• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19
Quoted from Jim Dragos post. I did not want to hijack the other thread so
started a new one....

"Here is the entry list so far...
0 Brown, Cliff Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Talley Land Development Hoschton, GA
01 LaBounty, Jeff Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata-2 AutoTechnik Cape Coral, FL
2 Drago, Jim Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata East Street Racing Memphis, TN
3 Fowler, Tom Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Adept Studios OPM Autosports Cumming, GA
09 Cash, Mark Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Pombo Racing Kennesaw, GA
10 Russell, Luke Group1 National 1990 Mazda Miata Your Mom Fort Myers, FL
12 Sparks, Nathanial Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Spanish Fort, AL
28 Colledge, Dave Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Performance Plus Marketing Roswell, GA
39 Steyn, Danny Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Adept Studios/Rossini Engines/Traqmate/OPM Autosports Fort Lauderdale, FL
41 Stephens, Glenn Group1 National 1992 Mazda Miata Traqmate Alpharetta, GA
58 Sandlin, L. Patrick Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata East St Racing / Community mortgage Cordova, TN
59 Spence, Robert Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Midtown Tire, Atlanta GA. Atlanta, GA
63 Safriet, Philip Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Hendersonville, NC
67 Charbonneau, Andrew Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Delray Beach, FL
68 Coward, Bob Group1 National 1994 Mazda Miata Sentry Body and Paint / OPM AutoSports Grayson, GA
76 Van Vurst, Chip Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Pompano Beach, FL
78 Buras, Todd Group1 National 1990 Mazda Miata Krispy Kreme Melbourne, FL
78 Vassian, Eric Group1 National 1990 Mazda Miata Chuck Rosenblum Atlanta, GA
92 Topping, Chris Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata CT Motorsports, Alzheimers Foundation, Race Engineering, OPM Autosports Auburn, GA
94 Harrell, Denny Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata AutoTechniks, Engine Trends Mobile Dyno Fort Myers, FL
97 Tucker, Jamie Group1 National 1999 Mazda Miata Auto Techniks, Engine Trends Mobile Dyno Fort Myers, FL"

21 entries. 16 99s and 5 not.

I only have 2-3 yrs in this business but I seem to recall even a few years ago
entries were a lot more homogenous.

Everybody else (the not 99s) went to NASA?.

I'm bored. Just helping add to the post totals :rolleyes:

Regards
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Building a "not 99". But, i think you mean things used to be more heterogeneous.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

21 entries. 16 99s and 5 not.

Everybody else (the not 99s) went to NASA?.

I'm bored. Just helping add to the post totals :rolleyes:

Regards

Naw, their preping their 1.6's for the June Sprints :huh: & the Sprints results will be a reminder NOT to bring their 1.6 to the Runoffs. :rolleyes: :lol:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996
I feel like a real odd ball as I'm just about done building my 96 1.8
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

Building a "not 99". But, i think you mean things used to be more heterogeneous.

Hey now, :D
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Not that there's anything wrong with that. Posted Image

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Naw, their preping their 1.6's for the June Sprints :huh: & the Sprints results will be a reminder NOT to bring their 1.6 to the Runoffs. :rolleyes: :lol:

We are working on that.. We are planning to bring a very competitive 1.6 car and driver to the Sprints. Car has not been dynoed or tuned yet. If it makes the numbers it should, one of us will have some explaining to do :P

On a side note, and one MANY including the 1.6 faithful don't care to admit to.. The 1.6 is at a CLEAR ADVANTAGE at tracks like Blackhawk,Barber and MSR Houston.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

We are working on that.. We are planning to bring a very competitive 1.6 car and driver to the Sprints. Car has not been dynoed or tuned yet. If it makes the numbers it should, one of us will have some explaining to do :P

On a side note, and one MANY including the 1.6 faithful don't care to admit to.. The 1.6 is at a CLEAR ADVANTAGE at tracks like Blackhawk,Barber and MSR Houston.
Jim

Jim, put the crack pipe down and just back away

William Keeling

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

On a side note, and one MANY including the 1.6 faithful don't care to admit to.. The 1.6 is at a CLEAR ADVANTAGE at tracks like Blackhawk,Barber and MSR Houston. (and MSR Cresson, ridiculous overdog)

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
SCCA does not race at MSR-C and under the "unfair to 99s" NASA rules 2 of the 3 races this year had 99s on the podium. If BFC had run his 99 all three races whould have been won by a 99. Mike I did not know you smoked crack too :)

William Keeling

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

SCCA does not race at MSR-C and under the "unfair to 99s" NASA rules 2 of the 3 races this year had 99s on the podium. If BFC had run his 99 all three races whould have been won by a 99. Mike I did not know you smoked crack too :)

Blake would not have won in his 99 at Cresson. I drove both a 99 and my 1.6 there and it wasn't even close as to which was the better car for that track.

MSRH didn't have the new rules in place and it was cold so the 99 is the favorite in the cold weather, with the old rules, not sure with the new rules, probably still competitive in the cold because it is all about getting out of the slow turns. MSRH is the most neutral track in Texas, either car can win at almost any time at this track under NASA or SCCA rules.

TWS, 31 entries and 3 were 99'. One of them made the podium each day. NASA did run off the 99s in Texas, so perception is reality, that being said it was double the SCCA field that was running the same weekend. If I have to do it over again I would have gone to the NASA race, more people and a better track. Even if my 99 would have struggled to crack the top 10. ;)
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Blake would not have won in his 99 at Cresson. I drove both a 99 and my 1.6 there and it wasn't even close as to which was the better car for that track.

MSRH didn't have the new rules in place and it was cold so the 99 is the favorite in the cold weather, with the old rules, not sure with the new rules, probably still competitive in the cold because it is all about getting out of the slow turns. MSRH is the most neutral track in Texas, either car can win at almost any time at this track under NASA or SCCA rules.

TWS, 31 entries and 3 were 99'. One of them made the podium each day. NASA did run off the 99s in Texas, so perception is reality, that being said it was double the SCCA field that was running the same weekend. If I have to do it over again I would have gone to the NASA race, more people and a better track. Even if my 99 would have struggled to crack the top 10. ;)

so let me sum you up:

MSR-C (under NASA) not even close (even if a 99 was 2nd in race 1 and 3rd in race 3 with a driver not as good as BFC -- sorry Brett you are very good but not BFC good)

MSR-H same same (all cars all rules)

TWS 99 track (few of the best 99 drivers and cars attended and still 99 was poduim)

I stand corrected 99s needs help in both NASA and SCCA -- I will send my letter asking that they be allow to run with out a RP and drop weight to 2275 :rolleyes:

William Keeling

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

so let me sum you up:

MSR-C (under NASA) not even close (even if a 99 was 2nd in race 1 and 3rd in race 3 with a driver not as good as BFC -- sorry Brett you are very good but not BFC good)

MSR-H same same (all cars all rules)

TWS 99 track (few of the best 99 drivers and cars attended and still 99 was poduim)

I stand corrected 99s needs help in both NASA and SCCA -- I will send my letter asking that they be allow to run with out a RP and drop weight to 2275 :rolleyes:

MSRC, If the 99 is such an overdog why did Keith Verges run his 1.6 on Saturday? :blink: Keith Verges = Very good driver at his home track. According to you he chose to race and inferior car because he wanted to place 3rd. Brett's a member there also and he is no slouch at any track.

MSRH, please refute that any car with a top driver can win at this track.

TWS, Brett was one of the best drivers with a top prep 99 to attend so yes he made the podium at TWS. As you noted the talent pool was pretty shallow at TWS. (No offense Brett, you are usually faster than me) Had Andy,JP3 or Taylor F. shown up in a well preped 1.6 you wouldn't have a single 99 to hang your hat on.

By all means race the seriers you enjoy, but don't tell me that NASA has it right with the restrictor and weight changes. My personal opinion is that the 39mm restrictor with no weight change would have been a better attempt at parity. NASA chose to be an NA racing organization and they doubled the SCCA entry totals on the same weekend. NASA wins!! Just don't tell me the 37 mm plate creates parity at every track.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Jim

Same song different verse. Aw shucks we couldn't get above 108 ft lb or 125 hp. :blush: :blush: :blush:

I haven't been to Barber or MSR therefore no comment on them, BUT I know damn well Blackhawk is a DRIVERS (read, CLEAR ADVANTAGE) track. Why not bring your 99 some time Jim :excl: & I have never stated that the 1.6 didn't have parity on a drivers hustle track. As far as the 1.6 at Road America just pretend I'm from Missouri. What's the saying on the license plate for Missouri? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: Know me, naw that's not it.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19

Not sure what I said :huh: , but you all know what I meant B)

Due to an arduous Spring move to northern Florida I haven't had a
chance to try out my "New and Improved" 94 this year. Car is ready I
just need the time off to make it happen.

From what I saw last year :blink: , personnaly I would like to see each 99 drag a piano around the track to even things up. ;)

Regards
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users