Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
The CRB is aware of the concerns of Spec Miata owners about availability of the Toyo Proxes RA1 tires that are required for National racing. Due to conditions at their Japanese production facilities, Toyo is unable to tell us when these tires will be back in production and readily available in the United States. As a result, the CRB will make a decision about Spec Miata tires as more information is available. If there is not an adequate supply of RA1s, there will be a TEMPORARY change of the specification to permit the use of the Toyo Proxes R888s in addition to the RA1s. Toyo reports that there is a sufficient supply of the R888s. However, only ONE tire will be permitted at the Runoffs. If an adequate supply of the RA1s is not available before the Runoffs, then ONLY the R888s would be permitted. For now, the RA1 remains the required tire.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Appreciate the update. While not an ideal situation, going back to the 888 temporarily is not a bad option IMO. There is familiarity with the tire and after a full season of using 888's that tire didn't seem as troublesome as it did initially.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Indiana rarely sees tsunamis. Jus say'in. ;)
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04

However, only ONE tire will be permitted at the Runoffs. If an adequate supply of the RA1s is not available before the Runoffs, then ONLY the R888s would be permitted.

So all the teams that scrambled to find RA1s after it appeared they would be in short supply, would be penalized by having to buy even more tires?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
The discussion centered around making the best out of a bad situation. Changing manufacturers in the middle of the season just wouldn't work. The racers in the SE division, for example, have already run most of their races. They would have to do expensive testing to adjust for a brand new tire. Almost everyone has run the 888 and there shouldn't be too much trouble moving back to that tire, if the RA1 supply dries up. At any rate, we hope the RA1 is available and this will all become unnecessary, but that's out of our hands.

wheel

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So all the teams that scrambled to find RA1s after it appeared they would be in short supply, would be penalized by having to buy even more tires?

The statement and decision was made trying to consider all factors, hoarding of tires was a concern and something we wanted to prevent.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
So, yes, if somebody attempted to hoard the RA1 tires, they may end up having to buy some 888s in the future. No advantage to anyone.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:79
Lets try to keep the RA1's, those tires will last a long time, some will just have to get by without putting on two new sets on a race day. :D

That R88 sucks on a 1.6 car.

Lets go to Hoosiers if we are forced to make a change

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:97
After what the people of Japan have gone through I have no problem running the 888 for the rest of the year if needed. I don't like the 888 but in the end it would not be the end of the world if my Spec Miata had tires I didn't like while I spent my day racing around with friends and drinking beer. Hell, they can't even feed themselves so I think our problems are very small!!
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Well said High Chair. SM is fortunate as it's a 15" tire. I understand the 18" R888s are going and almost gone. The American Iron guys had to change manufacturers. Looks like they are making an agreement to use the Hoosier R-6. I wonder how difficult it would be to tool the Toyo plant in GA to make race tires.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I wonder how difficult it would be to tool the Toyo plant in GA to make race tires.

It’s probably not quick and easy. They’d need the floor space, the tooling set up and calibrated, sort out the supply chain logistics, people to work the machines…enough tricky details that niche market tires probably aren’t their #1 priority right now.

A number of companies are finding out that their lean production systems might be highly efficient when everything is running smoothly, run into some serious issues when the defecation hits the oscillation.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

Lets try to keep the RA1's, those tires will last a long time, some will just have to get by without putting on two new sets on a race day. :D

That R88 sucks on a 1.6 car.

Lets go to Hoosiers if we are forced to make a change

the R888 was the spec tire when i raced my spec 944 in AZ. those things were good for the 1st/2nd session, then they dropped off a lot on grip and sucked for the rest of their existance.

I bet they have lots of the 888 still in inventory, they stink, and IMO, nobody would buy them if given a choice of something else.
I have heard great things about the hoosier SM6, but have never used them myself.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:34
Yea for 888's!

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

The statement and decision was made trying to consider all factors, hoarding of tires was a concern and something we wanted to prevent.
Jim

Jim any discussion about the Nitto NT-01. i am told its made of the same compound as the RA-1 just a different tread pattern. Don't know if that is true. I have Ran the NT-01 can't say head to head comparison but it was not as bad as the 888.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I understand the 18" R888s are going and almost gone. The American Iron guys had to change manufacturers. Looks like they are making an agreement to use the Hoosier R-6.

Bet that's just breaking thier hearts (NOT)
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year