Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45
I just ran the first Midwestern Council race of the year, and was surprised to hear that they have changed their seat belt expiration rule. I questioned them fairly extensively to clarify whether this applied differently to FIA vs. SFI rated belts.

Apparently, their new rule is that ALL belts, regardless of certification, expire 5 years from their date of birth. So SFI are rated for 5 years. And no belt expires at the end of the year. If yours were made in July of 2006 (like mine) they expire in July of 2011. New belts for me I guess.

Upon further questioning, the chief of tech said SCCA was in touch with him on their rule, and wanted all their paperwork as they were "considering it" also?? Not so sure I believe that, but I sure would like to hear from someone in the know as to whether I should bother investing in FIA belts if SCCA is considering extending SFI belts to 5 years...???
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

iambhooper

iambhooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:over here
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:666
Coming into thissport with an extensive (if not dated) textile background, the SCCA's rules on seatbelt expiration has alway's bothered me. Synthetic yarn's/dye's/fabric's are typically tested by lab's for UV and chemical breakdown's. Personally, I believe that, when taken car of, our harness belts, net's, what ever generally last well beyond the 2 year's given. Most of us store our car's indoor, which protect's from the elemnt's and extend's the life of the webbing.

Some of our car's do spend a certain amount of time (other than at the track) outdoor's. This does increase the likelyhood of a UV degridation. I have experience with this, as my current ride sat outside for an undetermined amount of time before it was moved inside to sell. When I bought it, the harness was still indate, and I "almost" went to the track with them. Fortunatly I checked them and they exhibited dry rot. In my opinion, this is the biggest problem faced with harness expiration. However, this can easily be caught during the yearly tech or by the owner/team.

If they are considering extending the SFI rule to equall the FIA, then that's a cost savings for all of us. If they are expecting to mandate that the belts expire 5 yeas to the date, as opposed to the year, then good luck policing that one!
hoop
a bunch of old '90's cars
and an '06 RSX Type S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users