• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

jcl17

jcl17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Michigan
I’m looking at buying a ‘99 SM that was involved in a front end crash. The owner disclosed that the engine cradle was bent and subframed damaged. He said it is still driven at track days (not races). Not sure how he can do this if the engine is actually not lined up straight??? Anyway, I think the car can be picked up for a song as a parts car at worst. That said, I’d love to get it back up and running as it was once a very fast car (multiple NASA win history) and is a pro build. What could possible be involved in fixing said problems? Can it be drivable again? If car is “trackable now” can I replace the subframe/engine cradle and get new motor mounts and consider it ready for inspection again??? Any advice is appreciated. My mechanical knowledge is very low as I’m new to SM and racing. Thanks.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

To me the front sub frame is the engine cradle, so the sub frame itself can be replaceable inexpensively. The question would be is the damage limited to just the sub frame. If the entire front end is twisted it may be able to be straightened.

If it were me and you were serious about buying the car, i would ask to have it looked at first, go to a frame shop, buy two hrs of rack time to put it on a frame rack and have them measure it that will tell you how bad off it is and what it will take to make it straight.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Look for any wiggles in the firewall, floor or trans tunnell. If there are bends in any of these places, the tub is junk. I think all of would agree that when the tub is bent, the car should not be repaired. Might be a good parts car, but without pix it is hard to say.

• FTodaro and jcl17 like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jcl17

jcl17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think it’s toast but still taking advise. Have pics but how do I post? I couldn’t find a thread instructing how and my pics are too large to upload.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I think it’s toast but still taking advise. Have pics but how do I post? I couldn’t find a thread instructing how and my pics are too large to upload.

If you post your pic any place online you can post the link here. Photobucket, whatever.

Also up above ^^^ you have your own Gallery to post to.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

You can post them to the gallery.  Gallery may also have a size limit, I don't recall.  Or you can host them on photo bucket (I assume that's still a thing), or somewhere similarly public...and then link here. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Johnny beat me to it....yet another race I got outspent!

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I’m looking at buying a ‘99 SM that was involved in a front end crash. The owner disclosed that the engine cradle was bent and subframed damaged. He said it is still driven at track days (not races). Not sure how he can do this if the engine is actually not lined up straight??? Anyway, I think the car can be picked up for a song as a parts car at worst. That said, I’d love to get it back up and running as it was once a very fast car (multiple NASA win history) and is a pro build. What could possible be involved in fixing said problems? Can it be drivable again? If car is “trackable now” can I replace the subframe/engine cradle and get new motor mounts and consider it ready for inspection again??? Any advice is appreciated. My mechanical knowledge is very low as I’m new to SM and racing. Thanks.

I know the car, the damage is pretty bad with buckled tunnel on both sides and floor and a very poor repair to pass side rail.  I would spemnd my money elsewhere.  Someone like myself could buy that car and repair it correctly, but it is not worth the price. I would tub another car and swap parts

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

jcl17

jcl17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Let me know if this works I think you all are right but let’s confirm this is a parts only car.

http://s1259.photobu...jcl171/library/

jcl17

jcl17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
FYI I bought a clean one owner pro built ‘95 with a trailer last week and this car would indeed be a parts car but would be nice if it could be made to race again instead and sold to a race partner without spending too much money.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Once the tub is damaged, the cost of repair exceeds the value of the repaired car. Plus you will never know if it straight untill you try to allign it. then you will never know if it handles well untill you actually race it. Big gamble if it does not work. Not any savings if it does work. No good reason to try.

I have seen at least 2 cars come through the shop that had been improperly repaired from damage like this. Some a-hole wanted to make some money off his mistake. Sold cars stating they where good cars, only to find that they paid good money for a parts car. I feel bad for the buyer. But I can't stand the seller.

Buyer be ware

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jcl17

jcl17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So can you tell by the photos that the tub is damaged? Jim is this the car you were thinking of? The seller doesn’t know much about the car or is conviently playing coy. I did messsage and discuss the car with the original owner (we all know him) I’ve had a lot of contact with seller and he seems like a decent guy but maybe not so informed. The car is once again on eBay. If the car is bent and has cracked subframe, I’d think he could be liable for a crash. That and we all (the seller included) have a duty to ensure we all are safe drivers/owners. I simply want his 4.3 rear end and having other spares won’t stink but only if price is very right. Poor guy. I think he paid $16k for it recently but maybe someone knows more.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

That crack in the floor seam on the driver's side?  Seems like a pretty hefty hit.  That's some significant bending and tearing pretty far from any designed crumple zone---the footwell is not supposed to move. 

Its hard to imagine how that much stress could be transmitted that far into the unibody without f-ing up something in between. 

-tch

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Ever hear of a tail light guarantee?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users