• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I bought two front wheel bearings from NAPA for my 1991 NA. The wheel studs are short and when the lug nuts are tight no threads extend beyond the nut.

I want to switch to extended studs so I ordered ARP studs for a 90-93 front hub. The NAPA stud splines are about 0.050" smaller diameter than the ARP stud splines. The ARP studs fit an OEM hub.

Plan B is drilling the stud holes in the NAPA hubs to accept the ARP studs.

Plan A is to find studs that fit. So far a search has come up empty.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

IMO...stock studs are fine(strength wise and # of threads grabbed). Many stock lug nuts are closed...no threads beyond. Extended studs just make it easier to put on wheel(designs we use) and start lug nuts...plus the knowledge maybe stronger metal and maximum threads. Necessary? No idea...

I too have run into what I consider "larger than stock" ARP studs...or is it smaller than oem studs in aftermarket hubs?? My solution was to file the ARP knurls a little...right or wrong it worked fine :)

• LarryKing and Steve Scheifler like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I agree with Ron, what you describe is fine and doesn’t necessitate longer studs. They may give you a sense of a little more time before the nut falls off if left untorqued but there are plenty of threads engaged and the studs are strong enough. In many years running OEM and various aftermarket hubs front & rear on numerous Miatas we never had a stud or hub failure, but I’ve seen quite a few broken hubs that had replacement studs.
  • LarryKing likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users