BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67
From looking at the payout schedule (both hard charger award and Group B payout) it looks like Group B race doesn't happen until 95 entries. When I entered I counted 91 discrete entries - unfortunately I think there will be more cancellations than new sign ups at the now $2000 price.

Worst case (since it would include me) they put the over-limit entries into another qualifying session.

Was hoping this would be bigger than Indy.

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

25 per mile is what I've always heard with SCCA. I would imagine every track has a say or their own policy. Doesn't SCCA have a policy by which they will push the envelope by maybe 10% depending on the situation? Unless Lemons doesn't count as racing we certainly know some tracks don't care or allow more cars given a specific event.(per mile)

SCCA GCR says "Division Executive Steward" can change the 25/mi limit. Hopefully NASA can do something similar if we are talking <5 cars.
  • Ron Alan likes this

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I just want enough cars for their to be a group B race and I crowned King of the Larrys.

Lol my goal at Indy was victory donuts on the yard of bricks but I screwed it up when I qualified 60th (last one to avoid the LCQ).
  • lillyweld likes this

jpsomner

jpsomner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:LA

Regarding the fuel issue, I ran this by a friend at a tuning shop. Reply as follows (pretty much what Jim predicted): 

Regarding E0, the effect of switching from E10 (we usually measure e8-e9 at the pump in SoCal) is minimal.  The effect on mixture will be to make a car tuned on E10 run about 3% richer when switching to E0 fuel.  This is assuming that both fuels have the same specific gravity which may not be the case as the C9 is listed at 0.718 and most pump gas with ethanol runs between 0.7 and 0.77.  If the specific gravity of the E10 fuel is higher than the C9 the net effect on mixture could be even less.

In short, the mixture difference should be quite small such that most will not notice it.  If you are concerned about it and have an adjustable regulator, dropping the regulator pressure by 5% or so will take care of the difference (about 2-3 psi on most port injected cars).

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:31

Schedule is up and qualifying and race groups explained. No Group B SM Deux payout, and it seems the championship race will have 70 cars. 

Toyo Tires Classic Event Details
  Congratulations! If you’re reading this email, it means you’re registered to compete in this professional Spec Miata race, the inaugural Toyo Tires Classic during the 2018 NASA Championships. Here is some important information regarding the way the event will be operated and what you need to know to make it into the big money final race!

The tentative event schedule is available here

Qualifying Process –
Friday:

• Spec Miata entrants will be randomly selected to compete in 1 of 2 available warm-up groups for Friday competition. This group will be your assigned run group for the day.
  • Friday morning warm-up will be gridded based on order of registration,within your group.
  • The 2 remaining Friday qualifying sessions will be gridded based on fastest lap from your previous session.
  • The top 45 fastest times from all four Friday SM qualifying sessions will gain entry into the Toyo Tires Classic Qualifying Session 1.1 Saturdaymorning. This makes you eligible to compete in the Toyo Tires Classic final race Saturday at 2:15 pm.
  • Remaining Toyo Classic competitors will qualify in the Toyo Tires Classic Qualifying Session 1.2 Saturday morning. 

Saturday:

• Toyo Tires Classic Qualifying session 1.1 will be a traditional qualifying session, not a qualifying race. The 45 fastest SM competitors fromFriday qualifying sessions will compete for pole for the feature race at2:15 pm. This will not be a qualifying race. It will be a traditional qualifying session.  Regardless of qualifying results from this session, competitors will start the feature race no lower than the 45th position. (In the event of a tie in lap time or not completing a lap during the Sat. morning qualifying sessions, fast qualifying time from Fri. will be used to break the tie.)
  • Toyo Tires Classic Qualifying Session 1.2 – 20 to 25 of the fastest competitors will advance to the feature Toyo Tires Classic at 2:15 pm.These top 20-25 qualifiers from this session will make up places 46th on up for the grid.
  • Remaining SM competitors that don’t advance to Toyo Tires Classic Feature Race will advance to the SM (Deux) qualifying race at 4:45 pm. This race will set the Championships race grid for your Sunday race.

Tires
The required “Championship Tires” previously announced will be available for purchase here for $700. These tires are being provided to all SM competitors at a discounted rate to ensure class parity amongst all competitors in your final race. 

• Specially marked tires from the same production batch.
  • Required for the Toyo Tires Classic Feature race on Sat. and the SM (Deux) race on Sun.
  • Wheels for mounting must be dropped off to Official Toyo Tires vendor on site no later than Friday, Sept. 14 at noon. To ensure timely mounting, plan to drop off your wheels earlier. The earlier, the better.
  • Tires for the Toyo Tires Classic Feature race will be available for pickupSat., Sept. 15 at 10 am. Tires will not be released any earlier than that.
  • Tires for the SM (Deux) race will be available for pickup Sun. Sept. 16 at 11 am.

Contingency

Over $100,000 cash on the line!!
Based upon entries as of this morning, we currently have 89 Spec Miata competitors entered making $101,000 in cash up for grabs. The winner of the Toyo Tires Classic will walk away with at least a cool $75,000 for winning this competition while second, third, fourth, and fifth place taking home $10,000, $5,000, $2,500, and $1,000 respectively. We’ll also have 2 hard-chargers from the weekend event that take home $2,500 with another 5 random winners walking away with $1,000 each! These totals could increase if we get any additional entries in the next few weeks, so be sure to spread the word.

From all of us at NASA, we really look forward to welcoming you to the 2018 NASA Championships presented by Toyo Tires next month of Circuit Of the Americas. 

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

I guess the winner of Sunday's SM (Duex) race gets...nothing?  NASA Texas Region points? Bragging rights?

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

I guess the winner of Sunday's SM (Duex) race gets...nothing?  NASA Texas Region points? Bragging rights?

Being the coolest kid on the short bus....

• steveracer and Jim Drago like this

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

Prize money for SM Duex needs 95 entries.

Toby Linder