- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Krusovice

Krusovice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
For a number of years I’ve been repacking my front hubs after every day of racing. (Usually endurance, but some sprint racing too.). I’ve finally damaged one of the plastic bearing cages to the point that I can’t get it back in.

Does anyone know of a replacement source? Or has anyone run without that cage? I think it’s just there to hold them in place. Without a cage there would be a bit of space between them, and they’d shift around but maybe that doesn’t matter.

Any thoughts?

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
There are many different designs and it’s very unlikely you will find new ones. Perhaps if you post a closeup picture and note the number of balls someone will have some from failing hubs they haven’t yet tossed.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Krusovice

Krusovice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

I'll do that when I get back to the garage...thanks

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

For a number of years I’ve been repacking my front hubs after every day of racing. (Usually endurance, but some sprint racing too.). I’ve finally damaged one of the plastic bearing cages to the point that I can’t get it back in.

Does anyone know of a replacement source? Or has anyone run without that cage? I think it’s just there to hold them in place. Without a cage there would be a bit of space between them, and they’d shift around but maybe that doesn’t matter.

Any thoughts?

It seems like a really bad idea to run without the cages.  The balls will flop and bind and you'll end up with near certain accelerated hub failure.  I think your worst case scenario will be to buy some cheap hubs and throw out everything but the cage.  Not ideal but might be your next best bet.

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

If the bearing is still a good usable core, just hold onto all of the parts and it's inevitable that someone you race with will tear up a bearing that is too far gone to save. Then trade him a beer for it and then you have a good set of cages. Just make sure it's the same style/brand bearing.I know you really want to get this one back in and be done asap, but if you don't want to throw it out, you will have to wait.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users