Cutoff Switch Wiring in 1999 Miata

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car Year:1999
This is a continuation of the thread originally started on SpecMiata.com here: link

I finally got around to doing this today and ran into an issue. Drago said

The alternator excite wire runs right there below access panel ( white with red tracer)

When I took off the panel I found these two wire bundles:
Posted Image

The upper one (plug inline) has two white w/ red tracer wires. One looks to be a thicker gauge than the other. Additionally to further confuse things another wire in that bundle is red with a white tracer. I didn't see a while/red wire in the other bundle. So... which one of these is the right one to splice into?

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36
The correct wire is actually the gray with red tracer that comes up from the bottom on the right side, goes into white connector, then runs across in front of fuel tank. I read the same thread, tried it and it wouldn't kill it with the master switch. Called Drago and spoke with his guy that does the wiring. He told me it wasn't the white/red, but gray/red. After making the change, it worked correctly on the four post switch.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! Hopefully I can try that tomorrow after work.

RobSpec

RobSpec

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Car Number:09
I just wired in the cutoff switch this weekend. The grey/red was the correct one. Thanks for making this easy. It made the run of wire much shorter.
Rob

Maniac motorsports12

Maniac motorsports12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:SJR
  • Car Number:12
This thread is only half the info I am looking for, can anyone direct me to a complete wiring diagram or description for wiring a kill switch for a 99.
thanks

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
It depends on if your wiring a two post or a 4 post switch. I believe the above instructions are discussing a 4 post switch. I just wired up the two post switch from Advanced Auto sport. Dave's instructions are pretty simple to follow. I can cite it from memory. The two post switch is wired between the positive battery cable, to break the connection. The kit provides the cable to go from switch to positive side of battery.

On the alternator, you take the white wire coming off the alternator and attach it to the positive battery terminal on the starter. You create a new wire running from the main post of the alternator (previously the white wire on the alternator) to the battery side of the kill switch. It works.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

It depends on if your wiring a two post or a 4 post switch. I believe the above instructions are discussing a 4 post switch. I just wired up the two post switch from Advanced Auto sport. Dave's instructions are pretty simple to follow. I can cite it from memory. The two post switch is wired between the positive battery cable, to break the connection. The kit provides the cable to go from switch to positive side of battery.

On the alternator, you take the white wire coming off the alternator and attach it to the positive battery terminal on the starter. You create a new wire running from the main post of the alternator (previously the white wire on the alternator) to the battery side of the kill switch. It works.

Check this one out, diagram from DaveW 9 posts down.
http://forum.specmia...=1;t=002603;p=0
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I'm biased.. but i think the way we do it is the best and also requires the least amount of wiring to be run.

You take the positive cable off the batter, cut the end and use it and attach to large terminal on 4 pole switch. Run a 3 ft batter cable from the other side of the kill switch to the positive side of battery.

On the small terminals.. as noted above.. You run a small wire from either side of the kill switch, cut the grey wire with red stripe. You add about 16 inches of the smaller wire and a 3 ft batter y cable.

This is clean and simple

If you need help, you can call me
901 647 1700

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

jschwarz

jschwarz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:21
Can anyone tell me the color of the excite wire on a '96? I see a larger than most all gray wire but it does not have a red stripe as mentioned above?

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

With this method wouldn't be wise to install a fuse in the line from the alternator to the battery? And, what size fuse would be recommended?
  • Chad Martin likes this

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

I'm biased.. but i think the way we do it is the best and also requires the least amount of wiring to be run.

You take the positive cable off the batter, cut the end and use it and attach to large terminal on 4 pole switch. Run a 3 ft batter cable from the other side of the kill switch to the positive side of battery.

On the small terminals.. as noted above.. You run a small wire from either side of the kill switch, cut the grey wire with red stripe. You add about 16 inches of the smaller wire and a 3 ft batter y cable.

This is clean and simple

901 647 1700

Jim

Thanks Jim, works like a charm!

• Jim Drago likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

This is clean and simple

901 647 1700

Jim

Jim, you mentioned that the G/R wire is the alternator excite wire. I was trying to find it on the wiring diagram for the charging system and it doesn't show it going to the rear of the car. However, there is G/R wire associated with the "common connector"  X-17 which is in the rear. I'm assuming the charging diagram is incomplete and left this connector out. But, it still leaves me wondering why Mazda would route that wire back there when the ECU manages the alternator? What am I missing here?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

This is clean and simple

901 647 1700

Jim

Jim, Would this be different on a 99 with a 6-pole Kill Switch with a 3ohm resistor?

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Jim, Would this be different on a 99 with a 6-pole Kill Switch with a 3ohm resistor?

You take the "car" side of the battery cable and connect it to a pole of the switch that closes in the "off" position.  You have the other pole of that switch go through a 3ohm resistor on its way to ground.  

That way when you switch off the kill switch, the extra energy being generated by the alternator goes through the big wire to the kill switch, over to the other pole, and through the resistor and to ground.  This doesn't happen when the kill switch is "on".

• john mueller likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98
We mount the switch inside/passenger side.
remove the negative cable from the battery.
run a new cable from the neg. battery post to the switch (about 40" cable).
run a short cable from the other switch post to the body.
cut the ground wire from the main relay and run a single(lightweight) wire to the kill switch.

No hot wires to worry about!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

What about installing two master switches?  Anything different?

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Okay, I'm asking this again...  I suck at wiring.

I'd like to know if I should do anything special when wiring TWO master kill switches?

Can I assume everything will be cool if I follow Wheeler's or Drago's instructions running the switches parallel with each other?

With this work to kill the car & alt?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I'd need to look at the wiring diagram again to be sure. But, parallel will not work... You want them in series.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Ok. I just went and looked. The starter wire needs to be switched by both switches in series. The alternator wire (b terminal) only wires to the switch closest to the battery. If that doesn't make sense I can draw a schematic later.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Ok. I just went and looked. The starter wire needs to be switched by both switches in series. The alternator wire (b terminal) only wires to the switch closest to the battery. If that doesn't make sense I can draw a schematic later.

Thanks Tom.  A schematic would be AWESOME !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users