Photo

SCCA season opener report and videos!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Boy what a weekend! Lots of good racing, old friends, plus new ones. And my first SM win! And then huge cheering, big smiles, and hand shakes. Until Sunday, when I noticed this big target on my back. :) Many thanks to all my friends that cheered me on, helped me out, and raced with me, both this weekend and in the last seven (!!!) years.

At any rate, my Saturday race:

http://www.artofroadracing.com/AoRR/Blog/Entries/2011/4/12_Juan_%40_Thunderhill_-_1st!.html

I suspected a good result when I won practice on Friday. Then Qualified on SMT pole. But for the race my tires were past their peak, and my car was pushing, so I was way off pace. But a bit of luck, a timely checker flag, and some OK driving brought home my first SM win. Good thing the checker came when it did, because another lap, and I would have been off the podium! Sorry for the short video. Maybe someone else that saw it from the tower can fill in the missing parts.

Enjoy!
-Juan

Please add your videos to this thread too!

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Great job Juan!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
congrats Juan!!!

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:94
Juan won one? Juan won one!! I was wondering if Juan would win one! Juanderful!

Congats!! :)
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990
Congrats Juan!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TORacing

TORacing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Northern California
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10
Great Job! May there be many more!

I will say that my data told a different story on shifting to 4th then back to 3rd going from 2 to 3 though...just my 2 cents...food for thought.

All the best,

Tommy O

Phillip Holifield

Phillip Holifield

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Car Number:20
Congrats!! You were number Juan!!

Here is my video from Sunday. Pretty uneventful race for me but I didn't mind.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Congratulations to Juan, Phillip and Doug on the wins.

I would like to thank Martin and Dan Cooper, Ron and Kyle Gayman for the hospitality and coaching support.

My weekend was up and down fighting a car that I just couldn't get right. But all the people willing to help and add input made it all come together in the end. I can't wait until my next opportunity to drive.

Best thing was getting my Novice book signed off, and bringing the car home without a scratch.Posted Image

See you all at Laguna.

Duane "Dewey" Polsley

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
I'd like to take even a smidgen of credit for the BBQ sat night, but I cant. I didn't even put the BBQ in the truck. Thanks Ron for cooking, delicious just as expected!!!

It was a fun little gathering, let's maybe make it a normal thing? One night a weekend we BBQ at the track? maybe we can rotate camps? Just thoughts...

Here's a link to the video from Sundays race...

http://www.vimeo.com/22367156
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Greg Cicatelli

Greg Cicatelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Number:96
Great time indeed. Congrats to Juan, Phillip and Doug for the wins. I was chasing as hard as possible, but happy with podiums. Thanks to the Coopers for hosting a fun party and chef Ron for all the cooking. Look forward to seeing everyone at Lagana.

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Thx for all the congrats! Actually my points lead was short lived. The way it worked out, we have a three way tie between Greg, Philip and I! Blame it on Dan that stole my 4th place spot in the Sunday race! :)

Congrats to Philip on his great Sunday drive. His times were smokin'.

Thanks Philip and Dan for posting your videos! I love seeing what happened around me. Great drives, both. I'm gonna study them. Hope others post here too.

My Sunday race was a lot of fun. I'll start editing it so I can post. I had forgotten the exchanges with Dan. I do remember that Dion and I had an awesome 6 turn battle.

BBQ was perfect. Thanks everyone that organized. I agree, let's make it a regular thing. Fun times!

-Juan

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
As I posted in the other thread...great weekend and congrats to all! I'm always game for cooking and cocktails! Thanks for the props guys...always my pleasure! As much as I anticipate each race and love watching...it is nerve racking, as Martin will also tell you :blink: So the evening event is a must and I think Dans idea is a great one!

Here is video of Kyle's Sat. race...the whole thing if you can stand it! The new diff and the 1.8 rev limiter don't like each other :o But at least check out the save around the 24:30 mark :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

I will say that my data told a different story on shifting to 4th then back to 3rd going from 2 to 3 though...just my 2 cents...food for thought.

It's also a lot nicer to the drivetrain on your brand new motor. :)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Doug Makishima

Doug Makishima

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:52
Thanks for the props! It was a great weekend of clean and fun racing.

Congrats to Juan and Philip on their 1st SMT wins, and to Tam for his dual ITS wins in his '99 Miata.

Here is video of my 2:07.158 SSM track record lap during the #2 Sunday Grp 7 race.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hey Doug,

Nice lap. And even better considering it was the restart without any drafting help. Congrats on the sweep of the front spots all weekend!

-Juan

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Kyle,

Fun drive, quick hands! Lots of stuff happening in your part of the field at the start. Good job picking up 4 spots! How did the Sunday race turn out? I think you started further forward?

Man all this SM video. I haven't even watched F1 yet! :) SM is more fun.

-Juan

Kyle Gayman

Kyle Gayman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Number:40

Kyle,

Fun drive, quick hands! Lots of stuff happening in your part of the field at the start. Good job picking up 4 spots! How did the Sunday race turn out? I think you started further forward?

-Juan

Hey Juan!

Yes, the start was hectic as usual, but clean, and a lot of us were packed together for a while. On Sunday I qualified 9th, but finished 14th after a poor start and a poor first lap. Nevertheless, it was a great race.

Congratulations to you, Phillip, and Doug for the wins!

Kyle

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Thanks for the props! It was a great weekend of clean and fun racing.

Congrats to Juan and Philip on their 1st SMT wins, and to Tam for his dual ITS wins in his '99 Miata.

Here is video of my 2:07.158 SSM track record lap during the #2 Sunday Grp 7 race.

Nice clean lap. You make it look easy. :)

Greg Cicatelli

Greg Cicatelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Number:96
Here is my footage from Group 7 Race 1. Good stuff at the end chasing Vodden and Juan. Nice job on the SSM record, Doug.

Still playing with some new editing software so left me know of any issues or with the link.

Cheers,
Greg

http://www.vimeo.com/22471126

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Hey Juan!

Yes, the start was hectic as usual, but clean, and a lot of us were packed together for a while. On Sunday I qualified 9th, but finished 14th after a poor start and a poor first lap. Nevertheless, it was a great race.

Congratulations to you, Phillip, and Doug for the wins!

Kyle

Kyle,

Awesome vid. Lots of good racing and very clean passes and great car control when the car got loose. Looked like the tires were slippery all race.

Gotta get those belts tight though. :)

Alberto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users