• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

fw8787

fw8787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:IL

Is there a specific tool or technique to break the lower ball joint free without destroying the boot? I have the generic amazon ball joint tool that works great on tie rod end but doesn't fit on the LBJ. Upper always pops loose with a 5lb hammer but I cannot ever get the lower to break free and always have to resort to the pickle fork which destroys the boot.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

2 hammers!!!

Seriously, put one hammer on the left side and strike with other hammer on right side. Kinda like those swinging ball things for on your desk. The shock load is doubled by having the extra hammer to bounce threw.

dave

No comments about swinging balls on your desk you preverts

• William Keeling, Alberto and Jim Drago like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

You did not say why you are taking the car apart. But if it is due to crash damage, just replace the ball joint. They are prone to bending and breaking at very bad times.

• William Keeling likes this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

And to get the "shock" a smaller hammer with a sharp blow works better than a big hammer!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
What Dave said about 2 hammers, preferably a heavy one behind, but it isn’t easy given the room available. It might take more than a couple swings. After a couple solid hits, put the nut (or a spare) back on to just about flush and give it a rap or two. Not enough to damage anything, just to see if the joint is about to pop and give it a little persuasion, then back to the dual hammers.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

RWP80000

RWP80000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Region:SoPac
  • Car Number:2

The best tool for this is one sold by OTC that I call a "see-saw".  It is about six inches wide and pivots in middle with a jack screw on one side and on the other is a thiner wedge shaped slot that slides under the spindle and between the boot. The top part sits on the ball joint stud which transmits the force from the jack screw thru the pivot to the top of the ball joint stud.  If the jack screw force isin't enough to pop it you can then hammer on the end of the tool in contact with ball joint stud.  I find this puiler works in many places you wouldnt expect and does not cut the boot.  Works on tie rods too.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The best tool for this is one sold by OTC that I call a "see-saw".  It is about six inches wide and pivots in middle with a jack screw on one side and on the other is a thiner wedge shaped slot that slides under the spindle and between the boot. The top part sits on the ball joint stud which transmits the force from the jack screw thru the pivot to the top of the ball joint stud.  If the jack screw force isin't enough to pop it you can then hammer on the end of the tool in contact with ball joint stud.  I find this puiler works in many places you wouldnt expect and does not cut the boot.  Works on tie rods too.

Like this Rich???

https://shop.advance...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Another tool I use for all kinds of things for ball joints, half shafts and transmission work is a long stroke air hammer, i take one of the chisels and cut it flat and it will knock anything loose, or used a pointed tip on half shafts.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

https://www.ecstunin...AyABEgKgm_D_BwE

Works every time. Even when thier stuck as a mofo. 

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

I have made my living by fixing cars for 40+ years. I don't own any of these tools. But I have 2 hammers that work just fine.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

I have used these and had them work and sometimes not work...  They can generate enough force to squish the threads on a stud. Leaving the nut on, toward the top of the stud, can lessen the chance of damaging the stud.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users