• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
What is the best source to get new CV axles? OEM? Aftermarketer?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67
Ha. Haha. Hahahaha.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

What is the best source to get new CV axles? OEM? Aftermarketer?

Do you want big balls ones or little balls ? Just asking :)

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I don’t think you can still get new/OEM, so even if you order from Mazda they will be X.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
I don't know about new, but I sent mine to Gator axles ( near Orlando) to be rebuilt. I was very happy with their service. The axles came back with new boots and had been rebuilt with new grease and bearings. Whether or not there are issues with spec legal or whatever that is now, I don't know. I'm probably not going to be protested for a tear down and was mainly looking for something that would work with no issues.

Cal

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I see the humor, but it's a serious question. My axles have 18 racing season on them, after 10 years on the street, I think they're due some attention. Rebuild is an option. Spec legal doesn't matter, I only race regionals. Ha ha haaa.

Frank, what size balls do you like?
  • FTodaro, lillyweld and BNaumann like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

I used Gator Axles for a rebuild. They use a hi-performance grease that according to them is not available to consumers. Really don't know if they did anything beyond cleaning, re-greasing and putting on new boots. But they turned them around very quickly and the cost was reasonable.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
As the biggest loser in the single worst decision in racing history..... if you plan to race in the scca the best option for axles is either X factor racing or east street racing. If you plan to race in Nasa change your plans
  • William Keeling, tLinder and lillyweld like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001

I see the humor, but it's a serious question. My axles have 18 racing season on them, after 10 years on the street, I think they're due some attention. Rebuild is an option. Spec legal doesn't matter, I only race regionals. Ha ha haaa.

Frank, what size balls do you like?

Denny, the bigger the better lol.

The only thing i would do to them is inspect and repack them. The more used the better IMO. Back the boots off the joint blast them in the parts washer and see if you see any scoring, if not repack and go.  While you are in there replace the seals on the diff.

• LarryKing likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Ditto for Gator.

Their initial rebuild is not necessarily cheap (~$400 for two pairs) but the turn-around was less than a week and they do a "check & repack" service of their previous rebuilds for something like $50.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users