2 replies to this topic

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
Dear SM Community,

I was greatly saddened to learn that Rich Johnson of Backstreet Performance (you may know him as the operator of the towable Dynojet that has attended many Runoffs and NASA Champs since 2006) was seriously injured while on the job at his shop in Medina, OH.

I just spoke with Rich and he told me he didn't mind people knowing about his plight - and I hope he meant it, because I am here without his permission or knowledge in an attempt to garner what support I can for Rich and his family. Rich is a military veteran, a cancer survivor, and just a damn nice guy all around. I admire Rich's patience, generosity, and love for people, and I wish I could be more like him.

Without going into too much detail, Rich's injuries were very serious and the required medical procedures were complex and expensive - including LifeFlight, surgery, and time spent in the ICU until last Friday.

Being a small business owner, Rich does not have the same luxury of insurance benefits that some of us have.

Rich and his family were people I met through this class, and they are among the finest people I know in this business and this sport. They have never once refused to help me or anyone else I know. Many on this website may not know that NEOhio SCCA built and raffled off an SM back in 2002 (2003?) solely for charity purposes. That car was mostly built with donated hours, donated shop space, and donated transportation courtesy of Backstreet Performance. I remember that car clearing something like $12,000 for a children's charity. For those from GLDIv, this was the #24 Miata originally "won" by Eric Zeldin and currently campaigned in NASA by Jeff Diffenderfer.

I just sold my 1999 Drago SM - a car that spent a LOT of time at Backstreet Performance (much of it not billed or billed at a ridiculous discount). It isn't near what I owe the Johnsons, but I am pledging $1000 to assist with Rich's medical expenses - and I am hopeful that by posting here I can generate more financial support from the SM, SCCA, and NASA communities.

If you would like to join the cause, please PayPal whatever amount you can to dragfreecalipers (AT) gmail.com and I will see to it that every penny makes it to the Johnsons, along with a card with every donor's name in it.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Yours truly,

Mark Bennett
GLDIv SM #11 (2002-2010)

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I spoke to Rich today, he seemed in good spirits with all things considered.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

SableGTO

SableGTO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:2004
Just an update, Rich has begun recovery and his surgery to correct his three crushed ribs is complete. They have moved him down from Intesive Care to Intensive Rehab. He is begining a 3 hour a day rehab and is hoping to be released from the hospital in time to make their Dyno Day they have scheduled for May 21st. While he may make the event, it would be in a wheel chair that he would attend.

As already stated, Rich is in a great mood all things considered. He has been amazed by all the support coming out to him. He is a rare person these days. He opens his shop and heart to almost anyone that walks through his doors. I can't count on one hand the number of times I have called him randomly and have been accepted into the shop on the spot to fix my car and get back to the race. Sundays at 9 pm even and he never even thought twice about it. Can't think of another shop that would do this.

If anybody can make it, we are giving the Back Street Performance Dyno Day a bit of a theme with a big Welcome Back Rich party. There is going to be food and cake etc. Pedders suspension is coming out to support Rich and family and we are trying to get as many people as we can out to show there support to one of the areas greatest. Please come on out and show your support!

Details on the event:

Date: May 21st
Time: 10 am and will run until the last car is dynoed
650 W. Smith Rd. Unit 12
Medina, OH 44256
dyno@backstreetper.com

!!!SAVE THE DATE!!!
The big Back Street Performance dyno day is being planned again for this Spring!
Those who have attended in the past know that this is a must attend!
Free food and beverage! This will be open to any make or model as usual.

Prices:
$50 for three pulls and $60 if you want Air Fuel Ratios.

Please call Rich (Erik until Rich is back) at the shop to discuss and arrange your dyno tune if you are interested in that. 330.764.1923

Post up if interested!

Link to meeting places and times: - http://maps.google.c...a8f26af813f37e1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users