- - - - - Brakes Hydraulics

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

RacerDad

RacerDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The R/F brake caliper is binding but not enough to cause any noticeable pull or to overheat the rotors.  The other three wheels spin with normal friction.  To diagnose the problem I have completed the following:

1. Replace the R/F caliper with a new unit.  This did not make a change and the old caliper was new this season.

2. Replaced the front rotors.  I did this as part of routine maintenance as the rotors were starting to crack (4 weekends).

3. Replace all the braided steel brake lines with a new kit.  It didn't make sense to change just one.  Before installing the lines, I loosened the bleed screw on the R/F caliper and the wheel spun a little easier.  After installing new lines and doing a full bleed of the brake system, the R/F caliper was still binding.

4. If I back off the brake caliper piston, the wheel spins freely

At this point, I am leaning towards replacing the proportioning valve (or Valve, Dual; Part #: NC10-43-900A). The master cylinder has one line connected directly to the L/F caliper.  The other lines go through this valve.  As the other three wheels are not having this issue, I am assuming the valve is the cause.

Am I on the right track?

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Do you run the brake hardware? the slides and springs? I and many others due,  but some will come on here and say they don't like to. I am not going to debate that just try the springs if your not running them. You can also check the clearance on the brake pad your running and grind or file them down to be sure they have good clearance. I am thinking the proportion valve would not be the issue but i would focus on that brake caliper first. When you replaced the Caliper I assume you replaced the bracket with it? if not you need to change that out also.

• Alberto and Armando Ramirez like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
I'm no expert but have a couple of suggestions in addition to what Frank said.

Try removing the clips that are used as spacers between the caliper bracket and the tabs on the pad. The pads will still stay in there, it's just they have a small bit of clearance. Run the springs.

Try or continue using the backing pad against the pad

Lube and clean the sliders frequently ( I'm assuming u have changed and they are not bent). As Frank said, did u change Caliper? And I guess it's possible the spindle could be an issue if that while assembly was bent..Any hits that the car took to the RF?

Let us know if you figure it out. The prop valve could be the issue but I would double check everything else before going there.

Cal

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Cal, like Frank I don’t want to rehash the old debate about brake hardware but eliminating the spacers at each end of the pads is a bad idea and only increases the risk that a pad gets misaligned or drags. I also wouldn’t run the backing plates, particularly with new pads.

I’m not ruling out the proportioning valve but it really just sounds like a tiny bit of piston drag when static. You call it binding, but to what degree exactly? If anything the prop valve, just by being in the circuit, may not allow that side to pull back slightly as pedal pressure is released. I’m not standing there fiddling with it but from what you describe it sounds perfectly normal. There is no real force pulling them back after all, but in the real-world just the spinning rotor of the car in motion would knock the piston back the 1mm you’re looking for.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
BTW, how did pad wear look on that side vs the other?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

RacerDad

RacerDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for the responses.

When I replaced the caliper, I replaced the bracket as well.  I greased the two slide pins even though they are brand new.

I do not run the shims, hardware, or springs.  Due to this, the pads fit loosely in the bracket  The brake pads are worn about 50% with only slight taper.  The pads on the L/F have more taper.

I do not believe the spindle is bent.  The car alignment is spot on and there are no abnormal vibrations.  Backing the piston off just slightly allows the wheel to spin freely.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

This is not the first I've heard/viewed of the R.F. having some drag. To test out without the proportioning valve, plumb around so line travels directly to the R.F. line. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Cal, like Frank I don’t want to rehash the old debate about brake hardware but eliminating the spacers at each end of the pads is a bad idea and only increases the risk that a pad gets misaligned or drags. I also wouldn’t run the backing plates, particularly with new pads.

I’m not ruling out the proportioning valve but it really just sounds like a tiny bit of piston drag when static. You call it binding, but to what degree exactly? If anything the prop valve, just by being in the circuit, may not allow that side to pull back slightly as pedal pressure is released. I’m not standing there fiddling with it but from what you describe it sounds perfectly normal. There is no real force pulling them back after all, but in the real-world just the spinning rotor of the car in motion would knock the piston back the 1mm you’re looking for.

I'm with steve.  I have a slight amount of drag on the RF, also...when sitting still on jackstands after pressing and releasing the brake pedal.  On the LF, if I spin the tire I'll get 10ish revolutions before the tire comes to a stop.  On the RF, more like 3-4.  I went round and round on it back in 2009-10 or so.  Like you, I swapped everything except the prop-valve (master, calipers, bleed and rebleed, etc).  I rebuilt the calipers with new seals, polished the pistons and bore surfaces, everything to ensure the calipers could retract when pressure was released.  Nothing ever made a difference. 

I think I posted about it on here, and Saul pointed out that road-vibration -> pad knock-back would overcome the difference in pull-back in any real-world scenario.  I did a road test, since I have reasonably rough roads around my house.  I only used the e-brake to slow the car coming home.  I put the car up on stands and tested the "drag".  All gone---LF/RF tires both spun the 10ish revs. 

Also, as Steve noted...if there were any apprciable drag, you'd see it in the pad wear...replacing the RF pads more often than the LF. I admit that 10 years later it still nags at me, and I keep tabs on the LF/RF pad wear. I've even go so far as to measure pad thickness (with a micrometer, at 3 points...looking for taper) before/after each race weekend.  I was able to note a sticking caliper pin with this data, but nothing to infer that the RF was wearing overall any faster than the LF. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999

Well, the question is a nagging one because there is probably an answer.... I went and took a look at the car (1999) and the shop manual.  Firstly in the shop manual they show a bunch of pressure gauges on the prop valve and whatever else with SST numbers (that we know won't be available or cost a s##t ton to get)….I gave up after 5 minutes on reading that

but seriously, if you look at the routing of the brake hard lines, the LF comes right out of the front of the master cyl. The RF comes out of the prop valve and is much longer with a run taking it over the edge of the trans tunnel. It is not inconceivable that an issue in the prop valve (or damage to the line, say during engine install) could give an issue on the RF. Begs the question as to whether this issue is a "normal" miata issue, uncovered by observant racers or the sign of a failure in the prop valve. I for sure have no idea how the thing works. 

I googled proportioning valve issues in miatas and there is not much out there unless you want to replace them with the aftermarket ones....which we know everyone (except the SMMD guys) are not doing. (OK sorry if I offended the SMMD guys)

If you are going to replace the prop valve. presumably get a non ABS one? or is there a difference? I'm just asking questions and is there a difference between valves in ABS vs Non ABS

I'm pretty sure someone out there can explain how the thing works ..and I would like to know ...well just because. 

If you do find out what the issue is, again let us know. 

Steve, yeah I hear you on the little metal things that support the pads, I was just wondering if removing them and running a test with the car might make a difference in terms of trying to isolate the problem. But with what Tom says, it may come down to the way these cars are on the RF...for non racing purposes not a huge issue ...but for those of us who want answers it is going to churn in our minds...

Cal

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

i think I would take a very high quality straight edge and go from one of the mounting surfaces of the caliper braket to the other and make sure one of those is not tweeked or twisted or something, I have seen that before looks good to the naked eye but its off.

• lillyweld likes this

K. Webb