28 replies to this topic

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Racecar Engineering Vol 9 (Year: 1999) No 4 - Ortiz on Dynamic Load Transfer

Page 44: "The basic rule is that the stiffer end gets the greater load transfer. Load transfer at the softer end is correspondingly reduced. This increases cornering power at the softer end and reduces cornering power at the stiffer end."

Page 48: "If we have a tight-on-slick condition, we can improve the car by creating a setup that produces less wedge when cornering forces are modest, with a greater wedge gain as cornering force increases. To obtain this, we would decrease static wedge, and make overall roll resistance distribution more front-stiff.

For a loose-on-slick car, we would do the opposite: more static wedge, with a more rear-stiff roll distribution"

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Nathan Pring

Nathan Pring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:85

Racecar Engineering Vol 9 (Year: 1999) No 4 - Ortiz on Dynamic Load Transfer

Page 44: "The basic rule is that the stiffer end gets the greater load transfer. Load transfer at the softer end is correspondingly reduced. This increases cornering power at the softer end and reduces cornering power at the stiffer end."

Page 48: "If we have a tight-on-slick condition, we can improve the car by creating a setup that produces less wedge when cornering forces are modest, with a greater wedge gain as cornering force increases. To obtain this, we would decrease static wedge, and make overall roll resistance distribution more front-stiff.

For a loose-on-slick car, we would do the opposite: more static wedge, with a more rear-stiff roll distribution"

Great info Saul, can you tell me how that translates to adjustments in a Miata for the noobs like me?

2019 SeDIV SMSE Champion

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

at least MO is not slick in the rain :)

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48

What is tight on slick and loose on slick 

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

What is tight on slick and loose on slick

My interpretation has been, "the car is tight/loose in low grip conditions" but the opposite handling condition in high-grip conditions.  The idea being to set the static wedge for the rain, and tune the car with the bars to add/remove dynamic wedge (more roll = more bar (de)wedge) for the higher grip conditions. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I confess, I’m struggling with the idea that everything is reversed when wet/slick. It is common to slow down weight transfer by disconnecting the bars but it has always been my belief and experience that if only the rear were dropped then the car would be more inclined to push in the wet, which many people prefer over being loose. But the above seems to state just the opposite, although in combination with altering static wedge. We don’t generally run all that much wedge anyway and I’ve never changed it specifically for wet conditions. Is Mr. Ortiz talking more about oval track cars? I’ve been learning just a little about their suspensions and the multitude of adjustments that need to be mastered and tweaked during a weekend. Yikes!
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Tight you go head first into the barriers, loose you back it in.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Tight you go head first into the barriers, loose you back it in.

Yes of course, but what question are you answering? From JRHille? I think Tom covered that, which was more about “slick” in conjunction with tight/loose.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

I confess, I’m struggling with the idea that everything is reversed when wet/slick.

Yes, I agree. But maybe it's better to think in terms of difference. It doesn't really have to be reversed so much as less loose or more tight in different grip situations. In that case, perhaps with less weight transfer (and total load) and suspension compression there is a change in handling as a result of less camber gain on one end or the other.

Also, the rain line is often more sharp following the typical inside the dry line entry, cross over, turn sharp, cross over type of line. I suppose that could result in a different handling dynamic versus the typical dry line.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I’m not really following that first part Tom. He SEEMS to be very clear that wet/slick is opposite of dry with respect to front/rear roll stiffness. And I don’t think the wet line factors into his assessment at all.

As for weight transfer, it’s less mostly because speeds and loads are less, but it is slower because roll stiffness is decreased. Is that not correct? In fact, thanks to the less abrupt transfer of weight you may achieve higher sustained lateral Gs in the wet with the bars off, which means you actually end up with greater ultimate weight transfer than with them attached (because you go faster). Am I mistaken on any of that?

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Personally we/I, do not adjust for rain, it might just dry up and we/I would prefer to be back to what we/I know in the dry, so we/I race the rain with the dry setup. But of course YMMV, just sayin in  case anyone is interested

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Good luck to all at MO - wish we could have been there to join in the fun, but have to earn some $$$ to fund this very addictive habit!!!!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Saul you could get a job as a meteorologist in St Louis. ;)

Congratulations to Jim on a double!

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Way to go Jim on the two wins this weekend...   Looks like the old guys rule in 2019!!!!!

• Jim Drago and FTodaro like this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
The young guys are all at Gingerman with Gridlife.
  • Brian Tone likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Why is provisional shown for Sunday???

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Why is provisional shown for Sunday???

Was some passing under yellow reported, no sure if they took any action or not. It was not for 1-2, it was 3-6 I believe

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Now that were assured, great job for a guy who hates Mud Ohio (or does it hate you) and to the other's who didn't beat the yellow flag. 

• Jim Drago and lillyweld like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

There was a protest for leaving racing room on Saturday as well, but was not deemed well founded. 

There was a lot of Metal to metal this weekend. Nothing really serious but high amount of it. All seemed to be "Leaning" Or "you get 1 car and a inch" or "it was my turn" or "defending" 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

There was a protest for leaving racing room on Saturday as well, but was not deemed well founded. 

There was a lot of Metal to metal this weekend. Nothing really serious but high amount of it. All seemed to be "Leaning" Or "you get 1 car and a inch" or "it was my turn" or "defending" 

The more and more I attend SCCA and NASA events...the more I appreciate the current level of oversight that occurs in my region with NASA. I had 2 customers this weekend at our SCCA regional at Laguna Seca. So I watched every SM and group 5(alphabet soup)race. The amount of contact was staggering...at least a dozen cars(34 entries I think) with significant damage...75% were avoidable/idiotic driving. The few that were self induced learned there own lessons I'm sure. Sometimes we(SM group) just have bad weekends...the problem local is this has happened EVERY weekend. NOBODY in SCCA oversee's this large group or has any knowledge of the same guys who are constantly creating problems! Then its he said she said with half the drivers not running video..."racing incident" does no one any favors!

• Mark likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users