https://racer.com/20...ided-next-week/

All or nothing?

https://racer.com/20...r-developments/

Laguna deal

https://racer.com/20...a-indycar-deal/

Turn in next time...

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

New possibilities

https://racer.com/20...ties-at-laguna/

Laguna in 2019

https://racer.com/20...inale-for-2019/

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Taking their marbles and going home.

https://racer.com/20...car-after-2018/

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Taking their marbles and going home.

https://racer.com/20...car-after-2018/

Seems logical considering it says Sonoma was losing money hosting the event. Even though I've started watching Indy Cars since they started putting the races on YouTube the sport is still dying. Even worse is the junior series Indy Lites with a whopping 7 cars...

http://jenkinsracing.com

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

If I ever meet Tony George I'm going to punch him in the head as hard as I can for ruining the CART Indycar series!

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

r.e. IndyCar: Are you guys kidding?! Ratings are up, attendance is up, competition has never been closer. Lots of new raising talents. Virtually anyone in the field can win on any given weekend. NASCAR and F1 should be so ruined.

Indy Lights is cyclical - some years have bigger fields than others - depends on when new 'crops' of drivers join the series.

• Ron Alan likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

What do you think on Robin's take ?

https://racer.com/20...ace-wrong-time/

J~

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

What do you think on Robin's take ?
https://racer.com/20...ace-wrong-time/

J~

I think he means well.

The only reason I pay attention to IndyCar at all is for the road & street circuits. I’ve never seen the point of watching oval track races of more than a few laps. Sure, there’s a lot more “passing” but with less drama than my commute to work. Reminds me of basketball where it might be fun to watch the last few minutes, except that the penalties/crashes too often slow it to a crawl anyway. So ending the season on a little oval holds no more appeal to me than a parade at a good road course, and I’d at least tune in hopefully for the latter. On the other hand, if they came to Gateway toward the end the season when things have cooled down I might be more tempted to attend.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Do you feel because you race, you prefer road courses, than somebody that hasn't raced and just watches and might prefer ovals ?

J~

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
That’s probably the case for some people, but in my youth I had very little interest in oval track racing despite having grown up near enough a track to often hear them running. I paid some attention to various types of road racing since way back, not an avid fan at first but at least it looked more interesting and probably more familiar to riding in a car on twisty roads. Once I started driving at 16 there was no contest.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Oval racing takes a special skill set, and a lot of nerve.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Oval racing takes a special skill set, and a lot of nerve.

Absolutely, particularly at the top level, but I’d rather watch golf.

steveracer

steveracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

I miss the CART series of the 90's...I refused to watch the IRL on principal. The current series just doesn't grab me, I think the cars are ugly.

Steven Holloway

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Good stuff - large attachments

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=FKkTv0OC004

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I miss the CART series of the 90's...I refused to watch the IRL on principal. The current series just doesn't grab me, I think the cars are ugly.

Amen brother!  I'll watch it on rare occasion.  But the cars are ugly, cookie cutter machines.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Good stuff - large attachments

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=FKkTv0OC004

Or, 30 minutes of highlights and still too long, and another anticlimactic finsh under yellow.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

If I ever meet Tony George I'm going to punch him in the head as hard as I can for ruining the CART Indycar series!

AAA, USAC, CART, IRL and today Indy Car. If you have a desire to punch someone in the head, try punching Penski, Patrick and a couple of their pals for forming CART to go street racing. End result Tony George started the IRL and said, I own the football and if you want to race the Indianapolis 500 your going to play with my football.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

AAA, USAC, CART, IRL and today Indy Car. If you have a desire to punch someone in the head, try punching Penski, Patrick and a couple of their pals for forming CART to go street racing. End result Tony George started the IRL and said, I own the football and if you want to race the Indianapolis 500 your going to play with my football.

Tony started the IRL because he was butt hurt that they would never vote him onto the BoD for CART. So he started his own series for "American drivers running on ovals". The first race had just as many foreign drivers as CART did.

He took half the fans, teams, sponsors, etc from CART, and both series floundered. ASSHAT!(Tony George, I have no opinion on Bench...)

• Peter Olivola likes this

Steven Holloway

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Back to whose the A$$HAT. As I stated Penske, Patrick and friends started this whole deal so they could go road racing, SCCA was involved also. 

CART being owned by Penske and other race team owners.

"CART went bankrupt at the end of the 2003 season. A trio of CART team owners acquired the assets of the sanctioning body (forming what was known legally as Open Wheel Racing Series, Inc.) and renamed it as the Champ Car World Series (CCWS), again highlighting the historic 'Champ Car' term. Continuing financial difficulties caused CCWS to file for bankruptcy before its planned 2008 season; its assets were merged into the IRL's IndyCar Series, reuniting both series of American open-wheel racing."

IndyCar is owned by Hulman & Company, which also owns the Indianapolis Motor Speedway complex. It may not be owned by Tony, but close enough because Penske and friends didn't have the $$$ or own the football to play their game.

"The sanctioning body was formed in 1994 under the name Indy Racing League, and began competition in 1996. The trademark name INDYCAR was officially adopted on January 1, 2011. The sport of open-wheel car racing itself, also historically referred to as Championship Car racing or Indy racing, traces its roots to as early as 1905. It is the fourth major sanctioning body to govern the sport of Indy car racing, following AAA, USAC, and Champ Car."

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
If you didn't like the IndyCar race at Mid Ohio yesterday then you don't like racing.
  • DrDomm likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users