tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
This is my reading of the changes and comparisons to next years SCCA SM rules.....

Correct me if I am wrong.....

Posted Image

NASA miscellaneous

11.2 "Balancing of Crankshaft and Flywheel is permitted; minimum weights listed in these rules must be maintained."

11.3.3 will allow tape or insulating foam to replace Radiator Seal Plate

12.5.3 For 1999-2005 it is permitted to alter the ignition timing by elongating the mounting holes of the crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel

12.9 Fuel Pressure - Any adjustable mechanical fuel regulator may be used, but it may not be adjustable from the cockpit

13.2: Allowing both the 4.1 and the 99+ upgrade 4.3 but the 4.3 is mandated for the Nationals.

14.1: Front 27mm non-Adjustable or adjustable 24mm front bar ... may be used. However, the 24mm must be used for the duration of the NASA Nationals event.

14.7 1990-97 cars are permitted to use the “R” model tie rod ends part # N021-32-280A

15: Steering rack - allowing shimming (0.5" max) between the rack & subframe.

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

spg993tt

spg993tt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:91
does Nasa sell the restrictor plates for their series requirements, like scca? or do you just drill one out.?

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
I thought SCCA weight for a 90-93 was 2275?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

does Nasa sell the restrictor plates for their series requirements, like scca? or do you just drill one out.?

You have to buy a series approved plate. It's my understanding they'll announce vendors and availability in the next couple of weeks.

Dave

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
I wonder how NASA is going to handle the first races of the year if the plates are not available. In Texas the first race is at the end of January. I seriously doubt that the plates are going to be ready by then. Will we be allowed to run the new open fuel pressure and timing without the new RP?

I have to say as someone who is just getting into SM racing, the decision on which car to build was difficult enough. It would be nice if there could be some consistency in the rules.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I don't see anything inconsistent. They were just late in testing the configs and couldn't get the rules package out prior to now. I'd agree that it needed to come earlier but it is what it is. Compared to other forms of racing SM is pretty consistent. Spec Miata really isn't "spec". It's more of a limited/controlled preparation class with three versions of cars and attempting to equalize them has been anything but easy.

Dave

LeahEpting

LeahEpting

Scary Godmother

• SMembers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:WashDC, Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07
Still looking for those SSM rules. Cheap seats wanna migrate too! :)

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:12?
Leah:

As far as I know, NASA didn't change their SSM rules. The ruleset can be found here:

http://www.nasaprora...miata_rules.pdf

Note it allows 99 shock hats, more camber, and has a higher weight (2300 vs 2275 for the 1.6)

I'm not sure how many people in NASA mid atlantic run SSM. Up here in North East I run my SSM in SM and just have fun. Only last year was being down on power an actual issue for me compared to other cars. I may get an intake to help my 1.6 keep up, but leave my exhaust and suspension alone. Even down on power I was usually a third place car out of 6 or so (though I did benefit from the misfortune of others....)

At least racing with NASA in the NE is fun and different. The mixed class racing is different, and it seems like a more "fun" atmosphere than a SCCA race. I think the racing with SCCA is a bit more competitive and in that way more fun though.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

This is my reading of the changes and comparisons to next years SCCA SM rules.....

Correct me if I am wrong.....

Posted Image

NASA miscellaneous

11.2 "Balancing of Crankshaft and Flywheel is permitted; minimum weights listed in these rules must be maintained."

11.3.3 will allow tape or insulating foam to replace Radiator Seal Plate

12.5.3 For 1999-2005 it is permitted to alter the ignition timing by elongating the mounting holes of the crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel

12.9 Fuel Pressure - Any adjustable mechanical fuel regulator may be used, but it may not be adjustable from the cockpit

13.2: Allowing both the 4.1 and the 99+ upgrade 4.3 but the 4.3 is mandated for the Nationals.

14.1: Front 27mm non-Adjustable or adjustable 24mm front bar ... may be used. However, the 24mm must be used for the duration of the NASA Nationals event.

14.7 1990-97 cars are permitted to use the “R” model tie rod ends part # N021-32-280A

15: Steering rack - allowing shimming (0.5" max) between the rack & subframe.

I have a 99 so I am not complaining, but if we are allowed to use the advanced timing and fuel pressure regulator, for an added HP advantage, wonder how long it will be before SCCA requires a smaller RP. I would hope that the NASA rule changed was based upon some analysis and if that analysis was valid, then the 99's are going to have an advantage with SCCA.
Another reason for me to run more SCCA in 2011.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Sampson Racing Radios

Sampson Racing Radios

***Radio-Man***

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:So-Cal
  • Car Number:2
IMHO... Man that just saved a ton of money for the folks that had the 1.6 and early 1.8 from having to run out and start a 99 or newer build- Personally I think that was a great move by NASA to keep the SM groups strong and stay within the framework of "spec" which is really about impossible. If NASA didn't change the rules there is no question that the 99 and newer was the car to have... Restrictor plate is cheaper than lead, keeps the car weight the same and has proven over history to be a good way to keep 1.6 and 1.8 racing fairly balanced depending on tracks and driving style's.

Again this is only MO but It works for the K.I.S.S. mentality...
Shawn Sampson
Sampson Racing Communications
Mazda Miata PTE/E3

Toll Free 866-396-7231
www.SampsonRacing.com
www.RacingRadioWarehouse.com
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LeahEpting

LeahEpting

Scary Godmother

• SMembers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:WashDC, Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:07
Yup, I primarily run SSM in the DC region and have my engine sealed there. So I want to make sure that what I'm doing works in NASA. I could run SM, but really, it's an SSM and since I'll be lumped in with SM anyway, it still works. I just want to make sure the sealing process is going to fly. I can always heave a few more pounds in it.

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Yup, I primarily run SSM in the DC region and have my engine sealed there. So I want to make sure that what I'm doing works in NASA. I could run SM, but really, it's an SSM and since I'll be lumped in with SM anyway, it still works. I just want to make sure the sealing process is going to fly. I can always heave a few more pounds in it.

1.6 in SCCA trim should be 2275

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

AJElise

AJElise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Number:163
Leah, We typically have 8-10 cars running SSM in the NASA MA region. In 2010 our driver rep allowed the sealing process to be the same as for SSM MARRS = York Auto, RPP. Mike Rossini is the only true approved NASA Dyno for our area tho, so for Nationals at Mid-Ohio we would probably need to be resealed.

To my knowledge all SSM Cars in the MA region are also MARRS legal (Jim Thill, Timmy Tyrrell, Glenn Davis, Turk, Scott K, AJ G).
AJ
#163 SSM
2010 NASA MA Rookie of the Year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users