Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:38

Is there an "inside" and "outside" of the rear wheel bearing?  If there is how do you tell?  It looks the same on either side, but someone (somewhere) referred to dumb asses like me pressing them in backwards.

Thanks,

Carl

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

You decide if your a dumb a$$ or if the "someone" is a dumb a$$!!!  

This replacer was living a good life.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

David,

I assume that since he didn't say anything about right or wrong way to install the bearing that your meaning it that it doesn't matter?  

I already have everything apart and cleaned up ready to press back together.  Just want to make sure it goes back together right. 

Carl 

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002

If you are using a real Mazda bearing, then there will be directions in the box as to the inside and outside. If I remember(keep forgetting which way is right, so I always look at the directions) the steel deflector goes to the inside and the rubber seal goes to the outside. The aftermarket SKF,etc..... go in either way.

Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Thanks.  I have a SKF and it looks the same from either side.  

Carl

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:35
I did the rear bearings on my 1999. Ordered the bearings from Mazda and they shipped SKF bearings..no instructions. At the time I think Mazda bearings were on backorder. Went through the same question about direction, concluded it did not matter. One side of the bearing had writing, so just to be safe I pressed them in with the writing facing to the inside, which was only side visible since the hub goes in from the outside. Grease them up well and once you start to get them to go, don't stop until they are all the way in!

Cal

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

On the Mazda bearing there is a steel sleeve on one side that protects the bearing internals from water, the instructions say this side is to face the car. So if your bearing looks identical both sides that it would not matter.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002

What's interesting is NSK makes the OEM bearings, but if you order a NSK replacement, its just like the SKF and the same either side, yet when ordered direct from Mazda, that's the bearing with the steel inner guard. I never looked into whether one was better/longer-lived than the other..... 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee

The bearing shown in the video has a seal each side, install either way. Some sealed bearings may bought which seal to the inner race and some may be bought which don't seal to the inner race. Shielded bearings do not seal to the inner race and the shield side should be mounted to the inside of vehicle.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users