• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Does anyone know if the the "new" podium had the same level of teardown as the "original" podium? Do we know their CV joints were "legal"?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

Does anyone know if the the "new" podium had the same level of teardown as the "original" podium? Do we know their CV joints were "legal"?

Guarantee you ~50% of the field had the same shit lol

• tylerbrown likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65

So results are official... congrats Danny, Preston and Peter on getting paid! 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I believe Danny said he put his tub in the trailer with a fork lift.
Congrats to the podium. TMC drivers well done.

In case you missed it. Official Results.

http://timingscoring...es Classic).pdf

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

First, Congratulations to Danny Steyn, Preston Pardus and Peter Ensor as well as all the people who help in their efforts to get their cars on track.  Regardless of my opinions of these findings, it had nothing to do with these competitors and I am sure they would have preferred to have won on track and not this way. So, my congratulations to you guys.

As most know I am the builder of the 156 car driven by Todd Buras.  The goal here as always is to build and prep a car that can win these events and pass all technical inspections.  The driver has no part in any of this other than driving the car.  While many may be expecting an apology, I have only one apology to make, that was to the driver and has already been done.   

Regarding the axle cages.. most have formed their own opinions.  Hard to claim any of those opinions are “wrong” and not trying to change anyone’s opinion with this post. Just figured I owed the community an explanation.  Unlike SCCA,  NASA can and does basically do what they like and then try to use whatever rule they feel is appropriate to validate what they don’t like.  My interpretation of the rules is the same now as it always has been and it won’t change moving forward. I won’t be debating anyone regarding this opinion moving forward either. Once this was opened up to the aftermarket industry certain things had to change. Most have read by now that all remanufacturers grind cages as needed to rebuild them. it is the industry standard procedure. That implicitly allows cage modification, (ironically what we were Dq’ed for).  It also completely does away with the old “if it doesn’t say you can, you can’t.  While not spelled out, it is clearly allowed as that is exactly what remanufacturers do. When you allow remanufacturers the ability to grind cages, you allow competitors the same ability to grind cages. So you have the ability to grind the cages and the only specification would be to be to stay within half of the next decimal point in terms of tolerance.  Any cages within that tolerance with or without tool marks should be compliant to the current rules. Not the “spirit of the rule, Not the intent of the rule, but it does comply with the written rule. There is no rule that says you need to have company ABC reman your axles. There is no rule that says your axle cages need to comply and look exactly like the cages from reman company ABC. There is no rule that says your ball can’t pass through the cage window. To be clear, the axles in car 156 and most of our builds, the axles are built here, by us. They were NOT bought from a reman company.  Despite the attempt by the NASA tech photographer to make our axle cages appear coated, polished or remmed, in person they all looked the same in terms of finish. NONE were polished etc. The picture with the huge gap at the bottom is also another attempt to sway public opinion. The ball is overlapping on the top of the cage window to exaggerate the gap on the bottom of the cage window. The axles would likely lock up and most definitely LOSE efficiency with a gap that large. You only need to clearance these cage a few thousandths of an inch if the goal is to allow the balls to pass through the cage. We built the axles to insure smooth operation and hopes that there would be less friction. Claims of 1-2 hp gains in our executive appeal made by the NASA “expert” (sited as a former Sm competitor) are pure ignorance. Most know this‘expert” and you would be hard pressed to find anyone in SM that agree with his status as an “expert” There is also a clear bias evidenced in his misleading facebook posts.  Moving forward, we will not be changing anything regarding how we prep axles here. While I regret and disagree with the findings of NASA, our team will likely never race NASA again. Through the end of the 2018 season at a minimum, the axles will be compliant in the SCCA. Expect to see a race memo in the next few days. There may be a rule coming for the 19 season that addresses this, if so we will certainly change and comply to the new rule. So it is entirely possible that the winner of the 18 Runoffs could be running the same axles that were dq’ed here.  

Rumors of how this was the most invasive and complete tech are VERY far from the truth. I’m sure many will look at this as sour grapes. It isn’t. I have never hid that we build our cars and push the rules, however it has never been our intention to run a part we feel will be found non-compliant in any technical inspection.  In 40 plus times, twice now the sanctioning body has pushed back. I am ok with that and I understand their position.  I have no problem with that, its racing. However, there were MANY issues in tech that were simply inexcusable.  

The tech shed was honestly a disorganized mess. There were no passes, hundreds of people walked in and out tech that had no business being there. Tech was not locked up overnight. All the parts were left out for anyone to see or touch. Many procedures and rules were broken. The chain of custody on almost every part touched was broken at some point.  Haldemans shocks and Buras shocks were mismarked and even now we have no idea which shocks each of us have.  Our parts, against the rules and procedures were taken apart by the tech staff after hours with none of us there to witness. Our CV joints were disassembled, after hours by tech against the rules and by tech( which they denied btw).  That should have completely been the end of this. The chain of custody broken completely. Who is to say that any of those cages weren’t mixed up just like our shocks? We were not there to witness any of it.  However, it is NASA and they can choose to ignore their own rules and supps when it suits their agenda it seems. 

About the worst part of tech was that in this “most invasive tear down ever” the tech staff did not check actual compression on the cars or pull fuel samples from top cars. While I am certain axle cages are what won this race, I would like to think that something as small and insignificant as compression and fuel may also have a small effect ? Granted not as much as these cages, but perhaps a little.  I can only assume that tech did not have the knowledge or confidence to properly CC the engines.  We have all seen and know the games played with the whistler.. You can’t rely on that tool in a race of this caliper. If competitors/builders knew this going into the event and I firmly believe some did, compression was basically open. FWIW, none of the top five had compression measured other than with a whistler and only p3,p4 and p5. Ironically P1 and P2 were not checked by ANY METHOD!  Not saying any were wrong, just that we will never know as none were even checked.

Lastly, this was aimed at me and me only.  I apologize to Chris and Brian as I think in NASA’s attempt at “getting me”, Chris and Brian were caught in the crossfire. I won’t bore you with the long history. But it is there. I will simply say while in tech waiting for Henderson's engine to clear tech. This was about four hours after Henderson’s axles cleared and a full day after Haldeman's cleared.  I asked the chief scrutineer if I could sit at the table and examine the axle cages. I had provided 4 samples after the event as I was asked to do by NASA tech. So there were two piles of cages on this table.. I assumed mine and the samples as all the other competitors were CLEARED by this point. Upon examination, I noticed that a ball bearing on the table( no idea who it belonged to, probably the Mazda sample axle)  it went through all six holes on all four cages that I examined. I asked Xavier which cage from the 156 car, assuming the cages were the 156 and the samples I provided. He pointed to what they claim was Todd's cage .  I responded, well which are these pointing to the remaining three in the stack.  To which Xavier responded "Haldeman, Henderson and one of the samples". THAT IS A CLEAR VIOLATION. I should have never been allowed to touch or see any competitors parts, NEVER! Let alone handle and inspect them. Then you must ask, how screwed up is this that they wanted me so badly that they would ONLY DQ my customer for something that they felt was somehow wrong in my car, but not wrong in the others? This was intentional. For the damage caused to Chris and Brian, I wish I never even looked at those cages and let them just serve us up. That was the goal from the start it seems. From this point forward they knew they had an issue they could no longer hide and IMO why it took a week to make a decision.  A week later, NASA sent Chris and Brian, who were already cleared tech  btw a DQ letter.  If I were Chris(the only one with enough on the line IMO) , I would absolutely sue NASA and he would absolutely win in real court. The facts and the rules matter there.  IMO, NASA does not have a leg to stand on.  You can’t pick or chose what rules you want to apply and which you don’t.  His axle was well within all specifications, they have NO case against him whatsoever IMO!  Chris will always be the real winner of this race and IMO it was taken from him unfairly and against the rules, regulations and procedures.  

• Mark, Alex Piku, steveracer and 8 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

My heart goes out to Chris Haldeman, Todd Buras and Brian Henderson. These are drivers that I consider good friends and tough competitors that I love to race with. Definitely not the way any of us want to win or lose.

A big thanks Mike Rossini for a great engine and Tom Fowler and the entire team at OPM for building a prepping a great car that passed tech, and of course to Danny and Chris Puskar for their amazing G-Loc Brakes.

Hopefully we got the car put back together right so we can compete at Sonoma in two weeks’ time.

And Walter, as well as anyone else sitting on the sidelines, these big events bring out the best in drivers, and I was thrilled to be battling among my friends, and props to everyone at Mazda, NASA and TOYO for putting on a really memorable event at COTA.

• CruzanTom and Team Nitro like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bi11

Bi11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Florida

Just curious? How much faster will I go with these modified ,remanufactured cv joints. CAUSE I WANT TO GO REAL FAST

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

Bi11, have you not heard? It's 95% driver..\\

These cars are all fast, it's the driver that makes them REAL fast.

• Jason J Ball likes this
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

My heart goes out to Chris Haldeman, Todd Buras and Brian Henderson. These are drivers that I consider good friends and tough competitors that I love to race with. Definitely not the way any of us want to win or lose.

And Walter, as well as anyone else sitting on the sidelines, these big events bring out the best in drivers, and I was thrilled to be battling among my friends, and props to everyone at Mazda, NASA and TOYO for putting on a really memorable event at COTA.

I think "our" issue from the peanut gallery, is that it seems like its the ONLY way anyone wins either of the Championship races, anymore. 

But you are right, we don't have any skin in the game and this is NOT a spectator sport.  If this is the way you guys WANT to "race" after the checkered flag...enjoy. 

Its not how I want to race, and it anything remotely similar started in regional comp, I'd quit THAT day.  Also, if certain racing friends of mine stop racing NASA as a result of this incident...so will I. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Just trying to follow here...

So Jims on NASA Shit list? I see the connection with Todd. There's a connection with Chris and Brian and thats why they were focus on/ DQ'd? Had Jims CVs??

And maybe Todd had legal (to NASA) cages and Chris and Brian had mods??

Just asking.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

So you have the ability to grind the cages and the only specification would be to be to stay within half of the next decimal point in terms of tolerance. Any cages within that tolerance with or without tool marks should be compliant to the current rules.

Jim you lost me....in the bolded part.  Well, not exactly "lost", I understand the concept...but, we are all under the impression that there is NO SPEC---simply by the application of the "sample the field and average the result" rule (9.1.1 or whatever it was).  But, your statement would imply a "spec". 

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim you lost me....in the bolded part.  Well, not exactly "lost", I understand the concept...but, we are all under the impression that there is NO SPEC---simply by the application of the "sample the field and average the result" rule (9.1.1 or whatever it was).  But, your statement would imply a "spec". 

There is no spec.. But when no spec NASA uses the rule you stated.. You would need to be within that spec 

Just trying to follow here...

So Jims on NASA Shit list? I see the connection with Todd. There's a connection with Chris and Brian and thats why they were focus on/ DQ'd? Had Jims CVs??

And maybe Todd had legal (to NASA) cages and Chris and Brian had mods??

Just asking.

J~

Jims been on NASA shit list for awhile..  none of the rest there is accurate there at all.

No connection between chris and brian

None had CV axles from me but Todd

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Got it thanks

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

got it.  So for example:  NASA samples the field (a shit rule, but I digress), and computes an average of 34.025 mm.  You are saying the limit should THEN be, 34.025 +/- 0.0005. 

The entire concept of sampling the field is dumb squared...well probably dumb cubed.  Nevertheless, if you are going to try and apply a statistical sampling method to the field...it would be more useful to take into account the SPREAD in the field, as well as an average.  3.50, 3.50. 3.50 is very different from 3.0, 3.5, 4.0.  So, sample the field, take the average, and compute the standard deviation, and use  Avg + 3*stdev + (measurement tolerance) as your standard. 

Whatever, its a moot point.  and the idea is dumb on its face, anyway.

-tch

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Now that the results are out, Congrats to Danny, Preston and Peter. All of this is not their issue. There are always winners and losers in every race. I would say NASA was the big looser here. A loss of confidence in the organization. Just not a fair way to handle the situation. Say what you want, but I assume NASA put on this big money race as a way attract SM racers to their events. Well this is not confidence inspiring. When I first started racing in the mid west, 9 year ago, NASA was the place to race we had 40+ car fields. Today in our region if they get 6 SM's racing its a big field. Everyone around in our neck of the woods races with SCCA. Many like me were treated unfairly and unequally in tech and with DQ's. I could go on and on, but i wont.

Its Sad

• Jim Drago and lillyweld like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Well they compared to an "OEM" cage. This no longer exist ?  Wrong way to sample or no sample?

There was a missunderstanding of rule or lack of one for sure with some passing and others not.

But the thinking is I can get an aftermarket cage with the balls passing through and with no spec, I'm good and shouldn't be speced.

thus its open but that's not stated either.

Sounds like SCCA may state something soon. Will see what comes from this from both clubs.

J~

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

This will likely end up like extended lower front ball joints.  Whats good in one organization isn't necessarily good in the other.  It just means less and less cross over as we go down this path.  

I dont care what the rule ends up being, I have stacks of OEM axles here, but I also think NASA would have been hard pressed to find 2 cars in the top 12 that could pass their idea of Axles Spec!  If this method of DIY remaning or buying ones from cardone or elsewhere remanned wont pass tech,where does that leave us?

K. Webb