am bringing needs and annual although I'm not completely sure. I have always found the tech at ATL to be very easy to work with. I think you may want to set up a little area so everyone knows where to find you guys to get an annual before parking.
  • Danny Steyn likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

some years the june sprints is only one race for our class!  its funny jim doesnt complain that its a big waste of money, not to mention the 500$+ 2 session test day is the biggest rip off going...  

I think you go race where you want to go race and what fits your schedule.  therfore Im going to ATL majors.  it will end up being an enjoyable weekend IMo

"Jim" likes to go to what he considers the best tracks and race the best competition.  Road Atlanta has filled those requirements for me in spades.  It has always been and will always be one of my favorites, if not my outright favorite track.  Last years race had half the normal front runners as years past for whatever reason. This years schedule likely won't help that. My goal is to make the event what it once was  and always had been, not to criticize. I realize this is a thankless job. The June Sprints is also the second biggest race of the year. 

The scheduling and the way this event has been run the last few years IMO has diminished the attendance and the competition. BTW, I appreciate all that Jim does for our class and the region( he does FAR more than most know). However, I sent an email to "higher ups' in the Atlanta region about this situation and apparently my email was not worthy of even a response. Perhaps that is part of the problem when you don't even bother to respond to long term customers when they email you. 

I am still undecided on whether I am going, I will likely go. 

Jim  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

However, I sent an email to "higher ups' in the Atlanta region about this situation and apparently my email was not worthy of even a response. Perhaps that is part of the problem when you don't even bother to respond to long term customers when they email you. 

Jim  

:banghead:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

"Jim" likes to go to what he considers the best tracks and race the best competition.  Road Atlanta has filled those requirements for me in spades.  It has always been and will always be one of my favorites, if not my outright favorite track.  Last years race had half the normal front runners as years past for whatever reason. This years schedule likely won't help that. My goal is to make the event what it once was  and always had been, not to criticize. I realize this is a thankless job. The June Sprints is also the second biggest race of the year. 

The scheduling and the way this event has been run the last few years IMO has diminished the attendance and the competition. BTW, I appreciate all that Jim does for our class and the region( he does FAR more than most know). However, I sent an email to "higher ups' in the Atlanta region about this situation and apparently my email was not worthy of even a response. Perhaps that is part of the problem when you don't even bother to respond to long term customers when they email you. 

I am still undecided on whether I am going, I will likely go. 

Jim  

We love the track and we love the competition in the spring, last year didn't work out because they had so many races on back to back weekends we just couldn't afford the time.  Last year I think it was NOLA and Road Atlanta Majors back to back weekends.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Jim, the current "power" of Atlanta Region has only been RE for 6 weeks and had very little to do with the decisions for the 2108 Majors race. I gave an answer to your concerns based on my last 5 years on the Region BOD.

I believe that there is a chance that the Region may return to the Super Tour status is 2019 provided that NOLA does not back right up to us again like last year. After all, Atlanta is in the SEDiv and is a SEDiv Conference race while NOLA is in SWDiv and only has dual conference status in an effort to help their entry. I don't believe it's right to step all over a traditional date especially if it's a same conference race. We want to see NOLA do well but not at our expense. NO Region anywhere would be happy with that.

We are pretty locked in at Atlanta on dates with Road Atlanta and have very little, if no wiggle room. And we had absolutely no say in the cancellation of the test day. It will make it hard on us also. We have no day light to get in and set up tech, T & S, etc.

As soon as I find out where we can set up for annuals and 2018 gear checks, I let everyone know. At least we can get as many as possible through tech before you go inside.

• lillyweld likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

77  Beaver, Kevin   1990  Principle Logic IT Security Consulting, OPM Acworth, GA
61  Brock, Skip   1999  OPM Autosports, Nelson Engines Birmingham, AL
31  Carlisle, Scott      Atlanta, GA
08  Carter, Michael   1999  Rossini Racing | Carbotech  Savannah, GA
56  Clements, Blake   2002  OPM Autosports/G-LOC Brakes/X-Factor Racing/Bell Helmets/CBR Houston, TX
41  Connole, Jason   2003  Protech Bedliners / Rossini Racing / OPM Autosports / Trimark Digital Raleigh, NC
9  Cottrell, Mike   1999  Sentry Body and Paint Atlanta Speedwerks Coca Cola Atlanta, GA
11  Goring, Jonathan   1999  Jonathan Goring Motorsports, Alfas Unlimited Norfolk, CT
62  Gough, Anthony   1999  OPM Autosports Suwanee , GA
44  Hart, Thomas   1999  HART LAW OPM XFactor Racing Summerville, SC
97  Henderson, Brian    2002  BDL Motorsports Fredericksburg, VA
28  Henderson, David   1999  Convience Car Care / Performance Auto Works Fredericksburg, VA
66  Joe, Randall   1999  OPM Autosports Asheville, NC
86  Jones, Jarrett   1999  Stephen K Jones, CPA, LLC, Occasionally Alice.com, Racing Analytics Atlanta, GA
70  Kaney, James   1999  Racing Analytics / KMAN Racing Johns Creek, GA
71  Kaney, Steve   1999  Racing Analytics / KMAN Racing Johns Creek, GA
16  McDaniels, Robert   1999  Duff Beer Racing Cumming, GA
81  Miller, Bill   1999  Oldcastle/Racing Analytics Atlanta, GA
25  Moran, Mickey   1999  Belmont Motoring Charleston, SC
37  Roberts, Adam   1999  Honest Speed Shop Hilliard, OH
22  Rooke, Ben   1999  OPM Autosports Franklin, TN
04  Rutherford, Spencer   2003  Camaro Central, East Street Racing, G-LOC Brakes  Lexington , KY
39  Steyn, Danny   2002  ADEPT STUDIOS /ROSSINI ENGINES/OPM AUTOSPORTS /G-LOC BRAKES  Fort Lauderdale, FL
55  Tone, Brian   1999  Tone Motorsports Buford, GA
93  Van Bendegom, Jeff   2002  ATL Speedwerks Middleton, WI
99  Webb, Kyle M.   2000  Nova Brown/Ann O'Malley not forgotten Centerville, OH
Class Totals: SM: 26

Note from Mazda

Mazda Motorsports’ parts and tech support program will be on-hand at Road Atlanta this weekend for the SCCA U.S. Majors event. Good luck to all Mazda racers competing this week!

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Since there is no test day and it's a track I never raced on I was convinced not to do this weekend.....so good luck to everyone.  

• Danica Davison and lillyweld like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

77  Beaver, Kevin   1990  Principle Logic IT Security Consulting, OPM Acworth, GA
61  Brock, Skip   1999  OPM Autosports, Nelson Engines Birmingham, AL
31  Carlisle, Scott      Atlanta, GA
08  Carter, Michael   1999  Rossini Racing | Carbotech  Savannah, GA
56  Clements, Blake   2002  OPM Autosports/G-LOC Brakes/X-Factor Racing/Bell Helmets/CBR Houston, TX
41  Connole, Jason   2003  Protech Bedliners / Rossini Racing / OPM Autosports / Trimark Digital Raleigh, NC
9  Cottrell, Mike   1999  Sentry Body and Paint Atlanta Speedwerks Coca Cola Atlanta, GA
11  Goring, Jonathan   1999  Jonathan Goring Motorsports, Alfas Unlimited Norfolk, CT
62  Gough, Anthony   1999  OPM Autosports Suwanee , GA
44  Hart, Thomas   1999  HART LAW OPM XFactor Racing Summerville, SC
97  Henderson, Brian    2002  BDL Motorsports Fredericksburg, VA
28  Henderson, David   1999  Convience Car Care / Performance Auto Works Fredericksburg, VA
66  Joe, Randall   1999  OPM Autosports Asheville, NC
86  Jones, Jarrett   1999  Stephen K Jones, CPA, LLC, Occasionally Alice.com, Racing Analytics Atlanta, GA
70  Kaney, James   1999  Racing Analytics / KMAN Racing Johns Creek, GA
71  Kaney, Steve   1999  Racing Analytics / KMAN Racing Johns Creek, GA
16  McDaniels, Robert   1999  Duff Beer Racing Cumming, GA
81  Miller, Bill   1999  Oldcastle/Racing Analytics Atlanta, GA
25  Moran, Mickey   1999  Belmont Motoring Charleston, SC
37  Roberts, Adam   1999  Honest Speed Shop Hilliard, OH
22  Rooke, Ben   1999  OPM Autosports Franklin, TN
04  Rutherford, Spencer   2003  Camaro Central, East Street Racing, G-LOC Brakes  Lexington , KY
39  Steyn, Danny   2002  ADEPT STUDIOS /ROSSINI ENGINES/OPM AUTOSPORTS /G-LOC BRAKES  Fort Lauderdale, FL
55  Tone, Brian   1999  Tone Motorsports Buford, GA
93  Van Bendegom, Jeff   2002  ATL Speedwerks Middleton, WI
99  Webb, Kyle M.   2000  Nova Brown/Ann O'Malley not forgotten Centerville, OH
Class Totals: SM: 26

Note from Mazda

Mazda Motorsports’ parts and tech support program will be on-hand at Road Atlanta this weekend for the SCCA U.S. Majors event. Good luck to all Mazda racers competing this week!

I cant believe I am missing Road Atlanta two years in a row :(  I was planning on going, but no car put an end to that pretty quickly

Good luck, be safe and have fun

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I cant believe I am missing Road Atlanta two years in a row :( I was planning on going, but no car put an end to that pretty quickly
Good luck, be safe and have fun
Jim

I’ll rent you a car if you’ll then sell it for me. I’ll even bring it to your shop.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Since there is no test day and it's a track I never raced on I was convinced not to do this weekend.....so good luck to everyone.  

Yes, Road Atlanta bites, and bites hard. I personally love the track, but I have had intimate contact with pretty much every wall on that track over the past 10 years. It demands respect!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I don't even know why 25 of y'all registered.  Spencer Rutherford already won this race.

• lillyweld likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Yes, Road Atlanta bites, and bites hard. I personally love the track, but I have had intimate contact with pretty much every wall on that track over the past 10 years. It demands respect!

Hmm.  I wonder if Happy Jack and my mom will finally let me race at Road Atlanta ... since I have already wrecked at every other track I have been to in the last 7 months lol

• Jim Drago and Preston Pardus like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I don't even know why 25 of y'all registered.  Spencer Rutherford already won this race.

I'm hearing he may pull out so someone else can win 

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I'm hearing he may pull out so someone else can win

Damn, what a stand-up guy. Do you think he will be a "Spirit of Mazda" award winner after that?

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Damn, what a stand-up guy. Do you think he will be a "Spirit of Mazda" award winner after that?

he should be at least nominated.. :)

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Congrats to Michael Carter for the win yesterday. Michael has now won at every single Majors/Super Tour event that he has attended this year. That is pretty impressive. The young talent is rising to the top!

• Danica Davison, Richard Astacio and lillyweld like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Congrats to Michael Carter for the win yesterday. Michael has now won at every single Majors/Super Tour event that he has attended this year. That is pretty impressive. The young talent is rising to the top!

Congratulations Michael and Danny on the wins. Both guys have had a very impressive start to the season! I tuned in late today, not sure what happened to Jonathan, he was in the mix all day yesterday as well. Nice runs by lots of guys.. Congrats to Jonathan and Preston as well for the podium finishes. Wish I could have made it, I miss that place.

Anyone care to comment on how the changes in the track came into play if at all?

BTW... there are three or four of us that plan on putting an end to Michael's streak at Hallet :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

On top of that, he has been on the podium for every race so far in 2018.

Homestead: P1, P3.

Sebring: P1, P2.

Nola: P2, P1.

Road ATL: P1, P2.

Avg Finish = 1.625

Also, his worst starting position is 4th. 

Avg Starting Position = 2.625

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Reminds me of a couple years ago when Selin Jr did the same thing. I think it was 2016?

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Thought after a fun weekend...  First Creighton and crew made getting an annual outside the track a breeze, needed two annuals and moments later had them in had and they handed us a tech sticker in the trailer so we didn't have to go back to the line!  Great job and it was a very well run event from the parking to keeping us on schedule all week!  

Congrats to Michael, Danny, Blake, Jonathon!  All had great runs but I think Danny had one of the best showings chasing down Michael with no help to get another big WIN!

Great to see smiling Mike Rossini he was smiling as usual and well before any of his drivers showed off!  Thanks for making a special stop at my trailer to say hi! Friendships are what this thing is about just as much as the racing!

The region needed to have a test day, first sessions were on wet track and for me I didn't have time to see that my car was way to tight for a dry track.  Started p5 on Sat and dropped like a rock!  Sunday started p13 and finished p7 pushing my buddy Adam around, he is still figuring out ATL so he got me passed a couple times going into t3, but we always found a way to get back together and were catching the p4-5 guys... Multiple passes were thrown in almost every lap between myself, Henderson, Jones,Roberts!  It was very hard but clean racing with all of us ending with big smiles and thumbs up!

I may even have to post a vid of the battles, not much for posting vid but this one may give some  mid packers a glimps of what clean hard fought racing is supposed to look like and not the traditional dive bombs and bump and runs that I hear about all the time.  I think had I been committed to Henderson rather then Adam we would have caught p4-5, but that was not the plan for the day, trying to work out team work with Adam was the goal and I think it was pretty successful although maybe not the outright speed factor.

It seemed like a condensed schedule so I didn't get to talk to as many guys as usual, but I did meet my new SM HERO Robert McDaniels who drove his #16 to the track with two sets of wheels on a little dolly behind the car, set up camp just up the hill from us and proceeded to racing his first majors!  This the grass roots that the class used to be, and I thought it was the coolest thing i had ever seen someone drive their car over for a majors race and just go have fun! Hats off to you man!

• Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this

K. Webb