Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Ran Sat fine, did practice fine Sun. Filled and ran full tank of gas for enduro. 1st time for full tank. Dirty gas filter/screen?

One person said it sounded like I was hunting for ducks. pow,pow,pow.
Lift off the gas on went back on full throttle sometimes would solve the problem.

Also in neutral my idle is fine, put it in gear the idle revs up and down.
Vacuum leak? Kinda separate problem but throwing it in.

Dyno will show the problem or try some things 1st and then dyno to verify?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
What circumstances did this happen? Straights, coming off curves, etc. Full tank only or all way down to empty.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Seemed mid to exit curves, but happened down the straight as well. Only ran for 1/2 hour hoping it would get better but people running into me when they thought I was fine one moment and chocking at points I should be on the gas. Finally smelled gas, I was pounding the engine with it bucking and called it a day.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Seemed mid to exit curves, but happened down the straight as well. Only ran for 1/2 hour hoping it would get better but people running into me when they thought I was fine one moment and chocking at points I should be on the gas. Finally smelled gas, I was pounding the engine with it bucking and called it a day.
J~

Johnny
Do the tach/gauges blink and go crazy when it happens? (electrical problem)?
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Yes the tach goes crazy.

I did find a wire in my trunk that went to nowhere and I taped so it wouldn't short.
Maybe I screwed myself and it was supposed to be grounded.

So this could be anywhere and maybe only with a full tank?
J~

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Yes the tach goes crazy.

I did find a wire in my trunk that went to nowhere and I taped so it wouldn't short.
Maybe I screwed myself and it was supposed to be grounded.

So this could be anywhere and maybe only with a full tank?
J~

check and clean all grounds

I think you have an electrical problem and full tank is a coincidence.
Check spacing on the crank trigger ( most common)

Replace cam sensor ( if you don't have a spare, you need one)

check the vacuum cannister up at the front of the motor that mounts on passenger side of engine compartment and slides into the holder ( roughly size of a coke can) make sure there is no fuel in it.

Check to make sure the battery hasn't slid where the hold down is now against the positive terminal and melting itself away, also very common.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
The reason I asked questions is that my car exhibited similar symptoms as to what you describe when I ran above 1/2 tank years ago. My issue was liquid gas overloading the vapor recovery system from the connections on the filler neck.

Do you have your roll-over check and tank check in place? I know some folks remove the tank check but I had to put mine back in to stop my problem which on the surface sounds the same as yours.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I got mine on CL with a blown engine for 1K.
Later it turned out it had a bad wiring harness. Missing wires. The shop said.
No telling how long it had been sitting.
Got a replacement from a junkyard.
Left head light still is dim.
Ran it all last year.

The little flap door on the fill, Yes it's there.

I'm hoping Deans enduro video will catch me in it and shed some light.
J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

check and clean all grounds

I think you have an electrical problem and full tank is a coincidence.
Check spacing on the crank trigger ( most common)

Replace cam sensor ( if you don't have a spare, you need one)

check the vacuum cannister up at the front of the motor that mounts on passenger side of engine compartment and slides into the holder ( roughly size of a coke can) make sure there is no fuel in it.

Check to make sure the battery hasn't slid where the hold down is now against the positive terminal and melting itself away, also very common.
Jim

Thanks Jim,
I know the battery is not sliding.
I'll have to dig into all the rest and order parts but gives me a good direction to look.

J~

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Thanks Jim,
I know the battery is not sliding.
I'll have to dig into all the rest and order parts but gives me a good direction to look.

J~

Had the same problem.
Did it throw a code? Had the same problem when it finally threw out a code. If I remember, the code is generic for either crank
or cam sensors. I ended up replacing both and problem solved.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Check engine lights on all the time. I didn't check for a code.
Thanks I'll replace them.

Anybody have this one...
Also in neutral my idle is fine, put it in gear the idle revs up and down.
Vacuum leak? Kinda separate problem but throwing it in.

J~

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
had the same issue and found my crank sensor wires were chafed and grounding out on the lower pulley.replaced sensor added lots of zip ties and all was good.
good luck
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

I got mine on CL with a blown engine for 1K.
Later it turned out it had a bad wiring harness. Missing wires. The shop said.
No telling how long it had been sitting.
Got a replacement from a junkyard.
Left head light still is dim.
Ran it all last year.

The little flap door on the fill, Yes it's there.

I'm hoping Deans enduro video will catch me in it and shed some light.
J~

Neither check about which I asked is the little flapper on the fill. But if you built this car yourself off a craigslist sale and don't know where the parts I referenced are located, then obviously you didn't take them out.

Jims and Chris' suggestions about a ground somewhere is also a likely possibility.

James York

sponsored by: