SteveS

SteveS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:NY
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:199

I recently acquired a SM that I helped build and couldn't walk away from the deal.  The prior driver was much shorter, I'm 6'1"  so I had to pull out his seat.  There seems to be plenty of room when sitting on the floor without dropping the floor if I could find the right seat.  Is there anyone tall who lives around upstate NY that would let me sit in his car?  I'd travel. Does anyone have a seat that they know fits the standard cage that they could recommend? I called a nearby SM shop but they are so busy you only get a message and they have not called back. 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
There isn’t really a standard cage but the first question is whether the rear hoop goes to the “shelf” behind the seats or to the floor. Next is whether it has a “drop floor” or at least the “tunnel notch”.
  • Alberto likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000

Lots of drivers use aluminum seats like Kirkey that you can mount right to the floor.  Follow their website directions for seat width then order from amazon.  If it doesnt fit return it with option that gives free shipping so it doesnt cost you anything to ship back.  I ordered two sizes and then returned one.  Test fit in car with your helmet on.  Ive got 2” of head room and wouldn’t want any less (and thats with a floor drop pan…).

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

You could also spectate at an upcoming race and talk to the racers there.  Looks like both NASA and SCCA is at NJMP later in August

https://njmp.com/event-calendar/

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SteveS

SteveS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

There isn’t really a standard cage but the first question is whether the rear hoop goes to the “shelf” behind the seats or to the floor. Next is whether it has a “drop floor” or at least the “tunnel notch”.

The cage goes to the floor, losing about 3" of the rear.  There's no notch in the tunnel.  However, I built a wooden 20 degree seat bottom to see what width is necessary, and I can get by with a 14", would rather use a 15" just in case.  That bottom is 15+ two 2x6 sides so 18" total outside, and that's too wide to slide back far enough, but an inch or two narrower would be perfect. I did stop at a Miata race shop, and the guy suggested pulling the dash, replacing the entire cage, adding a drop floor, then a new seat.  I'd sell the car first and go race a vintage car.

SteveS

SteveS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Lots of drivers use aluminum seats like Kirkey that you can mount right to the floor.  Follow their website directions for seat width then order from amazon.  If it doesnt fit return it with option that gives free shipping so it doesnt cost you anything to ship back.  I ordered two sizes and then returned one.  Test fit in car with your helmet on.  Ive got 2” of head room and wouldn’t want any less (and thats with a floor drop pan…).

That's a great idea--use Amazon Prime just in case. I was going to call Kirkey and pick their brain anyway.  So you have a Kirkey with a drop floor? Can I ask how tall you are?  Thanks. 

SteveS

SteveS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

You could also spectate at an upcoming race and talk to the racers there.  Looks like both NASA and SCCA is at NJMP later in August

https://njmp.com/event-calendar/

It would be a shame to wait that long--it kills the season.  I may find an event and go for a day just to find a good fit. 

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

That's a great idea--use Amazon Prime just in case. I was going to call Kirkey and pick their brain anyway.  So you have a Kirkey with a drop floor? Can I ask how tall you are?  Thanks. 

Im 6’.  And w/ helmet I have about 2” of head clearance with floor drop.

If you dont want to install a floor drop and mod the cage you could tilt your seat back more to give you more head room.  Im guessing 25 degrees or more.  Average driver tilts their 20 degree seat back a little and taller drivers will tilt even more to increase head room and bolt directly to floor with spacers in front.  Its a balance of getting seat comfortable with enough head room, and then getting arm and foot distance right.  Typically you want your wrists to bend over top of steering wheel when arms are straight and your legs to have a slight bend when pressing on clutch.  Tilting back too much may compromise some comfort thats why a floor drop is helpful for drivers 6’ or taller.

SteveS

SteveS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Well guys, after a fierce debate with myself,  I have reluctantly decided to sell the Spec Miata.  It's listed on this site.  Someone's going to get a great car, but life goes on... 

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Car Number:46

You bought Matt's car?  There has to be a way to make it work.  Don't sell it.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

The cage goes to the floor, losing about 3" of the rear.  There's no notch in the tunnel.  However, I built a wooden 20 degree seat bottom to see what width is necessary, and I can get by with a 14", would rather use a 15" just in case.  That bottom is 15+ two 2x6 sides so 18" total outside, and that's too wide to slide back far enough, but an inch or two narrower would be perfect. I did stop at a Miata race shop, and the guy suggested pulling the dash, replacing the entire cage, adding a drop floor, then a new seat.  I'd sell the car first and go race a vintage car.

The kind of advice you get from some experts that makes me want to punch someone in the face. Happens too often.
  • Alberto likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users