57 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

For the folks that use them, do you have a brand preference?  How do you have it wired up?

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I use this, its cheap an all you do is twist a wire around a spark plug wire. simple solution.  Hardline

https://www.amazon.c...aps,165&sr=8-26

• chris haldeman and av8tor like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

No real preference to brand, but I wire them up to the fuel pump circuit so that it is only receiving power when the engine is running.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

No real preference to brand, but I wire them up to the fuel pump circuit so that it is only receiving power when the engine is running.

Or pumping out the tank.. :scratchchin:

I think mine is the same as the one Frank linked.

• Brandon likes this

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

use the $35 model that you wrap around the spark plug wire. You glue it to the engine side of the firewall. Easy peezy, it only counts hrs when your making a spark, this one even has a tach so you can set your idle bypass screw.  https://www.motospor...A003T-X001-Y001

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I like this idea to capture hours on a fuel pump.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Forgive me for being obtuse but, what will an hour meter on a SM engine tell you? 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Forgive me for being obtuse but, what will an hour meter on a SM engine tell you? 

Not sure.........I guess it's for the ones that think they own a real race engine,and like to track the hours used ^_^. I don't use them, just track the days on track and service items at needed intervals.

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Or pumping out the tank.. :scratchchin:

I think mine is the same as the one Frank linked.

For the 5 minutes it takes this to happen, it will hardly register on the hourmeter.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Exactly, age and whether it's time to do a service of some kind.  Not something I'd do on a street car, but definitely with a built motor.

Not sure.........I guess it's for the ones that think they own a real race engine,and like to track the hours used ^_^. I don't use them, just track the days on track and service items at needed intervals.

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

I use a $10 meter - https://www.amazon.c...f/dp/B00A43PKLW wrapped around a spark plug wire.  Helps me remember when I'm due for a oil/filter change.

No complaints - "just works".

• av8tor likes this

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Exactly, age and whether it's time to do a service of some kind. Not something I'd do on a street car, but definitely with a built motor.

“Built”, in SM? You flatter your engine.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

You know what I mean.  <_<  A reputable SM engine builder's motor that costs 2X a crate motor - that one.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Now you're just being obtuse.  :-) 

Most people have peroidic maintenance schedules--some of which are NOT engine related.  The frequencies of those schedules may be debated, but that's less important than the need to do certain things every now and again.  EG: We probably don't need to change our engine oil/repack our hubs every weekend, but we do need to change the oil or repack at some point. 

Many gravitate to a "weekends" metric for the various things that need to be done, with exceptions for things like "rain", and "offs."   And then there's the "annual" / off season type of stuff.  I've contemplated an hour meter based approach in the past.  But, then I realized all I was doing was coming up with a conversion factor between "weekends" and "operating hours" to equate to "time on track" (6 operating hours = 1 race weekend).  I couldn't really figure out how I was better served by "engine operating hours." 

I liked the idea of the race car tracking website that was around for a couple of years.  It would automatically read data system (traqmate and aim, I think)files, and tally time-on-track/distance/etc and auto-notify you for needed maintenance.  You could setup your own maintenance cycles, etc.  Its gone now, though.  I think the concept was better than the execution, and I'm guessing the ROI just wasn't really there. 

• av8tor likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
No, not obtuse. Annoying yes. But he was making a clear distinction between a street car engine and his SM engine, which I found amusing. But although our engines are milder “builds” than most stock engines today, I certainly recognize that they are pushed much harder per hour. Still, I’m not going to stop and do anything mid-weekend because the timer hits x hours, and I have an adequate sense of when it’s time to do what, these aren’t exactly old Cessnas or new fighter jets.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

No, not obtuse. Annoying yes.

ob·tuse

/?b?t(y)o?os,äb?t(y)o?os/

adjective

adjective: obtuse

1.   annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.

"he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"

• av8tor likes this

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Be careful who you call obtuse.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Be careful who you call obtuse.

Video link... No worky worky.

-tch

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

ob·tuse

/?b?t(y)o?os,äb?t(y)o?os/

adjective

adjective: obtuse

1. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.

"he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"

Thanks for proving my point. The emphasis in typical usage is the part about “slow to understand”, yet clearly I understood him completely and chose to be deliberately annoying (not insensitive) in spite of that, which by itself is not a synonym for obtuse. In your definition “annoyingly” is an adverb of insensitive not it’s own adjective.

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

Either he is not bright or just a dick. Last time I checked, machinery lasts longer when proper inspections and Preventative Maintenance (PM) is performed.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users