Photo

voltage regulation

- - - - -

Best Answer tynor , 05-08-2023 09:03 AM

Got some advice from Mazda Motorsports that this is not an unusual charge voltage for a 99.  Who knew? 

I'm going to call this "good enough" and race the car. 

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999

'99 NB

I was having trouble keeping my battery charged.  I suspected a voltage regulator problem since I was seeing 15.7-15.8V across the battery while idling.    I tested the alternator at the parts store and it tested bad, so I have replaced the alternator in with a Bosch reman.

While the old battery tested 'good' at the parts store, my charger would not charge it past 60%.  So I went ahead and replaced it "just in case" (it was 6 years old, so not inconceivable it would give up the ghost from old age soon anyway).  The new battery takes a charge and holds it.

HOWEVER!  The new alternator still shows 15.7V at the battery. I've since learned that the ECU is actually controlling the voltage regulation.   I had a spare (but possibly not legal) ECU, so swapped it and saw 15.2V at the battery.  Hurray - I concluded that in fact the voltage regulator in the first ECU was bad, so I bought a third one.  I installed it today and... I'm seeing 15.8V at the battery.   What are the odds of two ECU's with bad voltage regulators?   I'm wondering what else I'm missing.

Also: The ECU in the car is coded BP4W.   A friend has a spare coded BP5R which I'll swap and see if I get better regulation.  I can't find any info on the interwebs about differences in those codes - any reason to avoid the swap if I see better voltage with it?

Thanks!
Steve

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

AFAIK there isn't a 'voltage regulator' in the ECU. The ECU is commanding the alternator to charge based on voltage. Do you still have your stock dashboard with charging/alt warning light?

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Yes - I have the stock instrument cluster.  Battery light goes out when I start the car.  

I haven't double checked that the voltages at the alternator connector are proper.  Factory manual says:

P connector:  "below 1" when switch ON,  "approx 3-8" when IDLE

D connector:  "approx 0" when switch ON, "*" when IDLE (whatever "*" means :-) )

I'll check that next time I get the car off the trailer.

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

alternator control voltages read good (I see 5.9V on P at IDLE - spec is 3-8V, and 1.8V on D at IDLE spec is "*" - not sure what a "*" means...).

I'm out of ideas.  Swapping ECUs isn't solving the problem.  The ECUs seem to be sending good signals to the alternator.

Help?

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

If you look up the voltage specs in the FSM, those numbers are in the acceptable range. 

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

If you look up the voltage specs in the FSM, those numbers are in the acceptable range. 

Yes - the control voltages look good. 

But I'm seeing 15.6-15.8V across the battery during idle (with a fully charged battery).  FSM says B+ should be in range 13-15.  - so I've been assuming I'm overcharging the battery by 0.6-0.8V.   

Am I overthinking this?

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
✓  Best Answer

Got some advice from Mazda Motorsports that this is not an unusual charge voltage for a 99.  Who knew? 

I'm going to call this "good enough" and race the car. 

• Tom Sager likes this

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users