Photo

Super Tour at Circuit of the Americas (Lone Star Region Polar Prix)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

30 and counting...

https://www.motorspo...0D6C3ADB3D1FA27

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

34 now, 49 for SRF3. Must be all those people selling NBs to move up to the NC. ;)
  • Johnny D likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

ENTRY FEES: Entries received February 1, 2019 will be charged $895. Entries received after February 1, 2019 will be charged $945.

you have got to be kidding.....900 dollar entry fees?  WTF...

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Still have time PST time, (motorsportsreg time), right ?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

ENTRY FEES: Entries received February 1, 2019 will be charged $895. Entries received after February 1, 2019 will be charged $945.

you have got to be kidding.....900 dollar entry fees? WTF...

Part of the reason car counts are down. And after the national office gets their cut it probably still takes 200 cars to pay the rent. Last year someone was throwing around 300 as break-even but I couldn’t make that add up. Still, I can imagine the event being in jeopardy as more people adopt the “been there, done that” attitude I’m already hearing. Unfortunate, but perhaps the club will find that lowering the entry fee brings in more $$ once the newness wears off.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

I attended the last 2 years, this year with minor car trouble decided to bring the car up north (back home) to work on it...If Nola would have been on the schedule my car would have stood down south and I would have done Cota for sure. In my opinion, Nola is way more fun for SM than COTA

BRING BACK NOLA! 

• William Keeling and tylerbrown like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
I was a little taken aback by the entry fee cost. I get the place is expensive to rent. I wonder why the SRF count is so much higher than SM? I doubt I would be attending if this weren’t so close to home. Even with the high entry fee this will be the cheapest racing i will do this year.
  • mhiggins10 likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

I was a little taken aback by the entry fee cost. I get the place is expensive to rent. I wonder why the SRF count is so much higher than SM? I doubt I would be attending if this weren’t so close to home. Even with the high entry fee this will be the cheapest racing i will do this year.

I reluctantly signed up last night.  $900?  That is outrageous.  I'd also agree that it's not all that fun for SM.  Once Eagle's Canyon re-opens I really don't see a reason to go back to COTA at that price.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
Based off the entry list looks like the COTA shine is wearing off. I was hoping for the almost 60 playmates of last year. Hopefully still plenty of fun to be had amongst the larrys... first super tour event for me, I'm excited.

Btw looks like it has been repaved since NASA nats. It's also probably my least favorite track in an SM but I'm relatively local and as long as it's around there will be big races there so I might as well try to learn to love it.

Btw NASA in May there is 1100 for 2 days. Probably about the same amount of track time though since were only doing 2 sessions a day.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Storylines/Things to Watch:

Coming to COTA – There are nearly 225 entries anticipated for this weekend’s Hoosier Super Tour at Circuit of the Americas. A quick review of the entry list shows the largest field belongs to Spec Racer Ford Gen3 with nearly 50 competitors, followed by the Spec Miata class with nearly 40 drivers seeking victory over two days of racing. Spectators should also keep an eye on the Super Touring® Lite, GT-2 and Touring 2 classes which each have around a dozen entries. Follow all the action with live static cameras and Super Tour Radio presented by Hoosier Racing Tire at www.scca.com/live.

Texans Hooked on COTA -- Just about half of all drivers schedule to compete at COTA during the Hoosier Super Tour hail from somewhere in Texas. However, drivers from throughout North America -- including Washington, Minnesota, New Hampshire and even British Columbia -- intend to thwart the efforts of locals when it comes to achieving victory. But no matter where they come from, many of these drivers are working toward meeting qualification criteria for the 2019 National Championship Runoffs® being held this fall at VIRginia International Raceway.

Defending Runoffs Champs -- There are a few defending Runoffs® Champions participating across 29 different car classes contained within seven race groups at Circuit of the Americas for this weekend’s Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA Super Tour. Those current National Champions include Super Touring® Lite ace Danny Steyn, Mark Donohue Award winner and Spec Racer Ford Gen3 driver Clay Russell, and Texas’ own Matt Reynolds, competing in E Production, and Mark Snyder from the Formula Enterprises class. Keep an eye on these four to see how the competition stacks up at COTA.

Free Weekend at COTA – Entry to the Hoosier Super Tour this weekend at COTA is free for spectators -- which is a lot less than the cost to attend the Formula One event at the same venue. It could be a bit chilly with a chance of rain in the forecast, but that just means racing Saturday and Sunday will be quite interesting. However, fans would be wise to dress appropriately and carry along a raincoat and/or umbrella.

Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA® Super Tour
February 8-10: Circuit of the Americas -- Austin, Texas

Event/Circuit:
Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA® Super Tour
Round 2 of 11 - Races 3 and 4 of 22
Circuit of the Americas: 20-turn, 3.41-mile circuit

Practice:
Seven Groups: 20-min. sessions Friday morning

Qualifying:
Seven Groups
Friday: 25-min. afternoon qualifying sessions
Saturday: 15-min. morning qualifying sessions

Races:
Seven Groups
Saturday: 25-min. afternoon races
Sunday: 35-min. morning and afternoon races

Live Timing and Notes: 
Live Timing & Scoring, lap notes, live video, Super Tour Radio presented by Hoosier Racing Tire and more via the SCCA® Pit Board available through www.scca.com/live.

Entry lists, full event schedules and more information available at Hoosier Super Tour Circuit of the Americas event webpage.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
I know why SM count is so low. We chew through so many transmissions at this track it’s not worth the trip for most, due to lost track time and cost. And for many it would be back to back Sebring and COTA. Can you imagine how many boxes Blake would have gone through in 2 weekends if races these two HST events!
  • Danica Davison likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Preston Pardus

Preston Pardus

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:42

Pulling for John Davison this weekend! He's been on fire every race he's ever started in history, so this should be no exception.

1.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP

2.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP

3.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP

4.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP
5.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP
6.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP
7.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP
8.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP

9.)  THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP

10.) THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP

• powerss, Danica Davison, lillyweld and 1 other like this
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
He’ll need to be on fire, 33F for practice. I hope nobody froze up last night.
Edit: Nope, 32 was the low.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Q1

https://www.scca.com...1-1549658576-28

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Race 1

https://www.scca.com...1-1549744798-78

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Race 2

https://www.scca.com...2-1549819540-06

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Is it just me or is SCCA not representing SM ??

Earlier Hoosier has their Shop Manual

https://www.scca.com...al-video-series

Can you find a SM video ??

https://www.youtube....oncKnkU-n8h1tGS

Today mention Danny's STL win (nice pic) and SM but check out the list...

https://www.scca.com...ludes-on-sunday

-American Sedan®: Kevin Fandozzi, St. Joseph, Michigan, Detroit Region, Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-B-Spec: John Phillips, Sealy, Texas, Houston Region, Honda Fit
-E Production: Breton Williams, Clinton, Iowa, Great River Region, Mazda MX-5
-F Production: Chuck Davis, Overland Park, Kansas, Kansas City Region, Acura Integra
-H Production: Riley Salyer, Longview, Texas, Houston Region, Honda Civic
-Formula 500: James Weida, West Lafayette, Indiana, Indianapolis Region, Scorpion W1/Rotax
-Formula 1000: Yarin Stern, Austin, Texas, Lonestar Region, Griiip G1
-Formula Atlantic®: Flynn Lazier, Vail, Colorado, Colorado Region, Swift 016/Mazda
-Formula Continental®: Peter Gonzalez, Norwalk, Connecticut, Northeast Region, Radon RN10
-Formula Enterprises: Mark Snyder, Southlake, Texas, Texas Region, Formula Enterprises/Mazda
-Formula Enterprises 2: Robert Vanman, Allen, Texas, Texas Region, Formula Enterprises/Mazda
-Formula F: Misha Goikhberg, Baun, Ontario, Glen Region, Mygale FF
-Formula Vee®: Chris Jennerjahn, Hartford City, Indiana, Indianapolis Region, Vortech/Volkswagen
-Formula Mazda: Nathan Ratton, Rockwall, Texas, Texas Region, Formula Mazda
-GT-1: Joseph Freda, Notasulga, Alabama, Alabama Region, Chevrolet Corvette
-GT-2: Barry Boes, Dripping Springs, Texas, Texas Region, Ford Mustang
-GT-Lite: Larry Svaton, Alvin, Texas, Houston Region, Mazda MX-5
-GT-X: Sean Young, Austin, Texas, Texas Region, Aston Martin Vantage
-Prototype 1: Darryl Shoff, Reading, Pennsylvania, Northeastern Pennsylvania Region, Elan DP02
-Prototype 2: Tray Ayres, Gainesville, Georgia, Atlanta Region, Van Diemen ESR-Spec Miata: Danny Steyn, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Florida Region, Mazda Miata
-Spec Racer Ford 3: Denny Stripling, McKinney, Texas, Texas Region, Spec Racer Ford
-Super Touring® Lite: Danny Steyn, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Florida Region, Mazda MX-5
-Super Touring® Under: David Fiorelli, Coppell, Texas, Texas Region, Subaru BRZ
-Touring 1: Michael Pettiford, Louisville, Colorado, Colorado Region, Chevrolet Corvette
-Touring 2: Cooper MacNeil, Hinsdale, Illinois, Colorado Region, BMW M3
-Touring 3: Scotty B. White, Auburn, Washington, Northwest Region, Ford Mustang
-Touring 4: Ron Munnerlyn, Bennettsville, South Carolina, Central Carolinas Region, Mazda MX-5

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

It's just you

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I pulled out Wednesday around lunch and it rained for 9 hours of my ten hour drive, it was cold and rainy most of the weekend and rained for my entire drive home last night, followed by more rain on the way to work and raining hard now :(

I actually went to this race alone, first time in a long time. I am seeing some changes in Sm and a lot of the 'normal' guys are going away or not racing as much. maybe Cota is losing a little luster and it is not worth the extra expense to some.  the turnout was much thinner than years passed and the depth of the talent at the front was not nearly as deep as it has been in previous years. Clearly not as much fun running these races alone and not with your normal team mates etc.  Also not seeing Chris in Haldeman in the race was strange as he has been the guy to beat the last few seasons there. 

Saturdays race was a good one.. Slight contact in turn one and from there is was pretty straight forward. I drove a pretty solid race, managing pace and tires.  the penske shocks here are worth every penny. I could and have burnt the tires off the car at cota in three laps. I was able to drive the car hard the entire race, the tires never really fell off at all. How much of that was colder temps versus penskes, I really don't know. But it was a very welcome change.  Most ran there fastest laps toward the end of the race which is always a good sign.  Congrats to Danny and Michael Ross as well

Sundays race looked like it would be dry, but another shower came through and it was so cold, so it was wet tire race all though it was not raining.  My sticker rains I ordered never came in which kind of sucked, but it is what it is. I dont think anyone had anything for Danny as he opened up so fast from what he learned in STL, he was on cruise control. It was a pretty boring race up front, Danny with a good lead over Carter, Carter with a gap over Matt Reynolds and Matt Reynolds with a pretty good gap over Trevor McCallion and myself.  Trevor and I had an awesome race and by far the most fun in the field.  I have said it before, but Trevor is one of the best Sm drivers that no one outside of Texas has ever heard of :)  he is really good in the wet. we had a blast, but he got the best of me and beat me to the line.   Congrats to Danny, Michael Carter and Matt Reynolds on their podium finishes. 

• MPR22, trimless and Danny Steyn like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Saturdays race with Jim  was pretty intense. Only had two real passing opportunities but couldnt make either stick. Great hard clean racing.

• Bench Racer, Jim Drago, Richard Astacio and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users