Photo

VVT Chin Spoiler Interest

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: VVT Chin Spoiler (11 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your level of interest in the VVT chin spoiler?

1. I would order 5+ as part of the initial order (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. I would order 2-4 as part of the initial order (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I would order 1 as part of the initial order (7 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

4. I'm interested, but not right now (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:44

Nick Leverone and I are considering having a mold made to produce some fiberglass versions of the NB2 (VVT) air dam (NO67-V4-900G) and are looking to see what level of interest there is out there for these.  We aren't going to do it unless we can make the numbers work.  Pricing would likely be $400 to $500 per unit depending on how many we go make in the initial batch.  

GCR 9.1.7.6.c:  The “R” package Miata chin spoiler is allowed on 1990-1997 cars provided it is mounted in the OEM location. 1999-up cars may use the OEM chin spoiler for these cars (99-00 p/n: NC10-V4-900F or 01-05 p/n: NO67-V4-900G). Aftermarket chin spoilers may be used but must use the same mounting holes, must have the same dimensions and must perform only the same functions as the OEM chin spoiler. Any material may be used.

1470d1314464613-will-front-lip-spoiler-f

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Tyler someone made those for Mazda, I ordered them from MS about 3 or 4  years ago knowing they would sell out. You ought to see if they can tell you who the contractor was that they contracted with for the OEM unit. Maybe they have it tooled up and just need an order. Maybe.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region
Chairman, SCCA Great Lakes Divisional Series Committee.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Tyler someone made those for Mazda, I ordered them from MS about 3 or 4  years ago knowing they would sell out. You ought to see if they can tell you who the contractor was that they contracted with for the OEM unit. Maybe they have it tooled up and just need an order. Maybe.

Will do some digging - thanks Frank.

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:70
Fiberglass probably not a good idea for spec miata. If you can mold fiberglass, you should be able to figure out urethane. You can build your 2 piece urethane mold with the money you save from not buying the glass chopper gun :) Or even vacuum or thermoformed ABS would work. Good luck.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Not what you ask but fyi

https://www.ebay.com...&frcectupt=true

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Fiberglass probably not a good idea for spec miata. If you can mold fiberglass, you should be able to figure out urethane. You can build your 2 piece urethane mold with the money you save from not buying the glass chopper gun :) Or even vacuum or thermoformed ABS would work. Good luck.

I have no intention of buying a chop gun or doing any of this myself.  Nick has a shop that builds all of the air dams he and sells for STL cars.  They will create the mold and handle production.  Nice part about glass is that it can be easily repaired as opposed the the factory ones.     

Not what you ask but fyi

https://www.ebay.com...&frcectupt=true

J~

Sold!!  Even the right paint code for the #44.  

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Just askin here because I don't know...

I've seen some with and without at the Runoffs (NB1 -2)

I know you can reach the top step.

You've done the testing/setup and you can't do without?

Track dependent?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Track dependent?

J~

Honestly, I think it just comes down to aesthetics.  

• Danny Steyn, tylerbrown and av8tor like this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,198 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Track dependent?

J~

rumors are it was tested in wind tunnel before daytona runoffs and it was slightly better with it than without it.  Supposedly a near wash which is about what I would expect

• Blake Clements and Danny Steyn like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Number:14

But it looks SOOOO good with it!!  ...............Now you've got me trolling Ebay for one!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
What does it weigh?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

rumors are it was tested in wind tunnel before daytona runoffs and it was slightly better with it than without it.  Supposedly a near wash which is about what I would expect

Supposedly.......  

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

These are Spec Miatas we are talking about, anything less than carbon fiber doesn't offer enough performance.

• av8tor likes this

http://jenkinsracing.com

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

Please delete the fog light openings if it makes it to production.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Please delete the fog light openings if it makes it to production.

I should think that would make them non-compliant.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I should think that would make them non-compliant.

I'm not sure about that. Doesn't the GCR say you can cover the fog light openings with tape if the fog lights are removed?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,300 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990

I'm not sure about that. Doesn't the GCR say you can cover the fog light openings with tape if the fog lights are removed?

c. The “R” package Miata chin spoiler is allowed on 1990-1997 cars provided it is mounted in the
OEM location. 1999-up cars may use the OEM chin spoiler for these cars (99-00 p/n: NC10-V4-
900F or 01-05 p/n: NO67-V4-900G). Aftermarket chin spoilers may be used but must use the
same mounting holes, must have the same dimensions and must perform only the same functions
as the OEM chin spoiler.
Any material may be used.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
k.  Fog lamps may be removed. If fog lamps are removed, lamp openings in the front fascia must be 
blocked to not allow air flow through the opening. Any means of blocking air flow shall not serve 
any other purpose.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,198 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Imo, while it is silly.. and I would prefer fog light be omitted. I feel that would make the spoiler non compliant

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,300 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990

k.  Fog lamps may be removed. If fog lamps are removed, lamp openings in the front fascia must be 
blocked to not allow air flow through the opening. Any means of blocking air flow shall not serve 
any other purpose.

You make no point anyhow. You want your rules, send your letter. crbscca.com

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users