Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9
I want to put down a floor over the plywood floor in my enclosed trailer. I have looked at various options such as rolled vinyl flooring, vinyl tile, commercial grade laminate tile etc. Looking to find out what others have done and if they were happy with the results. Looking to keep the cost reasonable.

Thanks

Greg
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19

I want to put down a floor over the plywood floor in my enclosed trailer. I have looked at various options such as rolled vinyl flooring, vinyl tile, commercial grade laminate tile etc. Looking to find out what others have done and if they were happy with the results. Looking to keep the cost reasonable.

Thanks

Greg

I put vinyl tiles black and white checkerboard pattern on my garage floor a few years back.

Pluses: Easy to DIY peal and stick, very reasonably priced and the end result looked great.

Minuses: Not very durable in a garage setting. Jack stands cut through and turning the car
wheels sharply can dislodge one. I also spilled coolant on it once and the tile came
unglued. Vinyl tiles have a shiny outter layer on them that makes them look nice but
this layer also delaminates over time. Lastly, tho they look good initially, the sun
light coming in thru the open garage door turned the white tiles yellow.

Might work in a trailer because its cheap and easy to replace tiles if they are damaged
but there are probably better options out there if you can spend more.

Good luck
Neil
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92
If you're going to do anything vinyl in a trailer, it needs to be in a roll. Individual tiles will pop loose constantly just from the flexing of the trailer as you roll down the road.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996
I just ordered a new 20' enclosed and I went with the rubber coin flooring for my trailer.

http://www.bltllc.co...er-flooring.htm
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I used to be in the trailer repair business.

Sheet vinyl flooring will tear and look bad in a couple years. My goose neck came with this. I would never have choose it if I bought a new trailer.

12x12 tile will do the same.

The rubber coin flooring is probably the best, but expensive and heavy. I have this in the semi. 23 years of hauling racecars and not a bad spot on the floor.

A roll on or spray on truck bedliner works very well. Expensive if professionally done, cheap if you do it yourself. Can be touched up if needed.

Or just paint with a high quality floor paint. Cheap, DIY, light weight, get creative and put race strips on the floor!!!!

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
Removed all of the black and white tiles that kept popping up and painted the floor with Sherwin Williams industrial epoxy based paint. I added their shark skin additive for a non slip finish. Looks great and doesn't lift.
Paul McLester
SM #3

Mike Lliteras

Mike Lliteras

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
+ 1 to Gattoraty, you definetly want the shark skin or at least the sand additive. It will also protect the wood from moisture, wich will keep it from warping. The best would be Linex, but at $ 400 or more for a 75 sq ft for a truck bed it can get expensive quick.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
I'd go with a nice terra cotta tile with ceramic inlays... It looks so nice and is not overly slippery when it rains.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users