Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Also, and I say this in all seriousness (which is rare for me), the future of Spec Miatas in vintage racing. But this would be best in a new topic.

And......go.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
They don't want us...

There was quite the kerfuffle on one of the Facebook groups. Some svra guy got on there and told us to kindly stay the f away. I did my best to egg it on and make it worse.
  • Jim Drago, Michael Colangelo and Danica Davison like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

They don't want us...

There was quite the kerfuffle on one of the Facebook groups. Some svra guy got on there and told us to kindly stay the f away. I did my best to egg it on and make it worse.

Who are they?  The existing vintage car racers or the organizers? 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Iirc, it was one Mr Jim cook. Don't really know who he is.

The whole situation was pretty bizarre. He just randomly jumped into the middle of a thread said, "just because you're eligible doesn't mean we want you. Stay away." Praphrasing.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

Iirc, it was one Mr Jim cook. Don't really know who he is.

The whole situation was pretty bizarre. He just randomly jumped into the middle of a thread said, "just because you're eligible doesn't mean we want you. Stay away." Praphrasing.

Well that makes me want to buy a 1.6 and go raid their party. Who's with me!

• Cnj, Jason J Ball, Jim Drago and 5 others like this
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Lol. I felt exactly the same. I never had any interest in no contact racing until the Facebook incident.

Lookout bugs... Here comes the windshield!
  • Danica Davison likes this

-tch

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

SVRA now allows all NA SMs (90-97), so I think that will be the trend going forward.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Raced this year and last with the SVRA at VIR. Best time ever! SVRA bends over backwards to make us feel welcomed. With the Mazda contingency money the three days of track time cost $50 in 2017 and $75 in 2018. Both years the Trans Am series shares the weekend so you get to watch the pros, and this year the Pro Am was there with many former pro drivers in attendance, including Al Ulser, Jr., Max Papis, Boris Said, Willy T. Ribbs ( wearing an "Uppity" ballcap), Bill Elliott, Greg Biffle, Bobby Labonte, and many more. Tons of spectators made me feel like part of the show. And it's just plain cool to look at all the vintage race cars in the paddock. In fact 2019 will be my last year club racing (SCCA). After that it will be vintage racing. Hell, I am a vintage racer.
  • trimless, Michael Novak, Michael Colangelo and 1 other like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Best part - no one crashes your shit.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Is the aging vintage crowd hurting for car counts?

http://jenkinsracing.com

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Heacock Classic highlight reel (the ol' 88 makes a split second appearance at 3:58)

https://m.youtube.co...mgdGsyKK10&t=5s

We had 27 Miatas enter this year. No problem with car counts at VIR. The place was PACKED!

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
When SCCA or NASA don’t give the drivers what they are looking for the drivers will seak other places to play with their toys. SCCA has lost all the S2 cars to vintage and they love it. The vintage events have a lot to offer.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Given our reputation and relatively low write-off costs I can’t blame some drivers of nice vintage cars being more than a little nervous, but why wouldn’t they welcome SM entry fees so long as there are enough to justify their own run group? Perhaps that reduces track time for others?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Given our reputation and relatively low write-off costs I can’t blame some drivers of nice vintage cars being more than a little nervous, but why wouldn’t they welcome SM entry fees so long as there are enough to justify their own run group? Perhaps that reduces track time for others?

Vintage SMs don't need their own run group.  SM drivers racing vintage just need to abide by the standard vintage racing rules, especially no contact.  A couple years back I raced my '95 SM with VARA, the southern California-based vintage organization, and had no problems.  It was a lot of fun.  I may race my current SM in two weeks with VARA.  I see there's already an NA SM already signed up.

It's real simple.  Give racing room.  No low-percentage passes, no rubbing, no bump drafting, no contact.  Just as it is with any other vintage race car.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I do not think one mans Rant on FB is a good indicator. My friends Guthrie and Murdick have done the event twice at Mid Ohio and rave about the experience and how they were treated, As Denny said they bend over backwards to welcome you. So those are two data points.

• Michael Novak likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I do not think one mans Rant on FB is a good indicator. My friends Guthrie and Murdick have done the event twice at Mid Ohio and rave about the experience and how they were treated, As Denny said they bend over backwards to welcome you. So those are two data points.

:)

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Lol. I felt exactly the same. I never had any interest in no contact racing

There is a such a thing? who knew :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

does "no contact" also mean no bump drafting? or is it more "no non-consensual contact"

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Best part - no one crashes your shit.

Just wait til I get in there. I'll make it a party

• lillyweld likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

does "no contact" also mean no bump drafting? or is it more "no non-consensual contact"

If the person you hit puts #metoo on the protest paperwork ... you are pretty much f*cked

• Tom Sager, -P- and Samuel J like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users