30 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Anyone able to share ('cus I'm sure some know) what today's call is about?  If you don't know what I'm referring to, Mazda Motorsports sent out an email saying they are making some announcement about club racing at 1pm ET.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I'm no longer in the know.....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

It's about the Spec MX5 program.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

So, basically an expansion of it beyond its limited series now?  Is this SM v.2.0?

tjohn67

tjohn67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67

Sure sounds like it to me!

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

werent they already trying to subsidize the creation of this class? what more can they do? 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40

https://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/mazda-motorsports-announces-spec-mx-5/

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I don't like Pagid brakes, they are required.  Brake pads are personal and should not be Spec!

Required interior bulkhead panel has nothing to do with "spec" I can build a much nicer one than anything they are selling, again should not be required

$1246 radiator /oil cooler 350 in lines  I am confident I can build a better radiator there as well for far less

Act clutch that shifts like my duallie, I greatly dislike ACT clutches

lite hit to the front 15-20 mph .. is 2500 in parts for front bumper lights and radiator. 

Not a fan of all above

• Camaro67racer and Steve Scheifler like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Isn't the point of a spec series is that everyone is in identical equipment - not "blueprinted" specials?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Isn't the point of a spec series is that everyone is in identical equipment - not "blueprinted" specials?

didn't realize brake parts were blueprinted ;) 

Weird that we are specing  the brake pads, but not the bottom ends? Gains will be made there within the rules  so you might go blow your trumpet over there in that parade :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Camaro67racer

Camaro67racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:20

lite hit to the front 15-20 mph .. is 2500 in parts for front bumper lights and radiator. 

This is what a lot of people aren't going to be happy about. You and I both know that you can't bump draft in these cars and even trying one bump or having a light tap is going to cost big $$. Everything on the front end of the NC is fragile and costs a lot of money. NA/NBs can take so much more.

I'm really curious as to what run group they want to put these cars in. If it's in the SM group, they have shot themselves in the foot. I will sell my SM and be out. It's already aggravating enough to run a test day with NC drivers that can't even run an SM lap time, yet can put their foot down and pull you on the straights.

• tylerbrown likes this

Jon Yanca

2003 SM

Former cars:
2010 MX-5 T4

2001 SM

1996 SM

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Weird that we are specing  the brake pads, but not the bottom ends

Yep - I think it's a screw-up to not require the "turnkey" engine, which should be sealed.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

This is what a lot of people aren't going to be happy about. You and I both know that you can't bump draft in these cars and even trying one bump or having a light tap is going to cost big $$. Everything on the front end of the NC is fragile and costs a lot of money. NA/NBs can take so much more.

I'm really curious as to what run group they want to put these cars in. If it's in the SM group, they have shot themselves in the foot. I will sell my SM and be out. It's already aggravating enough to run a test day with NC drivers that can't even run an SM lap time, yet can put their foot down and pull you on the straights.

Being classed at STL, so I assume in that group unless their numbers support something else.. Although it looks like maybe it is being catered to Nasa with spec Toyo tires. No telling what they will do. Hearing they were running 2:09 at vir which is a solid 5-6 seconds a lap faster than SM 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Seems pretty cool.  

Odd that they didn't list the SCCA class...  NASA was listed as ST5

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Camaro67racer

Camaro67racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:20

With the fact that you have to run the Roush head or a complete Mazda motor, this would have been way more appealing if they would have developed a 2.5L for this car. Racers always want to go faster, so now you would have actually given them a big differentiator over SM.

Jon Yanca

2003 SM

Former cars:
2010 MX-5 T4

2001 SM

1996 SM

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Looks like a fun car with very good performance.   From an SCCA standpoint it may have been beneficial to only classify this car in an existing class to help build STL or T3 all of which need more entries.  On the other hand the net gain of entries may be more with this car having its own class. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Being classed at STL, so I assume in that group unless their numbers support something else.. Although it looks like maybe it is being catered to Nasa with spec Toyo tires. No telling what they will do. Hearing they were running 2:09 at vir which is a solid 5-6 seconds a lap faster than SM 

Earlier this year at VIR, the fastest time I turned in qualifying in my full STL MX-5 was a 2:09.05, and in the races I had best times of 2:09.4 and 2:09.7. Remember the HST was in much cooler conditions running on Hoosier A7's.

That day we ran 2:16.9 in SM which is inline with my experience of my STL car being around 5-1/2% faster than my SM at tracks with more than one 5th gear straight.

Carbonnel's time this past weekend in the Spec MX-5 was run in VERY hot conditions, 95F and 75% rel Humidity. I believe he was on Toyo RR's but cannot confirm. Also no idea of trim

And there was sealer down in a few turns that definitely improved grip

That being said, it looks like this car should be able to run very near the front of STL

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Earlier this year at VIR, the fastest time I turned in qualifying in my full STL MX-5 was a 2:09.05, and in the races I had best times of 2:09.4 and 2:09.7. Remember the HST was in much cooler conditions running on Hoosier A7's.

That day we ran 2:16.9 in SM which is inline with my experience of my STL car being around 5-1/2% faster than my SM at tracks with more than one 5th gear straight.

Carbonnel's time this past weekend in the Spec MX-5 was run in VERY hot conditions, 95F and 75% rel Humidity. I believe he was on Toyo RR's but cannot confirm. Also no idea of trim

And there was sealer down in a few turns that definitely improved grip

That being said, it looks like this car should be able to run very near the front of STL

curious is if will be brought in full spec with Toyo tires.. I cant see SCCA doing that. Especially in a class like STL

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Looks like a fun car with very good performance. From an SCCA standpoint it may have been beneficial to only classify this car in an existing class to help build STL or T3 all of which need more entries. On the other hand the net gain of entries may be more with this car having its own class.

And by all means, SCCA needs another class! :)
  • Jim Drago and tylerbrown like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Similar numbers to what I crunched - good quality build with data and 2 sets extra wheels/tires is in the $45k range

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users