manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

With all the schedule disruptions due to COVID, I'm looking at getting a NASA license and log book to maximize my opportunities to be on track.  The only major difference I can see between SCCA and NASA SM is the tires.

Is there anything special I have to do to get a NASA logbook for my car?  Can I just show up at an event with my SCCA logbook, get my belts, fire system, etc, checked, and they will issue a book?

I hope everyone is staying safe and sane.  Hope to see some of you around the track soon!

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

I am the NASA Northeast Chief of Race Tech. If you already have an SCCA logbook, the we will just issue you a NASA book, and providing the belts, window net and seat(if it is a composite) are up to date, then you will be good for an Annual. NASA does go by the expiration dates ( 2 years SFI and 5 years FIA) on the belts, window nets are 5 years, and composite seats older than 5 years will need a seat back brace ( yes, I know this is a sore topic to some). Books and Annuals can only be issued at the track. An approved shop can do the Tech Inspection and fill out your forms, then you would bring that to me in Tech and get the book and sticker( kinda of streamlines the process for me on a race weekend. 

• lillyweld likes this

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Just what I was looking for!  Thank you!

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

On a related note, are there any sub-classes of SM in NASA that allow Hoosier tires?  When I look at the registration for NJMP-T June Jam, they list Spec Miata, Spec Miata 2, Spec Miata Challenge, and Spec MX-5 as classes, but I can't find anywhere on the NASA website that says what the specific class rules are, except Spec Miata Challenge

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

I'm not sure where you saw NASA Northeast listing Spec Miata 2, SM Challenge or Spec MX5, we have only been running plain Spec Miata. Maybe the website gives default class choices( technically "there" on a National level), but I've never noticed that. You can run the Hoosiers, but will not receive any points and will be "disqualified" if you place. I guess you could run in an ST class( not sure which one you would fall into) but there might not be anyone for you to race with. How about getting a set of Toyos, and if you don't run with NASA, you could always sell them off?  We do have an event in the fall at the Glen ( and are looking into getting an additional date there with club cancellations).

infamousjim

infamousjim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:313

Plenty of us live on scrubs, we shouldn't have a problem digging out some so you can be compliant for competition sessions at least. What events you planning on hitting?

Jim 

No Money Motorsports Blog - Racing On A Budget

NASA Northeast

SM #313

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Plenty of us live on scrubs, we shouldn't have a problem digging out some so you can be compliant for competition sessions at least. What events you planning on hitting?

I was going to try to have everything in place for June Jam at NJMP-T in June, when the status of the SCCA race at Lightning was up in the air.  Since then, they have announced that the race is on, but it will not count towards the MARRS championship.  However, there are some races later in the year at NJMP and PIRC that I may be interested in.  That will give me a little more time to buy a set of Toyos for my very own!

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I'm not sure where you saw NASA Northeast listing Spec Miata 2, SM Challenge or Spec MX5, we have only been running plain Spec Miata. Maybe the website gives default class choices( technically "there" on a National level), but I've never noticed that. You can run the Hoosiers, but will not receive any points and will be "disqualified" if you place. I guess you could run in an ST class( not sure which one you would fall into) but there might not be anyone for you to race with. How about getting a set of Toyos, and if you don't run with NASA, you could always sell them off?  We do have an event in the fall at the Glen ( and are looking into getting an additional date there with club cancellations).

When you go to the event registration page (event #3279), there's a dropdown box for "Choose your driving class" in the "Racing" section, there they are.  I may very well buy a set of Toyos to have on hand for NASA events.  If it rains, I'll run on my Hoosier wets and take the DQ!

infamousjim

infamousjim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:313

I was going to try to have everything in place for June Jam at NJMP-T in June, when the status of the SCCA race at Lightning was up in the air.  Since then, they have announced that the race is on, but it will not count towards the MARRS championship.  However, there are some races later in the year at NJMP and PIRC that I may be interested in.  That will give me a little more time to buy a set of Toyos for my very own!

Sounds good!

When you go to the event registration page (event #3279), there's a dropdown box for "Choose your driving class" in the "Racing" section, there they are.  I may very well buy a set of Toyos to have on hand for NASA events.  If it rains, I'll run on my Hoosier wets and take the DQ!

When you are on the actual reg page it moves from the region site to the national site, that's probably why the other classes are there even if they're not active in the NE. Though, It's my understanding that Spec Miata Challenge is actually the same thing (unless they're referring to Teen Challenge), and SM2 doesn't run anywhere (It was for NB's).

There aren't any classes in NASA to run SM with Hoosiers, but you could run in the car in whatever ST it would fall into. You'd still probably be racing with the SM pack though, so I'd suggest to just run SM so you aren't running wedges between the cars actively running SM.

Jim 

No Money Motorsports Blog - Racing On A Budget

NASA Northeast

SM #313

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users