Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

New owners, new pavement, new configuration from T5 through old-T6 (now T10).  Entire track has all new pavement, and new curbing.  T1-T5, and old-T7 thru old-T11 are the same configuration.  Old-T6 has been reconfigured into T6-T10, which they are calling the Italian Canyon.  

Here's a link to the turn-by-turn:

https://files.consta...a66895ea5e8.pdf

I put the new Italian Canyon (T6-T10) into a path profiler (using digital Terrain data). According to that profile, the track climbs 30ft from T6 turn-in to the apex of T8.  Then it falls 46 feet from T8 to the exit of T10 (over ~1000 ft of surface for 4% average grade).  That's the same elevation change as the climb up the old-T10 (new-T14).  If the DTED data is correct that's quite a lot of fall. 

I'm booked for a test day this coming Saturday.  Forecast is sunny and cool (34-60F).

• mdavis likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

What Livio and Paula Galanti (ECR owners) have done at the track is simply amazing.  The entire track has been rebuilt and the back half has added new corners.  Along with significant clubhouse upgrades - and more coming, I predict that this track will be incredibly popular.  

CNJ

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Looks great. I wish someone would do that around here but it appears to be right at 10hrs which is manageable. (11 if I want to save 2mpg, or 15 if I go E and stop a couple times to charge :) )
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Steve, Steve, Steve...you can never avoid a chance to fire a shot across ecobraps bow!!!

I'll post up video next week.

I haven't been over to ECR since it was taken off the racing schedules. Really glad to see it back in racing shape... I get the feeling tracks don't come back from the abyss very often.

With Cresson, Eagles, and Texas Motor Speedway... It's pretty cool to have three w2w tracks within an hour of home, again.

Now if LG will ever get started on the track in Anna... My life will be complete.
  • Steve Scheifler likes this

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

Running next weekend with TDE as an instructor. I'll guess I'll have a few warm up laps before I let some fucker kill me. Always liked the track minus the off road obstacles.

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Good luck with that. I could never convince myself to ride in the right seat.

-tch

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

Good luck with that. I could never convince myself to ride in the right seat.

Everyone has a price, and apparently my safety is for sale. That, and I love those guys and they needed help with a great group.

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Good time. I'd forgotten what a cluster normal de days are like, though. Point by passing on long straights only, "advanced drivers" == only 50% clueless. The croud was mostly street cars: vettes, vipers, camaros, etc. There were only a handful of purpose built racecars.

Predictably, the track is green as fudge. Yesterday was only the second day the back canyon has been driven, with the previous day only being a members day. Even the smaller front section that has been open for a while was still very green. That made for a weird, skating sorta traction experience. Also, the tires were squealing like street tires on the neww surface. I kept thinking I had a bearing going, but the other SM near me was having the same experience on toyos.

It got better through the day, but only directly on-line. Step out a lane and off you go. My only 4-off was a result of overdriving the entry and ending up off line, with no grip.

The fall from t8 to t10 isn't as steep as it looked on the online altitude profile, but it's still significant. T9 and t10 are already nearly flat, once the grip improves, I'm sure it will be flat, and the challenge will be keeping it on track on the exit of t10 onto the long 1/2 mile back stretch.

Its hard to know what it will be like once it gets seasoned and the grip level comes in. My guess is t6-t7 will be flat or nearly so. The main question being how to get setup for t8.

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Last three laps of the day...just about the only clean laps:

Edit: Fixed the embed code.
  • mdavis likes this

-tch

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:15

I remember that place!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Nathan Pring

Nathan Pring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:85

Looks like a great tracking with plenty of passing opportunities.  I'm guessing it's in Texas?

2019 SeDIV SMSE Champion

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Looks like a great tracking with plenty of passing opportunities.  I'm guessing it's in Texas?

Yes, near a small town call Slidel. Just about 20min Northwest of Denton, TX.

-tch

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Tom, what's up with the scribbles on your windshield? I'm only asking because I want to know.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Tire pressures, hot and cold in different paint pen color. Those were actually left over from the NOLA race weekend, last month.

-tch

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

OK, why on the windshield?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
X-factor started doing it there a couple years ago. I've kept the habit even when I'm at a track by myself. I've seen other teams doing it on masking tape on the fender with sharpie, instead. There's probably other ways to skin-the-cat, too.

Also, I tend to record a day's (or several sessions') worth of temps on the windshield and then transfer to a notebook when I have time. Glass is (mostly?) safe from getting rubbed off in the event of car-2-car contact. With them all on the windsheild I can just walk around the car and see how each corner has changed through the day or weekend.

-tch

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Makes a spreadsheet look like a booger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users