• 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Forgot to say:
Posted Image
Approves of this forum post.

I know, I know, I know...it sounds "dirty" but that's why I want to wax it. :D

Does having a wax layer on your paint make it easier to remove the usual black streaks (plus anything else on the surface) you get from the goobers flying off other cars? Or does that just add to the work already done between events with the presumption panels and/or paint will be needed if not during, then at the end of the season?

Obviously colored donuts on the sides are going to be a bit harder to remove but I was curious if any racers do some weekend wax-on/wax-off of their racecars?

Thanks!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I use Simple Green to make my whites look there best.
(me hold a bottle next to my face with me smiling)
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
Brandon:

Now, try to forget my old white paint scheme. you know, the one that was decorated with bugs, tree bark, leaves, and missing paint.

Wax makes it much easier to get crap off the car. Hands down. My new years resolution (and new paint scheme resolution, and "now I have an enclosed trailer resolution") is to keep the car clean and waxed.

Also I have a great chemical to take the rubber off. We use it to clean roofing tar off things. I'll bring a bottle to LRP for you. Much easier than bug and tar remover.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
Wax off
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
I put on a coat of wax in March after all the fenders have been replaced and are freshly painted. Then I use a spray wax detailer between events. When the tire worm streaks get excessive, a liquid cleaner wax from any of the big names works well. I saw that Mothers just came out with a rubber remover designed for this very purpose. After July I stop caring about all the dents and tire rings and just wash it once a month and add cover-up stickers as needed.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12
You wash your racecars??! Seriously, wax helps a lot, because the rubber mark is on top of the wax and wax is easy to remove (compared to paint...).
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
For getting off rubber boogers, WD-40 works very well. For nastier stains like tire wall or bumper marks, 3M adhesive remover works well.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
At the Reno air races I was told that the difference in speed, in the T6 (Texan/SNJ) class, was the quality of the wax job. This is a spec class, with all the airplanes as spec as we are. This may also apply to the SM class.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
Nu Finish removes rubber marks easily.
Car shines as a side benefit.

Pre-wax does very little.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36
Wax it. WD-40 for rubber +1.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
I'm glad no one's yanked the wheel of the bus straight for the ditch and said something about polishing a "helmet".

:P

Thanks to all with your replies.

Can we keep the thread going with "How do you paint your cars? Color + clear? Color only with a good rub/polishing to bring out the shine?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
Rattlecan thats's close to the desired (factory) color when sprayed at below freezing temperatures.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

I'm glad no one's yanked the wheel of the bus straight for the ditch and said something about polishing a "helmet".

:P

Thanks to all with your replies.

Can we keep the thread going with "How do you paint your cars? Color + clear? Color only with a good rub/polishing to bring out the shine?

We just did some body work to our car. color + clear then buffed it. makes me wish we did the entire car. Not to mention it came out about 2x smoother. It also depends on the paint you use. From what I can tell, the car was painted with enamel. We didnt use enamel when we redid the side
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56
And about waxing the helmet.... I just got mine custom painted and I use Lucas SlickMist on it. Cleans up nice and adds a nice shine when you wipe off with a microfiber towl
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

At the Reno air races I was told that the difference in speed, in the T6 (Texan/SNJ) class, was the quality of the wax job. This is a spec class, with all the airplanes as spec as we are. This may also apply to the SM class.

I'm having a hard time believing that. Unless wax has some effect on the boundary layer, air velocity at the surface is still zero.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
Rain-X for removing rubber streaks; WD-40 for removing old sticker adhesive.

Wax your car at every opportunity...worth at least 5 seconds...

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I'm having a hard time believing that. Unless wax has some effect on the boundary layer, air velocity at the surface is still zero.

I'm not an engineer: why would you be surprised that it would reduce drag? At least at the leading edge of the surface?

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Racing to Cure ALS

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Keith.... HUSH UP! Let 'em wax on, wax off... nice clean fast Miata....
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Motor City Hamilton

Motor City Hamilton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51
This thread makes me wonder what Ralph Machio has been up to... well... besides Dancing with the Stars.

http://www.funnyordi...h-ralph-macchio

Caution, may contain swears.

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Number:17
Never have waxed my car, but I do Simple Green it after each race day (especially at Willow Springs, record # of bug kills there) And after each weekend I take a clay bar to it. No rubber mark is a match for that tag team :)
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users