• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I’m starting to hear about leaky shocks. Can anyone confirm? How common is this? Just a little seeping at the top or rapid failure?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
If installed improperly they are very sensitive to shaft damage. Scratching or etching the shaft will lead to leak. I have not seen or heard of any other failures at 3 HST events.
  • William Keeling likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I’m starting to hear about leaky shocks. Can anyone confirm? How common is this? Just a little seeping at the top or rapid failure?

havent seen any leaking yet

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

I had one rear fail but like Ross said is was installed improperly (before the note was published).

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I had one rear fail but like Ross said is was installed improperly (before the note was published).

Which note?

I saw the one about the torquing of the shaft nut (only like 30# max) but was there another I might have missed?

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I'm also curious about this note...

How would you torque the shaft nut without the shaft spinning and also not scratching it. I ended up holding the impact socket with my hand to engage the hammering action to get the nut down to the nylon.

http://jenkinsracing.com

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

i always learned to hold the shock shaft in your hand, and then impact it. should provide enough friction to get the impact hits. 

• av8tor likes this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I’ve always used a split piece of ~1” rubber hose and a pair of pliers, then wipe the shaft clean. Takes small hands to reach in there and hold it even if that were enough.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

I use a piece of scrap serpentine belt, as the ribs give a higher point load to grip the shaft.

• Jim Drago and av8tor like this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

By using the method they suggested of holding the shaft with your had and using gun to tighten the nylon nut, lets say it turns over 2 or 3 times. that should not be enough to damage the shock, and if it is, then they need to redesign it as they will take much more abuse on the track.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

Which note?

I saw the one about the torquing of the shaft nut (only like 30# max) but was there another I might have missed?

Penske put out  a note that said hold shaft by hand only and use impact on the nyloc nut

William Keeling

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Somewhere in here, there might be the elements of a funny joke about properly holding a shaft, rubbers, ribs and screwing around with nuts....   :tipsy:

• callumhay likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Somewhere in here, there might be the elements of a funny joke about properly holding a shaft, rubbers, ribs and screwing around with nuts.... :tipsy:

Nah, we’re all far too mature.

macdojoh

macdojoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Mine after a couple of race weekends and 2-3 track days are now a little seepy. As their is some oil on the top of the shock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users