- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1999
New to SM. Use to race formula cars, took about 4 years off and now I have the itch again.

Want to try SM this time around.

I weight 160lbs with gear.

Will be racing in the north east SCCA SM class.

Which car is the most competitive within the 2011 scca rules?

90-93 1.6L 2275 lbs with no restrictor. 10 lbs lighter than 2010

OR

94-97 1.8L 2365 lbs with 47mm restrictor. 10 lbs lighter and 2mm less restriction than 2010

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
You want either a 94 or a 99. The 1.6L is dead.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

You want either a 94 or a 99. The 1.6L is dead.

Come on Drago get em for saying that. It's worse than the stuff I say about my car which is a 1.6. On the other hand if the guy is racing NASA all the 99 SCCA folks are bitching because the 1.6 is the car to have in NASA. :D
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Come on Drago get em for saying that. It's worse than the stuff I say about my car which is a 1.6. On the other hand if the guy is racing NASA all the 99 SCCA folks are bitching because the 1.6 is the car to have in NASA. :D

You guys crack me up.
Neither organization is "far off" as all cars have won races under both rule sets, NASA or SCCA. If such relatively small changes( NASA VS SCCA rules) can make the "Car to have" in one organization and a "dog" in the other and vice versa. I would say the rules are pretty close. :rolleyes: Unless you think some magic number in the middle will make everyone happy and provide peace on earth. :blink: I wont hold my breath.

Maybe we all just bitch, whine and complain just a little too much and play the man drama card far more often then it needs to be played.

The simply answer is build the best car you can build, regardless of the year.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Jim.... we are starting to see LSD failures on the older 1.6L cars. My LSD is coming out this week to find out why it's working more like a VLSD. I had wheelspin allll over Eagles Canyon. Probably worn plates... but could be more.

Without a decent replacement for the no-longer available Mazdaspeed LSD, the 1.6 is dead. Until a clear replacement is identified, no one can build a new 1.6NA. It's dead. Simple as that.

If my LSD turns out to be unrepairable, my SM becomes someone else's prod car project. Simple as that.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
Which car is the most competitive within the 2011 scca rules?

90-93 1.6L 2275 lbs with no restrictor. 10 lbs lighter than 2010

OR

94-97 1.8L 2365 lbs with 47mm restrictor. 10 lbs lighter and 2mm less restriction than 2010
[/quote]

The cars are very close. With your weight and formula car background (comfort with a light car) I am guessing you would be comfortable and possibly fast in a 1.6. With that said the slight edge this year seems to be to the 1.8 but this forum will argue that for days. You never asked about the 99 which at this point has been presumed by many to be the car to have (although the facts are murky about this being definitive). I built a 99 before it became popular, primarily as I wanted a car that was not going to be 20 years old when I built it - which is the point that Kent is making.

If I were building for this year alone, I would probably build or buy a 94-97. If I were to build/buy a car I intended to keep for a few years, I would choose a 99 again based on youthfulness. The rules will change slightly from year to year and people will bitch vigorously that they have been screwed, but on the whole the changes are minor and different cars are competitive at different tracks.

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks guys for the info, much appreciated.

It seems crazy to me that the Mazdaspeed LSD is not available. Especially with the popularity of the class. Can you do a torsen swap on the 1.6 cars?

Could someone explain to me all the SM classes in the scca?

I see SM, SSM, SM2, and SM5...

Philip Springer

Philip Springer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:NASA M-S, SCCA SE 12

Jim.... we are starting to see LSD failures on the older 1.6L cars. My LSD is coming out this week to find out why it's working more like a VLSD. I had wheelspin allll over Eagles Canyon. Probably worn plates... but could be more.

Without a decent replacement for the no-longer available Mazdaspeed LSD, the 1.6 is dead. Until a clear replacement is identified, no one can build a new 1.6NA. It's dead. Simple as that.

If my LSD turns out to be unrepairable, my SM becomes someone else's prod car project. Simple as that.

There's always this option.
“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” -- Ernest Hemingway

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

There's always this option.

We have tested the Torsen swap. In fact, I bought a complete Torsen setup right after it became legal because it held the promise of being more reliable. The result: 1 to 1.5 seconds a lap slower than the clutch pack LSD.

Let's see... if you were building a SpecMiata today, your only options would be viscous or Torsen. Each will make you >1 second slower than your competitors. The 1.6L is still dead as an option for a new build and dying as a viable car period.

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Thanks guys for the info, much appreciated.

It seems crazy to me that the Mazdaspeed LSD is not available. Especially with the popularity of the class. Can you do a torsen swap on the 1.6 cars?

Could someone explain to me all the SM classes in the scca?

I see SM, SSM, SM2, and SM5...

Yes, the Torsen swap is legal (99+ to the earlier cars). See above.

SM = once a great class
SSM = a return to the basics where the driver mattered, not available everywhere
SM2 = wishful thinking
SM5 = the future, but it is 2 years or 5 years off?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We have tested the Torsen swap. In fact, I bought a complete Torsen setup right after it became legal because it held the promise of being more reliable. The result: 1 to 1.5 seconds a lap slower than the clutch pack LSD.

Let's see... if you were building a SpecMiata today, your only options would be viscous or Torsen. Each will make you >1 second slower than your competitors. The 1.6L is still dead as an option for a new build and dying as a viable car period.

Kent
Where did you test this? The old Nurburgring? :rolleyes:

SMAC/CRB have asked Mazda about this several times, the last time by me last week. We should have something shortly.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

SM = once a great class
SSM = a return to the basics where the driver mattered, not available everywhere
SM2 = wishful thinking

No I am serious. SM, SSM, SM2, and SM5 are listed as classes in this months NHMS race.

I know what SM and SSM are, but legitimately confused about SM2 and SM5.

Is SM2 a second run group, for the large SM class?

What about SM5?

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Kent

SMAC/CRB have asked Mazda about this several times, the last time by me last week. We should have something shortly.
Jim

HochschuleBahnhofRing 4.67km
Posted Image

VERY, VERY good driver in the car. I think you know who.

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

No I am serious. SM, SSM, SM2, and SM5 are listed as classes in this months NHMS race.

I know what SM and SSM are, but legitimately confused about SM2 and SM5.

Is SM2 a second run group, for the large SM class?

What about SM5?

SM5 is a new class for the MX-5 cars. A lower level of prep than the MX-5 cup cars, but similar.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Kent

Jim

Good to hear Jim!

I had a diff tooth break last month and was very lucky to get it repaired without needing a new LSD. Like Kent, I won't be doing the torsen upgrade, so I'm hoping we can get a replacement option very soon! In a class where you'd give your first born to go a tenth faster, it is a big deal.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Car Number:7

SM5 is 06+ cars. SM2 in the NER is 90-97 cars that are prepped/legal for SM. Basically SM2 is no 99s, but we'll be running in that race group with our 99s in the ITS class B) We just won't be competing with the SM2 cars for points.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
I have a complete 1.6 with a Mazdacomp diff that I will sell for $650.00 This unit came with a package deal and I have not run it, so no promises. I opened it up and everything looks good.

I also have a Mazdacomp clutch pack rebuild kit. No idea what it's worth, so first reasonable offer.

Please use email below, NO PM PLEASE

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

SM5 is a new class for the MX-5 cars. A lower level of prep than the MX-5 cup cars, but similar.

SM5 is 06+ cars. SM2 in the NER is 90-97 cars that are prepped/legal for SM. Basically SM2 is no 99s, but we'll be running in that race group with our 99s in the ITS class B) We just won't be competing with the SM2 cars for points.

Ok thanks guys, that clears things up. I was completely lost. lol

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Bunch of noob questions.

What is the best fuel to run with these cars?

Where do you buy the restricor plates?

Are the restrictor plates available at the track to buy from scca?

Do we have required stickers we must run besides the SCCA, number, and class?

Are good magnetic numbers legal?

Thanks!

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

SM = once a great class
SM2 = wishful thinking

Seems to me like you should look for a new class to run? May I suggest an arrive and drive type of deal like Skip Barber where you can't possibly complain about parity?

;)

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users