Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I'd like to carry enough POG to the track that I don't need to buy any while there.  1) Cost, 2) 10% Ethanol/93 seems to work better than 91 100% gas. 

I have an open trailer.  The A-frame seems like a good spot for a tank.  I used 25g at Hallett last weekend including test day. I carry 5g in the car so I can just roll off the trailer for the start of test day.  So, 20-30 gal tank would be plenty. 

Anyone else already doing something similar and have a recommendation for a tank? 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

We use a tank and pump from RDS that looks like a toolbox. It's mounted on the back of our truck

it looks like:

https://www.northern...09658_200609658

http://www.rdsalumin...o-transfer.html

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58
Lot of weight to add on the tongue. Plus, some tracks limit the amount they will let you bring in.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Technically there are probably laws in some cases too, but they are not intended for the likes of us. I like the idea, but with an open trailer I would want extra air gap and/or insulation between trailer deck and tank so the fuel doesn’t get unnecessarily warm and expand. My 28ft toy-hauler enclosed trailer has a built-in fuel tank and pump station for things like the 4-wheelers and motorcycles commonly carried in them. You might check RV suppliers for what they use. The big one near here, etrailer.com, might be worth a look.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Scrap that last suggestion, etrailer is no help. Great Plains makes several pump & handle options if you want to go all-out, but I’m thinking the cost savings part of the equation isn’t all that favorable.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
5-5 gallon jugs has always worked for me! KISS is appropriate here?
Buy a box 4 jugs fit in?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
We typically carry 10 5-gallon jugs. It’s always a bit of a pain filling all of them on the morning we leave, and managing them in general to transport, keep out of the sun and not be a hazard. A tank & pump would be worth the 1-time expense except that with a big trailer filling the tank directly can also be a bit of a hassle and limit the available filling stations. A lot of guys buy 50 gallon barrels of race fuel but that doesn’t strike me as particularly convenient either.

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

Same KISS approach as Ron, four 5G jugs that I carry on the passenger side, plus about 7G in the tank, 27G total, lasts a typical 3 day weekend.

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Yes, I have 3-5gal jugs, now.  That's how I've managed it for years.  I always come up short, and have typically bought gas at the track..I never really thought that much about it.  However, the 1.6 clearly performs better on 93 pump gas vs. the 91 pure gas.   And 93 pump gas is a good bit cheaper than the 91 track gas, anyway.  Sort of a win-win. 

So, I either need to buy 2 more 5g jugs at $25 ea and ideally a couple of jug racks to hold them securely (versus my haphazard rachet straps), or possible a 20-30g tank that can fit on the tongue (or anywhere else on the trailer).  There are several 20-30g "above board" tanks available in the $100 range.  So, the cost factor is about the same. 

The safety factor can't be any worse than the 5 canisters strapped to the trailer deck.  Something securely nestled in the tongue triangle might arguably be safer in a practical sense (laws notwithstanding). 

I'm all about KISS.  But, 4 (or 5, or 10) separate jugs isn't necessarily simpler (or safer) that a single, large, permanently fixed tank.  Its not even clearly cheaper.  I still need a couple of jugs for pump-out and transfer, but those can be transported dry in the trunk of the Miata if I have 30g in a tank. 

What I'm really trying to do is somewhat optimize my race operations, so that I'm not spending a ton of time getting ready for a race and then dismantling things post-race, or wasting mental cycles at the track figuring what I need.  Process improvements, as it were. 

• Steve Scheifler likes this

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

A SM driver's tire rack for his open trailer that included a place for fuel jugs. 

https://www.trackjun...ear/?hl=trailer

I've see more secure fuel jug storage on other racks with spots exactly the size for one jug.

You will probably need 'RED' jugs. Some states have rules about the color of fuel transport containers.

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

Ed has what looks to be a 25g tank mounted into the a triangular shaped tool box at the front of his open trailer. Check his out or ask him as it's pretty nifty. Electric pump as well.

I just use 4 5 gallon jugs filled to 6 gallons (2 for the generator, 2 for the car) and whatever I might need for test day in the car strapped to the front of the bed of my truck.

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Ya.  I've seen Ed's setup before.  I meant to sneak another peak last weekend...but, forgot.  I may have to ask him which tank he uses on facebook...since I don't think he comes on here. 

-tch

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Don't mount fuel high. Anything less than a 100% full tank will slosh and cause very bad handling of the trailer. Ask any semi tanker driver about driving half full tanks.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Don't mount fuel high. Anything less than a 100% full tank will slosh and cause very bad handling of the trailer. Ask any semi tanker driver about driving half full tanks.

I understand your point, Dave.  But, that's a bit of apples and oranges---they are carrying a LOT more liquid weight (as a percentage of the total mass), and they are carrying it a LOT higher up.   I'm talking about 180 lbs of fuel (at most) mounted on a 5,000 lbs trailer being pulled by a 15,000 lbs RV...mounted at deck height (18" above the axles of a 12' tall RV). 

Besides, I'm already carrying most of that weight on the trailer deck in 5g jugs.  So, I'm already experiencing most of whatever handling issue might be caused.  Which is none---I can't even tell the trailer is back there.  I think the RV handles better WITH the trailer than WITHOUT. 

-tch

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

What about fitting some fuel-safe rectangular flat containers like those used in RVs/campers fit between the rails?

Aren't they nominally like 36" x 48" x 8" or something?

Put steel underneath and an air-gapped plate on top to block the sun from heating up the fuel too much.

It could make filling it a bit of a pain with its location but I imagine that's easily overcome with some ingenuity.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Make that a boat underdeck fuel tank - which at 25g doesn't appear to be all that large dimensionally.

https://www.wholesal...AyABEgJrAPD_BwE

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

scott sanda

scott sanda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Just to chime in on the fuel jug question.

Having access to a welder, we simply made an aluminum box 5 jugs wide and one jug deep, with hinged full length lid.  We bolted it to the front of the tralier, sitting on the A frame.  This was an enclosed trailer, but it would work on an open one as well.

If I still ran a car that could get through 3 days on 25-30 gallons I would never again buy track gas and just carry pre filled juggs.....

Come to think of it, I might still have the  storage box on a rack at the shop.  I'll look and post pictures, and maybe a bargain sale price....

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

The idea sounds fine but I would check the tongue weight--maybe use something to simulate it as it will add to it quite a bit.

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

Adding 160 lb to the tongue (say 12 feet in front of the trailer axle) applies an additional moment about the axle of 1920 ft-lbf.  To counteract that moment to maintain the original tongue weight by parking a 2300lb car in a different spot on the trailer, you 'd have to park the car 10 inches more rearward.  No biggie.

• Bench Racer likes this

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Jason reminded me of something else, when towing with an RV. Except for diesal pushers, RV's are not designed for lots of tongue weight. Imagine going over a common "whoopteee" rail road crossing. The tongue weight goes from almost zero on the "whoo" then goes extremely high (like 5000 pounds) on the "teee". Couple that with the long over hang on many RV's and you create a lot of stress on the chassis. I actually broke a motor home chassis with a 24' enclosed trailer and a Miata. It can happen and is a real PITA to repair.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users