EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999

https://insidemazda....da-motorsports/

November 11, 2019

IRVINE, Calif. (November 11, 2019) – Mazda North American Operations announced today that motorsports industry veteran Nelson Cosgrove has been named as Director of Mazda Motorsports.

A lifelong motorsports fan, who initially was introduced to motorsports in his teens by watching Forumla 1 on Canadian TV from his living room in Buffalo, NY, Cosgrove continued following his passion into college where he built a race car as part of the Michigan State University Formula SAE program. From there, his motorsports career took off with positions at Ford, Penske, Joe Gibbs Racing and most recently at Toyota Racing Development.

Cosgrove will be responsible for the operational side of Mazda’s racing activities in North America. This includes the highly successful Mazda Team Joest in the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship, the recently announced Mazda3 TCR project in the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge and the Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup. Another key component will be spearheading Mazda Motorsports’ strong grassroots initiatives as Mazda is the most-raced brand in America with 55% production car market share in the SCCA.

“I’m honored and excited to start this new role with Mazda,” said Cosgrove. “Mazda has a storied history in motorsports and a strong presence with IMSA, MX-5 Cup and grassroots programs. The brand had a lot of success in 2019, highlighted by the Mazda Team Joest three-race win streak, and I’m very much looking forward to beginning my work with the Mazda Motorsports team and preparing for the 2020 racing season.”

Cosgrove will report to Masahiro Moro, Chairman and CEO of Mazda North American Operations.

“We are committed to continuing to build upon Mazda’s position in North American motorsports,” said Moro. “Nelson is the right person to steer Mazda Motorsports, as he brings a tremendous amount of engineering and motorsports experience that will enhance the work being done by the Mazda Motorsports team, as well as all of the technical partners across all our programs.

• screaming monkey likes this

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

He's from Buffalo.  He'll do a fantastic job.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ben-AdvancedAutosports

Ben-AdvancedAutosports

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Chicago

I think this was a good move.

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999

From Autoweek: 

https://autoweek.com...moro-assures-us

Masahiro Moro

For our motorsports strategy in North America, to me, the most important area is grassroots. We continue to strive for making grassroots bigger for our fans. Our MX-5 Cup was a very good success; then there's spec Miata and now we are going to TCR with the Mazda 3. I need someone really familiar with motorsports in the USA. I picked someone that really understands how the program works. Thinking about IMSA, being familiar with that sanctioning body. Nelson is one of the best guys I've ever found. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users