Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:88
Posted Image

As I was building my 1.6, I ran across a 1.8 for a great deal. Just finished paint and ready for decals. My 1.6 is the same scheme, but black and yellow. I will be running the 1.6 at Texas World Speedway April 30th, and my father in law will be running the 1.8.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Posted Image

As I was building my 1.6, I ran across a 1.8 for a great deal. Just finished paint and ready for decals. My 1.6 is the same scheme, but black and yellow. I will be running the 1.6 at Texas World Speedway April 30th, and my father in law will be running the 1.8.

Nice paint work. Those R-888 have to go, terrible tires.

And if those wheels are Kosei or Enkei, can't remember which company makes that style, they are not legal for SM. Too light. Or maybe they are RPF, hard to tell from the picture. Whatever they are, there is a minimum spec weight allowed in 15x7, and I don't recall a pattern like that being legal. Might want to check.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Josh Chaney

Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:33
Where's the cage? :huh:
- Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
I built this one as a DE car for my father in law. Just has suspension, interior prep, roll bar, tires. Using 888 because they are easy to find lightly used after the rule change took effect. The rims are from discount. They are Drag DR-21s and meet all Spec criteria. My 1.6 car is fully prepped and will hopefully get tech'ed this month.

Posted Image

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59
Just an FYI if you intend to race SCCA you will be required to remove the passenger seat. It looks to be legal in NASA as their GCR says the passenger seat may be removed, though I can't specifically remember anyone having one in.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

Just an FYI if you intend to race SCCA you will be required to remove the passenger seat. It looks to be legal in NASA as their GCR says the passenger seat may be removed, though I can't specifically remember anyone having one in.

Since the kill switch is behind that seat, it would be good to remove prior to racing. Then you'd only need one of the cup holders. ;)
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
I figured my 1.6 was some much fun I wanted to be able to use it for instruction and for driving to/from work 4 miles away. The second seat is fully removeable during races for access to kill switch and fire pull handle. And yes, the radio is still there but is also removable with the portable speakers. I even went as far as modifying thr transmission tunnel for the seat, but not so much that I could not quickly reinstall the cat for inspection purposes.

Maybe one day I will go all out and bare bones for weight, but right now I'm having way too much fun.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
looks really nice, congrats!
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
And with decals added. This was my first attempt at applying vinyl. A few bubbles, but good enough for the 50/50 rule. I will get other decals at the race on Saturday.
Posted Image

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

And with decals added. This was my first attempt at applying vinyl. A few bubbles, but good enough for the 50/50 rule. I will get other decals at the race on Saturday.
Posted Image

Very nice build. If you have not recieved your log book, the following are a list of items that will be scrutinized thorougly:

Window net and side net (if applicable) manufacture or expiration date (cant remember which they punch). Some of the nets that have been failed this year for being too loose or not having the expiration/manufacture date punched on the tag. If yours is not punched then you have have an oportunity to punch it before you get to tech.

High density foam on cage surrounding driver. If you can touch it while seated and strapped in the car put the HIGH Density foam on it.

Have a drill with a 3/16th inch bit with you and be ready to drill. NASA Texas will have you drill at least three places on the roll cage and they change there mind as to where they want it. So don't guess unless you like to indescriminately perforate your saftey system.

Class letters and numbers 4 sides, many have not had the rear lettered and numbered.

Good luck and have fun. Show up Friday early evening to get your logbook. If you show up Saturday morning, you are likely to miss practice and/or qualifying.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
I plan on taking both my cars out to Katy on Wed at noon to get inspected at Bumbera's Performance Associates. I plan on getting a logbook there. I really don't want to wait in line at the track. That will give me time to make corrections as needed if I need to get reinspected at the track.

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63
Reminds me of Zinka from the 80's!

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Kidding. Looks nice!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I plan on taking both my cars out to Katy on Wed at noon to get inspected at Bumbera's Performance Associates. I plan on getting a logbook there. I really don't want to wait in line at the track. That will give me time to make corrections as needed if I need to get reinspected at the track.

I live in the Katy area and if you ever have a question or need any help, just PM me. I have probably experienced (or seen) every mess up possible in getting a car on the track over the years.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA