powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:145
Did everyone receive this email from NASA?

I'm surprised that no one is talking about this topic......

Hello Toyo Tires Classic competitors!

Thank you for registering early for this historic event. NASA and Toyo Tires are honored to welcome you to what is looking to be the biggest gathering of Spec Miata competitors in history. My goal is to give you the time and attention you need to have a successful Championship event. I'm sending this email to you now to ensure everyone is prepared for the upcoming event and to answer any questions you may have. There are four important requirements for the Toyo Tires Classic.

Gas — We will be requiring the use of VP Racing Fuels C9 fuel for this event. VP Racing Fuels will have a fuel truck on hand specifically for the Spec Miata field which will supply all the required fuel for the event. All Spec Miata competitors will be required to run this onsite VP C9 racing fuel during all competition sessions. You must use the fuel from the onsite fuel truck. Onsite fuel testing will be conducted during the event and you will be required to have zero “pump gas” or additives in the fuel tank to pass this testing. This fuel will be contaminated by even trace amounts of other gas or additives in your tank, so please plan accordingly by running test sessions, etc. to burn off other gas. We are currently working with the supplier to secure the best pricing possible for your event weekend. This high-quality fuel will help us better provide all Spec Miata competitors with an equal shot at this extraordinary prize package.

Tires — We are mandating the use of a ‘championship’ tire for the Spec Miata field at the 2018 NASA Championships event. This single set of tires will all be identical having been produced in the same production batch and will carry specific marks to easily identify them. All competitors will be required to start their main race on these new tires. This will ensure that all competitors in their main race of the weekend will be on the exact same tire for this unprecedented event. These tires will be made available to you cheaper than other online retailers to again ensure the best possible pricing for you. Failure to run these specific tires will result in loss of any contingency winnings and/or disqualification from the results. A link will be sent next week enabling you to purchase this required set of tires and will also explain the mounting/balancing process during the event.

OBD ports — Please verify your OBD ports are in working order before arriving for the event. This will be a required working part for the event and failure to have a functional OBD port may result in a DQ until made functional.

Windshield Banner — All Spec Miata competitors will be provided a complimentary "Toyo Tires Classic" windshield banner in their registration packet upon checkin at the COTA facility. This windshield banner will be a required part of event competition for Spec Miata competitors for the duration of the event.

We are working hard to put a number of the finishing details together to share with you regarding the event and you can expect to see those very soon.

I welcome all feedback. If you have questions or concerns, please email me at - xavier@nasaracing.net

Sincerely,
National Auto Sport Association
ENTRY LIST
EVENT INFO
SPREAD THE WORD
Tweet
Forward
CONNECT WITH US

OFFICIAL NATIONAL PARTNERS
Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
What would you expect anybody to say? It’s their money and their rules. Deal with it or don’t come. Seems simple. Every runoffs or champs I have been to I bought tires from the track vendors and we ran required stickers and spec fuel. Where is the question?
  • Justin Casey, Danica Davison and Keith Williamson like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145
No question really. Anything out of the ordinary usually becomes a topic of much discussion here so I was surprised it wasn't already being discussed

In general, I think the tires and the fuel are a good direction for parity during the Main. I assume this means that shaving of tires will be taken out of the equation.

Fuel price is always a question for track fuel. I am not familiar C9 so I'm not sure where that price point is normally relative to regular pump gas.
Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67
My only question is can we run the tires for the weekend or do they need to be new for the main?

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

C9...which google says is E0.  Surprised they would pick an E0 fuel, when everyone has their fuel pressures set to run E10 pump gas. 

• Jim Drago, Michael Colangelo and Steve Scheifler like this

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

C9...which google says is E0. Surprised they would pick an E0 fuel, when everyone has their fuel pressures set to run E10 pump gas.

Agreed. I predict a lot of money spent for dyno time ahead of this one.
  • trimless likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Perhaps one of the respected shops will offer to buy some C9 in advance and perform the necessary back-to-back testing against something like BP 93 w/ethanol then publish results. Surely they will be tuning for it anyway.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Perhaps one of the respected shops will offer to buy some C9 in advance and perform the necessary back-to-back testing against something like BP 93 w/ethanol then publish results. Surely they will be tuning for it anyway.

With the amount on the line and tuning now coming into play more than usual--------I am sure there will be advise out there---Not sure I would trust beyond seeing it on the dyno myself..

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

With the amount on the line and tuning now coming into play more than usual--------I am sure there will be advise out there---Not sure I would trust beyond seeing it on the dyno myself..

True enough but I’m sure Joe-average who isn’t really expecting to be at the front would appreciate knowing that it makes sense to tweak fuel and/or timing a bit, or to shoot for a slightly different AFR at the track.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Fuel price is always a question for track fuel. I am not familiar C9 so I'm not sure where that price point is normally relative to regular pump gas.

Meh. Fuel is such a small expense in the grand total of the event.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

True enough but I’m sure Joe-average who isn’t really expecting to be at the front would appreciate knowing that it makes sense to tweak fuel and/or timing a bit, or to shoot for a slightly different AFR at the track.

Average Joe will need to make some friends with some of the shops :) I doubt anything will be posted here though

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

My only question is can we run the tires for the weekend or do they need to be new for the main?

The intent of the tire rule is to make sure each competitor is on exactly the same tire.  New and not shaved. 

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

C9...which google says is E0.  Surprised they would pick an E0 fuel, when everyone has their fuel pressures set to run E10 pump gas. 

https://vpracingfuel...om/product/c9/ 

Toby Linder