Photo

Did anyone ever tried the 1.6 car for real?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

Been not  here for a while, but thinking of jumping in maybe.  I read the rules again, and the 1.6 is now at 2275lbs.  

Did anyone ever try to build a proper 1.6?  On paper it seems the 1.6 has an edge now at some race tracks.

Scary, how empty this forum is now.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Yes, It's been tried. One I know of in the SEDiv SCCA is Kevin Beaver. I don't want to put words in his mouth but he and OPM put a lot of time and effort into a no-excuses NA1.6. And he did very well, usually running near the front, about 1 sec/lap slower than the fastest lapper in the field. Then (again, my words not his) he got tired of beating his head against the wall and built an NB.

I think on a regional level you might do OK. On a Majors/HST level probably not a snowball's chance.

• AW33COM likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Yes, It's been tried. One I know of in the SEDiv SCCA is Kevin Beaver. I don't want to put words in his mouth but he and OPM put a lot of time and effort into a no-excuses NA1.6. And he did very well, usually running near the front, about 1 sec/lap slower than the fastest lapper in the field. Then (again, my words not his) he got tired of beating his head against the wall and built an NB.

I think on a regional level you might do OK. On a Majors/HST level probably not a snowball's chance.

How did he do in the NB? :)  He seemed about a second off there as well? :)

• AW33COM likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Jim, you have a much greater knowledge of Majors/HST entries than I. Is anyone campaigning a 1.6 on that level? How would you rate the competitiveness of a 1.6 on a national level?

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

So what should I build?  1.6?  ND2? 

To be honest I don't want a Miata anymore, but I took a hard look at results on the Eastern side of the country.  Besides, SM, SRF, and sometimes FE2, you are not really racing.  You are maybe racing yourself at best.

It even crossed my mind to build ND2 and masquerade it as a street car, drive to the track, track it, race it, and drive it back home.   More pleasure less hustle this time.  

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Just one idiot's opinion, but if I had the means I would explore the Spec MX5 class or SMX (NC). It appears to be building some momentum - 33 entries at Road Atlanta in March, 42 entries at the June Sprints, Runoffs eligible. Dare I say it - SMX may be the class that replaces SM. (Can't race 25-30 year old cars forever)

• AW33COM likes this

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Yeah, I looked at results across the country and SMX is big. 

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

i have a no excuses 1.6, i mean as much as any divisional guy can have. healthy X factor motor, penskes, mazdacomp diff, etc etc, and i have and do win divisional races in it. even against some of the midwest's best (craft, greenhill etc). never easy, but no win in this class ever is. 

my opinion is that 1 on 1 and in clean air, the 1.6 is at least a match for any of the other cars, at most tracks. Road America, probably daytona, and other really 5th gear based tracks probably not, but most club level tracks it certainly competes. 

the problem i think at bigger races, is that what the 1.6 does well, does not lend itself to pack and draft racing as well. its strengths are mid corner speed, and braking, which, when you are in a big pack of cars, it doesnt get to show off. the 99 is faster in 5th, while the VVT gets out of the corner quicker. those both are attributes that are very handy in a pack of cars. 

a 1.6 both podiumed and won (?) just a few weeks ago in gratten majors against brown and hille, so it can be done. and they are still the cheapest SMs to campaign. from a not having a prep shop do all my support/work/parts, its also probably the best car because it has the dumbest ECU and thus probably the highest electrical system reliability.  

put it this way, 2 years ago, i was thinking of buying a 99. after a lot more experience with top 99 and VVT cars in these last two years, i actually am more confident with my 1.6 than ever before. at least at the style and level of races i can afford to run (mostly divisional)

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users