• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Having lost all my tools recently I am preparing to replace a large number of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers etc. I’m definitely not budgeted for Snap-On, Mac or the like and been at this long enough to conclude that there’s no possible justification for their prices on most basic tools, but I also want something better than some of the embarrassingly bad post-Sears stuff I see carrying the Craftsman name. There’s the big box house brands like Kobalt and Husky, Gearwrench continues to expand their line (I had a bunch of their ratcheting box wrenches and an excellent tab & die set), and relative newcomers like Tekton with the kind of replacement guarantee Craftsman was once known for.

I’d prefer to stick primarily with one brand but not to the point of buying something I don’t much like just because the name on it matches most of my other tools, so there may be some mix & match.

Suggestions, preferences, reasons?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

Check out craigslist and pawn shops for people selling used Snap-On gear. Also, check out Snap-On Industrial which is primarily Williams tools and check out Proto Tools. Both of these are less expensive then Snap-On truck, but high quality. They are more expensive then Kobalt or Husky. I do like Snap-On for my main 3/8 drive set, for those I think they may be worth reinvesting in.

https://www.snaponin...com/30/home.htm

https://www.protoind...s/Default.aspx#

https://www.toolsdelivered.com

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Thanks Chris. I should have made clear this is primarily replacement based on an insurance claim inventory matching items and sets for like kind equivalents, so strictly new and well documented purchases for the bulk of it. Having bought my first tools in 1975 and finding excuses to buy more on a regular basis ever since, I had a pretty comprehensive collection. A very few Snap On & S&K from a brief period doing it for a living but never could justify that stuff for personal use despite being way more than a shade-tree wrench or weekend warrior. So I’m looking at some of the large combo sets as a logical starting point but liking different things from different brands.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

I've had good luck with Tekton and really like them. Amazon tends to have good pricing.

• Alberto likes this

JTT

JTT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car Year:1999
I will agree, I’ve picked up a few Tekton items lately and they are surprisingly good for such inexpensive tools. And made in Taiwan rather than China.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Snap On makes screwdrivers of the gods.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Snap On makes screwdrivers of the gods.

Pehaps, but do they double as pry bars and chisels?
  • Alberto likes this

Nathan Pring

Nathan Pring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:85

The Gearwrench stuff has been working out as a fellow weekend warrior.  Seems like a good mid-level set to me as I can't justify the outlay for Snap-On, Matco, etc.  They come in a whole bunch of different size kits to suit your needs.

2019 SeDIV SMSE Champion

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Pehaps, but do they double as pry bars and chisels?

Sacrilege. You are banished to Harbor Freight.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I miss the good old days when if your Craftsman ratchet took a crap you could work into Sears and they'd hand you a new one for free.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Tekton is awesome.  I bought a couple of their 90 tooth ratchets and they are so nice to work with.  Similarly, I have some Gear Wrench ratcheting open end wrenches and they work pretty well.

I don't have any input on sockets and such.  Haven't bought any in decades.  

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users