Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

article_2_MAIN_9_jpg_677x1000_q100.jpg

The first round of the Spec MX-5 Challenge - East at VIR two weeks ago was truly exciting, with 6 cars finishing within 1 second of the winner in Race 1. The Spec MX-5 Challenge - Central will be at the $40 million NCM Motorsports Park, across from the National Corvette Museum and Corvette manufacturing in Bowling Green, this weekend (March 24 and 25).

We will again have streams from selected cars. You can find these on the Facebook Spec MX-5 page: https://www.facebook.../SpecMX5Racing/

Race 1 on Saturday, March 24 should be at 1:05 pm CDT (2:05 pm Eastern, 12:05 pm Mountain, 11:05 am Pacific). Note: rain is expected on Saturday, so the start may be delayed.

Race 2 on Sunday, March 25 should be at 10:20 am CDT (11:20 am Eastern, 9:20 am Mountain, 8:20 am Pacific). Again, times are approximate.

While you are waiting, here is one of the Race 1 streams from VIR.

And GoPro footage from Race 2 in the rain.

About Spec MX-5 Challenge

Spec MX-5 Challenge is an affordable pro road racing series with a focus on driver development and a top prize of $100,000. In 2018, its ten-race regular season in the Central region will run at NCM Motorsports Park, Circuit of The Americas, Hallett Motor Racing Circuit and NOLA Raceway Park. The ten-race East season will run at Virginia International Raceway, Summit Point Raceway, Road Atlanta and Monticello Motor Club. The top seven drivers from each region will compete at a championship-deciding event at Road Atlanta in November. The twenty drivers selected for the series pay $45,000 and receive full arrive-and-drive services, including transport, entry fees, tires, fuel, mechanical work, engineering and a race car. For more information on Spec MX-5

Challenge, visit:

www.specmx-5.com

www.facebook.com/specmx5racing/

https://twitter.com/SpecMX5Racing

www.instagram.com/specmx5

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Global MX-5 Cup Announces Livestream For Season Opener

mx-5-cup-on-track-400x267.jpg

IRVINE, Calif. (March 22, 2018) – This weekend, Mazda will bring the excitement of the Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires to fans around the world with a livestream of the season opening races at Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas.

Fans who tune in to the livestream will be treated to some of the closest sports car racing in North America. The Global MX-5 Cup cars are built identically and place a premium on driving ability, which was borne out by the 12-race 2017 season having a total margin of victory of just under four seconds. This weekend, thirty-two of those Global MX-5 Cup cars will take on COTA and battle for championship prizes that include the $200,000 Mazda Road to 24 scholarship awarded to the season champion and $75,000 awarded to the Global MX-5 Cup Rookie of the Year.

“With compelling racing created by the talent of the drivers and the performance of the Global MX-5 Cup cars, we are thrilled to be able to put the season opening races on a worldwide stage with this weekend’s livestream,” said John Doonan, Director, Mazda Motorsports. “With thirty-two Global Mazda MX-5 Cup cars entered this weekend it will be a fantastic show that will be enjoyed not only by the spectators at the track but everyone tuning in around the world to the livestream.”

The broadcast for Saturday’s Global MX-5 Cup race will begin at 3:25 PM ET, while Sunday’s will begin at 8:55 PM ET, on Mazda USA’s YouTube Channel (here)

Mazda Motorsports

Mazda Motorsports boasts the most comprehensive auto racing development ladder system of any auto manufacturer in the world. The Mazda Road to 24 (#MRT24) program offers a number of scholarships to advance drivers up the sports car racing ladder, beginning with the Global MX-5 Cup series and culminating with the Mazda Prototype team. The Mazda Road to Indy (#MRTI) is a similar program that includes Mazda-powered categories of USF2000, Pro Mazda and Indy Lights. In grassroots road racing, more Mazdas are road raced on any given weekend in North America than any other manufacturer. Follow all of the latest news at MazdaMotorsports.com, @MazdaRacing on Twitter, and MazdaMotorsports on Instagram and Facebook.

Mazda North American Operations

Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 600 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.

Follow MNAO’s social media channels through Twitter and Instagram at @MazdaUSA and Facebook at Facebook.com/MazdaUSA

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
The live stream was excellent. All of true Mazdaracers should try watching tomorrow night.
  • chris haldeman, Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Holly shit that was an awesome race.....They kept calling Sellin a rookie and I'm like man that kid is no freaking rookie he is nasty. 

Those were some awesome moves on his part and Ortiz....wow...wow thats all I can say. I feel like he's representing the spec miata community, and just putting things into perspective every time we go out there and depending on the track we have 6-10 just as good drivers out there and more at the run-offs. 

Although I was pulling for Sellin having Ortiz win is also rewarding being Puerto Rican myself and knowing the suffering that is going back home....for a few hours his family and friends can just forgot about their problem...

• Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

When the at-large drivers were being discussed, I put in some good words about Selin, and when he won the MRT24 shootout, I wrote to John Doonan saying that they had made the right decision, that Selin was the real deal and would be a tremendous asset to the Mazda family!

So wonderful to see him win in his debut weekend. Could not be happier, and yes it says a lot about the talent in Spec Miata. So many fast young hot shoes coming through our class. Selin's win will draw more young drivers to Spec Miata. Feel very privileged to be part of this class, with such a strong future. 

• Jim Drago, Danica Davison and Richard Astacio like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Selin is the G.O.A.T.!  I knew Selin would do very well in this series, as he has always ran up front in the best SM fields for the last 3-4 years ... and to be honest ... his car was rarely the best in the field. So it is nice to see his talent shine in this series already. On top of his talent, I am happy to call him one of my good friends.  What a great kid, and I am sure Papi is proud :)

GO Selin!

• MPR22, Jim Drago, Armando Ramirez and 3 others like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Does anyone have a link to the complete race 2? The Mazda youtube channel seems to have 30 minutes of it...starts 3 or 4 laps in and ends when the yellow comes out toward the end? The first race is complete and pretty freaking entertaining! Selin should have had this win as well if not for a last corner drift!

Curious for someone in the know...were there any track limits?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Does anyone have a link to the complete race 2? The Mazda youtube channel seems to have 30 minutes of it...starts 3 or 4 laps in and ends when the yellow comes out toward the end? The first race is complete and pretty freaking entertaining! Selin should have had this win as well if not for a last corner drift!

Curious for someone in the know...were there any track limits?

Track limits were open, with the exception being cutting the course. However, I saw some of that too :)

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Rollan wins wet MX-5 Cup Race 2

BFGoodrich Tire advertisements ask if you are "driver enough," and the field of Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires drivers answered with a resounding 'yes' as they staged a thrilling race in changing and challenging conditions on Sunday at the Circuit of The Americas.

A heavy mist blanketed the 20-turn, 3.431-mile road course Sunday morning, prompting race officials to declare a wet race start. Teams immediately changed to BFGoodrich g-Force wet tires, but could elect to change back to slicks after taking the green flag should the conditions change.

Selin Rollan (No. 87 Sick Sideways Racing), who finished second in Saturday's race, was hit with a penalty moments before the race started after his team was still working on the car on the pre-grid. The infraction put Rollan to the back of the 32-car field for the start. Despite this major setback, Rollan raced his way forward in the tricky wet conditions and was battling with the lead pack by the race's halfway point.

"People were being cautious, and I couldn't be cautious," Rollan said. "I had to go forward and once I saw the front of the pack I thought 'wow, I'm actually catching them' and I caught them even before the double yellow, and I ran everyone down. These BFGoodrich rain tires are amazing, they are great, they stick."

Polesitter and Saturday's race winner Bryan Ortiz (No. 4 Copeland Motorsports) led the field to the green flag and held the lead for 10 laps. Just before the race's only full-course caution, Rollan took over the lead. The race restarted with less than six minutes left on the clock.

"I needed a good restart like I did yesterday and I didn't get that – pretty much got sideways out of the last corner trying to get a good jump!" Rollan said. "He (Ortiz) got by me. But I knew I was faster than him in the corners in the rain. I got a good run out of the last hairpin and was able to defend so he wasn't able to put a fender on me and it worked out – I still can't believe this."

Rollan, the current Mazda Road to 24 Scholarship winner, took victory over Ortiz by 0.132 seconds.

It was a deja vu moment for the two, who finished in the opposite order after a last lap shootout in Saturday's race.

"I tried to see if we could do the same thing as yesterday," Ortiz said. "I stayed behind the lap before, so I could be behind him on the last lap. Robert [Stout] tried to pass me, so Selin got a good gap. We were able to catch him. He blocked me a little bit to save his spot and I didn't want to drive dirty after such a clean race. Hopefully this marks a good start to the season and we can keep going forward and win the championship."

Last year's Rookie of the Year, Robert Stout (No. 28 McCumbee McAleer Racing) completed the podium in third after some hair-raising sideways moments on track.

"The conditions were fun – I love racing in the rain," Stout said. "I did well at Watkins Glen and Indy last year in the rain. My biggest mistake was the start and was missing third gear. So I don't even know where I was, seventh or eighth, and I just came back picking away at them. There's not a doubt that I probably had one of the best handling cars on the track, so it's kind of frustrating – I'm happy with it, I'm happy with a podium, that's all I want to do this year is podium to death – but I was faster than the two guys in front of me but I wasn't in a position to get around them."

Of all the outstanding drives in the wet, 14-year-old rookie Ryan Noaker's (No. 13 Sick Sideways Racing) run from 21st to ninth was the one worthy of the Battery Tender Hard Charger Award.

"I've always been good in the rain, even in karts," Noaker said. "That's how I got my first win in NASA and I actually started from second-to-last in that race. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the season. It was really fun racing. It's different from anything I've raced before and the drivers are really good."

Charlie Belluardo (No. 73 Flatout Motorsports) claimed his second-straight victory in the Challenger Cup presented by Monticello Motor Club. Belluardo finished 17th.

Masters class honors went to Todd Lamb (No. 84 Atlanta Speedwerks) who finished just off the podium in fourth after starting 11th.

Saturday's opening round saw 160 passes for position and the field was no less busy in the rain, as Sunday's race recorded 159 passes made in the 45-minute contest.

The series will host rounds 3 and 4 at Barber Motorsports Park on April 20-22 as part of the Verizon IndyCar Series event weekend. Drivers will continue their quest for the incredible $200,000 prize from Mazda on offer to the championship-winning driver.

Replays of both races are available on the Mazda USA YouTube page: https://www.youtube....zdausa/featured

Preston Pardus

Preston Pardus

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Car Number:42

Selin's in-car from race two.. from the back of the grid and his first time on a wet track in a Global car I believe..

• Danica Davison, Richard Astacio and Samuel J like this
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Selin! Only two words to describe that In-Car Video: Freaking Awesome!

I would use a different word but Drago has a filter on here :)

But seriously, I think I would have wrecked about 25 times in that video.  Very impressive!

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Contrary to the old saying,  that race was won on the first lap.  Great drive buddy.  

• Danica Davison likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Great vid and congrats!

K. Webb