Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

Chillout systems will be launching a refrigerant style cool suit system very soon. Rini Technologies is the only other company I'm aware of that has a refrigerant based cooling unit on the market, albeit at the cost of a 1.6L!

Not such an issue for the short SM races, but we've always struggled to maintain a Ice based cool suit system that can last the entire 2 hour stint for champcar. Its nice to see more products coming to market and lowering the price of entry.

https://www.facebook...hilloutsystems/

https://www.chilloutsystems.com/

-Erik

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
These are friends of mine in ATL...they've done alot of solid work testing and developing this.

Vinnie Baratta

Vinnie Baratta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
These are friends of mine in ATL...they've done alot of solid work testing and developing this.

Camaro67racer

Camaro67racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:20

So it says "Our system uses around 300 watts or 28 amps maximum when fighting extreme temps in vehicle which we've have tested at just over 120 degrees."

That's a lot more than the 2.5 amps the CoolShirt draws.

Does anyone smarter than me and familiar with the electrical load that we put on our cars care to weigh in...

Can our alternators handle this extra load? I don't know what the ignition, ECU, and full data system already draws.

Says it's drawing the max of 28 amps, would/could there be a negative effect on engine performance in our small HP Miatas?

Jon Yanca

2003 SM

Former cars:
2010 MX-5 T4

2001 SM

1996 SM

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Well, 1hp = ~746 watts so the max load should be less than 1/2 hp. During the day your alternator can easily handle that.
  • Camaro67racer likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

Anyone ever check to find out how much HP the stock AC compressor draws when on? I'm curious......

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Less than whatever the fuse for it is rated at, but that’s the least of the parasitic losses.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

No, I mean how much parasitic loss is an engaged compressor?If someone has a stock Miata on the dyno, I'd love to find out if my guess is close.....

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Might not be that simple. Aren’t they designed to cut out the compressor under max engine load?

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Considering the 1.6 alternator can only output a max of 50A, dedicating 28 of them to just your cooling seems to be setting you up for some electrical issues.

I know the 1.6 we ran for the Devil last October had issues above 5k RPM with the (high-draw) xenon/HID racing lights on.

Guess you'll be swapping in NA8 alternators for your NA6 versions.

;-)

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I thought they were 60 amps, and I’ve never had reason to suspect that our 1.6 alternator issues were in any way related to load (because it is minimal during the day). Any idea what the actual draw is for your HIDs? Are there any good retrofit LEDs now?

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

So it says "Our system uses around 300 watts or 28 amps maximum when fighting extreme temps in vehicle which we've have tested at just over 120 degrees."

That's a lot more than the 2.5 amps the CoolShirt draws.

Does anyone smarter than me and familiar with the electrical load that we put on our cars care to weigh in...
Can our alternators handle this extra load? I don't know what the ignition, ECU, and full data system already draws.
Says it's drawing the max of 28 amps, would/could there be a negative effect on engine performance in our small HP Miatas?

Everyone knows I am not a wizard when it comes to how a car works ... but in our ChampCar 1.8 miata ... we have had more bad luck with Alternators quitting on us throughout the races, than literally any other failure. I think I remember Buras' team replaced the alternator TWICE at Daytona last year, Ralph Provitz car I think had a problem with it too. Not to mention, a brand new alternator going bad on us, cost us an overall victory at the National championship race at NCM this year and put us behind the wall for 20 min to replace it.

So do with that what you want.

• Camaro67racer likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I thought they were 60 amps, and I’ve never had reason to suspect that our 1.6 alternator issues were in any way related to load (because it is minimal during the day). Any idea what the actual draw is for your HIDs? Are there any good retrofit LEDs now?

They might be, I only remember they were down on total amps from an NA8 is all. And yes, the issues were definitely nighttime related and the total electrical load included not only those HIDs but two data systems (one with two cameras) and comms.

Since those lights were bought (2011/2012 I think) the prices of better LED versions has dropped significantly.

We'll be upgrading to those this season.

Camaro67racer

Camaro67racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Just as a follow up, I asked them: "Understanding that ambient temp can come into play, what is the lowest temp the system can cool down to (or roughly)?"

They responded with a little more info on power draw...

ChillOut said "We limited the minimum temperature to 40 degrees however our prototypes were limited to 30 degrees. We found this caused hypothermia rather quickly and felt that it was a liability. But to give you an idea of how well it performs -

When the ambient temp is 110 degrees with a thermal load of 53 watts (heat created by average human male torso in our testing), the coolant temperature is 55 degrees. Current draw is 15 amps and the power is 174 watts."

Jon Yanca

2003 SM

Former cars:
2010 MX-5 T4

2001 SM

1996 SM

Camaro67racer

Camaro67racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I think I remember Buras' team replaced the alternator TWICE at Daytona last year, Ralph Provitz car I think had a problem with it too.

Luckily, we did not have any alternator issues in our car this year (Ralph's prepped car). At Daytona, the torrential rain got into our fuel and caused us issues. At Sebring, we had a fuel pump connector wiggling loose.

Jon Yanca

2003 SM

Former cars:
2010 MX-5 T4

2001 SM

1996 SM

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

We have lost alternator belts in champ car. one one Nats car and one on mikes car. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

They might be, I only remember they were down on total amps from an NA8 is all. And yes, the issues were definitely nighttime related and the total electrical load included not only those HIDs but two data systems (one with two cameras) and comms.

Since those lights were bought (2011/2012 I think) the prices of better LED versions has dropped significantly.

These days the remans may not all be rated the same as the original either. The Duralast Gold is 60 and the less expensive Duralast standard is rated at 65. Go figure.

Data, cameras and comms together add up to very very little. High efficiency LEDs should drop your load by a lot compared to HID.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Look in to these. 100% quality...you get what you pay for! They fit perfectly into a NA pop up light(your own custom mount of course!). Controls included give you 3 options and dimming...light for days...full tilt is 10,000 lumens per side!! 

This companies products are geared towards motorcycles and motorcycle safety but the dozens of products can be universally adapted. The owner is a former SM driver and been a huge help to my endurance efforts. I have 3 different versions of his products on 3 different cars...never one complaint from a driver. Great company!

https://www.clearwat...l-led-light-kit

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users