MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

What are we going to do about that debacle at the Run-offs. If they are going to arbitrarily start cancelling qualifying sessions then we should not have to spend a week of our lives for their big event.  I may be the only person that feels that way, but I found it ridiculous at the time and a month later I feel the same way. 

MPR22

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I think most feel the same way, but don't see anyone doing anything about it. 

No contact the entire session they bring in the entire field under black flag. I get put off the track twice in two corners on lap one and they don't even call it in :)  Some consistency would be nice. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

No contact the entire session they bring in the entire field under black flag. I get put off the track twice in two corners on lap one and they don't even call it in :)  Some consistency would be nice.

Our consistent apathy encourages their bad behavior. Vocal or better yet financial messaging is essential to change.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:92
I sent in a letter the week we got home to the CRB requesting the decision maker is removed from a role of any authority with the SCCA indefinitely.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Tyler Quance 

Race Bushing Factory

Home of the turn-key SM Offset Bushing Control Arms

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I think I read this earlier...their reason was that some or all were scrubbing tires on the green out lap? Assuming this is the case and within the Steward/Race directors authority to enforce(basically a total DICK move but...)...letters to the CRB cant hurt! That said...how about moving forward an effort to improve what happens in a qualifying session?

Depending on the weekend, event, track and drivers...SM has more often than not had a gentleman's agreement to go out at a slower pace, staying in line, to allow all cars to get on track. Scrubbing tires certainly occurs though there is no pace car...maybe looked at by Stewards at times but not penalized? 

Ideas...

1. As a group be allowed to request a pace car(FAST!)

2. As a group be allowed to request double yellow flags until lead car gets to a specific corner. No scrubbing but can keep pace down...then all are dropped!

3. If track is green as cars roll out...IT IS GREEN. Any effort of cars to block(not on pace)will be the drivers who are deemed not cool vs the cars who want to go as hard as they can from wherever they roll out at!

4. Regardless of which scenario occurs above...cars showing up late to grid or who choose to wait in the hot pit...will not be allowed out once the lead car reaches a given point on the 1st lap. Held at end of hot pit until a majority of the field has come around or there is an obvious open space to release without affecting a lot of cars. 

As our local NASA series leader I have requested both of the first 2 options. IMO both worked better than the traditional "gentleman agreement"(always a few who know its green). 

My guess is this situation will never happen again...especially at the runoffs...they wont cave but maybe only pull individual cars who don't heed the warnings that will surely be given. Again, pick an option above and see if it flies!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I think I read this earlier...their reason was that some or all were scrubbing tires on the green out lap? Assuming this is the case and within the Steward/Race directors authority to enforce(basically a total DICK move but...)...letters to the CRB cant hurt! That said...how about moving forward an effort to improve what happens in a qualifying session?

Depending on the weekend, event, track and drivers...SM has more often than not had a gentleman's agreement to go out at a slower pace, staying in line, to allow all cars to get on track. Scrubbing tires certainly occurs though there is no pace car...maybe looked at by Stewards at times but not penalized? 

Ideas...

1. As a group be allowed to request a pace car(FAST!)

2. As a group be allowed to request double yellow flags until lead car gets to a specific corner. No scrubbing but can keep pace down...then all are dropped!

3. If track is green as cars roll out...IT IS GREEN. Any effort of cars to block(not on pace)will be the drivers who are deemed not cool vs the cars who want to go as hard as they can from wherever they roll out at!

4. Regardless of which scenario occurs above...cars showing up late to grid or who choose to wait in the hot pit...will not be allowed out once the lead car reaches a given point on the 1st lap. Held at end of hot pit until a majority of the field has come around or there is an obvious open space to release without affecting a lot of cars. 

As our local NASA series leader I have requested both of the first 2 options. IMO both worked better than the traditional "gentleman agreement"(always a few who know its green). 

My guess is this situation will never happen again...especially at the runoffs...they wont cave but maybe only pull individual cars who don't heed the warnings that will surely be given. Again, pick an option above and see if it flies!

Nick Leverone had a good idea which you hit on.. 

We all get to where we were for a reason..  session one we are gridded by HST points, each of the following sessions by time. 

First lap under yellow, not like anyone will get their lap out of the pits anyway. It will stop all the BS of team mates waiting for each other,  guys in the 20's who feel they should be top five driving through the cars ahead to get in drafting range of leaders..

If you want to hook up with a team mate, pull over in pit lane and hook up there. 

I liked that idea

Jim

• Ron Alan likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
My personal opinion is the entire principle of the runoffs is flawed. How a national champion is determined by a single race only is beyond me
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

My personal opinion is the entire principle of the runoffs is flawed. How a national champion is determined by a single race only is beyond me

I agree , well at least for next year :) I hate that place :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

As to the issue of scrubbing in qualifying, we had some late regional races at Mid-Ohio this year where we were the first group out and then temp was about 35 degrees. In order to to allow us to get some heat in the tires we asked for and were given two out laps under yellow so that we could scrub the tires for heat and then we got the green to let it rip. It was a safety issue rather than going at it with rock hard tires. It worked well and we were able to spread ourselves out enough to to make the session count. Just an idea, But i agree we generally have an agreement that we stay in line which most of us follow except Kyle. :)

• Jim Drago and Tom Sager like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I think the problem arises from the high number of entries (even at a 4 mile track) that Spec Miata brings.  The guys at the front want to protect the clear track ahead of them, and guys like me want to maximize our time on the track.  I'd suggest that we either get more time (since we provide more $$$ for the event), or the clock starts at some point (halfway or S/F line?) other than rolling off pit road.

• Steve Scheifler likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Runoffs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users