B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Ok not trying to get a parity thread started but if you're going to build a new car (NB) what year would you choose and why ?

If you don't feel comfortable commenting on this post you can send me a pm
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Kuch

At the Majors events this year we have seen 99's and VVT's win, and a West Coast NA1.6 was right up there with us at COTA. 

• For tracks with long 5th gear straights I believe that the '99 is the weapon of choice. 
  • For tracks where you are continually turning with induced slip, I believe the VVT is the weapon of choice
  • That being said there is very little between them in their current state of development

However, IMHO, a VVT is a more forgiving car to drive and will allow you to recover from small mistakes faster. The 99 will do better in the hands of a more precise driver. 

Just my $0.02

• B(Kuch)Kucera45, Justin Casey and Richard Astacio like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

However, IMHO, a VVT is a more forgiving car to drive and will allow you to recover from small mistakes faster. The 99 will do better in the hands of a more precise driver. 

Is this why you switched to the VVT? :P 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Kuch in our neck of the woods, except for Road America, and Watkins Glenn we are a short track venue, so the VVT is a more all around choice, IMO. however, the 1.6 with its current state of adjustments is equal to or better than a VVT if it is prepped well. That is is controversial of course.

• Jim Drago and B(Kuch)Kucera45 like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

choose the one with best sound system!  :)

• Tom Sager and Danica Davison like this

K. Webb