1 reply to this topic

Steve66

Steve66

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:2001
I *hope* to be doing Comp. School with NASA in October and have worked my way up to HPDE4, so it’s time to look at getting my Miata up to spec.

Looking through the rules it says that ABS must be deactivated which I’ve already done. However it says nothing about removing the ABS.

If I understand correctly ABS was an option on NB Miatas.

Does this mean I can remove the ABS? If so, I assume that I would have to replace the brake lines with non-ABS brake lines to meet the rules?

nballard76

nballard76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Region:Nor-Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73

Yes.  I just did this on my new '99 build.  You can certainly pull the fuse on the ABS and run it that way, but I've heard that there is some difference in the brake pressure (you need to push the pedal harder for the same result) and potential issues with having fluid run through the deactivated pump system.  Not being familiar enough with it I erred on the side of caution and replaced the ABS system with a non ABS system.  

Things to consider (I believe the NB2 is the same as the NB1 but you should confirm, below is for a NB1):

You need new hard lines, you also need a new master, proportioning valve, and booster.  The pin on the ABS booster isn't long enough to activate the non-ABS master.  You also need to buy a non-ABS washer fluid bottle as the ABS control pump goes in the same place that the washer fluid bottle is on the non-ABS car.  The issue is that the relocated washer fluid bottle on your ABS car won't fit with the non-ABS hard lines (I found this out first hand!).  This requires a bracket for the non-ABS fluid bottle of which I've been unable to find...the bottles are easy to find on ebay, etc.

Other than these considerations, the swap is pretty straightforward.  The hard lines went right in no issue.

Good luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users